Analogue Games, do you still play them?

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by putty, Aug 27, 2014.

1. putty

putty Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Saffire AMD R9 285
    Hey there Guru's,

Me and a mate of mine have started a company that produces smartphone games and apps, and on the side we develop board and card games. At this moment we have the first thousand copies of our own cardgame in dutch gameshops.

In the Netherlands we noticed that there is still quite a market for board and card games. But we have no clue as of how this market is in other countries. And since we are also looking to translate our game to English, German and French, I thought it was a good idea to take a peek here to see if any of you Guru's still actually do play games!

And if so, what kind of games do you generally play most?

2. BuildeR2

BuildeR2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 Ti FTW3
    Yes! I play lots of card and dice based games. I meet twice a month with a group of about 40 people who live and love card games. Mainly deck builders and Dominion, but we let people bring any kind of game for us to try out.

Myself and my 4 closest friends play all of the Lord of the Rings deck builders when we have free time not taken up by PC games, console games or life in general.

One of my friends is in the process of making a card/dice game and I've helped him play test it for about 3 months now. Best of luck to you!

3. kanej2007

kanej2007 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 TI 11GB
    You mean like monopoly, chess, checkers and connect 4? :)

4. elkosith

elkosith Maha Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 840M
    haven't played any in years
    used to play monopoly with my nephew and niece

5. kanej2007

kanej2007 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 TI 11GB
    Isn't it great when you land on houses and pay the rent and pay income tax every time you pass go? :D

6. BLEH!

BLEH! Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury
    Been wargaming for years if that counts. Started on GW (40K mostly, still play every now and again), but moved onto historical and WWII systems in the past few years. Quite a fulfilling hobby.

7. elkosith

elkosith Maha Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 840M
    That's the best of it!

8. Ryu5uzaku

Ryu5uzaku Ancient Guru

GPU:
    5700 XT UV 1950~
    I love analogue games. Magic the gathering, yahtzee, cards, board games. Good fun.

9. FULMTL

FULMTL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AOC 27"
    I don't personally play, but there is a gaming center for Magic The Gathering card game in Portland, Oregon.

Card games are still very popular in Tokyo, but I'm not sure what they play. There are many stores that sell cards, and have another room for card tables.

10. dsbig

dsbig Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2070
    back in the 80s-90s I used to play alot of cards games and boardgames.

dont anymore though.. internet took over that time used

11. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080Ti @h2o
    I would certainly play boardgames. I tried tabletop too when I was younger, but I no longer have the time to paint all those little buggers. And I was into Magic The Gathering too, but it ends up in costing you so much money... too much for my taste.
    But it all sums up to: do you have anybody to play with? Even with monopoly, risk and others in my closet, there seldomly comes an opportunity to play those games anymore with friends. The last time we played risk was probably two years ago? These days we regularely team up to play BF4 with everybody sitting in front of his computer at home... Video games killed the board game star... or something like that.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2014
  12. Darkest

Darkest Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HD7950
    I'd say there's a fair market for it in the UK, although it can depend on which part of the country you're in to an extent.