And yet again, RTSS gave me smoothness - and asked nothing in return

Discussion in 'MSI AfterBurner Overclock Application Discussion' started by GPz, Oct 7, 2016.

1. GPz

GPz Active Member

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970
    I was playing the steam version of Quantum Break today (for the first time) and was shocked how unbelievably ****ty the framepacing in the game was... Until I fired up the framerate limiter of RTSS. In-game, I selected the ultra preset, disabled upscaling, enabled exclusive fullscreen, disabled vsync and disabled 'lock to 30'. Then I enabled a 30 fps lock in RTSS and voila - a buttery smooth, absolutely frame-perfect hard-locked 30 fps!

I'm one of those that like to max out the visuals of a game, and sacrifice fps if it's needed (I play most single-player games at max settings at 30 fps). But in order for 30 fps to feel good and responsive on a 60 hz display, you need to have a very tight lock to it. And RTSS delivers every. single. time., without exception.

No other utility, no driver-level implementation, and no game-specific implementation for fps-locking and -pacing comes anywhere near the framerate stability RTSS provides. Period.

After being saved yet again (for the n-th time in God knows how many games so far), I've realized how much I depend on this utility for having a smooth gaming experience. And then I remembered that Mr. Unwinder made it of his own free will, in his spare time, and gave it to the masses for free. Absolutely wonderful and inspirational!

So, with this thread I simply wanted to say thank you very, very much Sir for giving us a weapon to battle the shortcomings (that manifest time and again) of game engines.

I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one being grateful, so show our dear master-programmer some love, will ya?

P.S. Of course I adore Afterbuner too :)

2. DAOWAce

DAOWAce Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    wot.

3. Cyberdyne

Cyberdyne Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra
    Best fanfic I've read in awhile.
    Thank YOU GPz, the finish was something else.

4. GPz

GPz Active Member

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970
    Hm... I'm very sorry that people interpreted my post like this. I'd like to point out that I was not trying to be sarcastic in any way. It was meant as a sincere thank you to Mr. Unwinder, and nothing else.

And about that "buttery smooth 30 fps" - my aim was to say that you can get whatever fps at perfect pacing with RTSS. That includes locking to 60, 120 or whatever limit. It always does what you tell it to. I myself lock online games to 60, where it is objectively needed.

Hope this clears things up.