An overview of Ubisofts downgraded games (video)

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jun 7, 2016.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Hah, intersting compilation video. This comparison shows differences inbetween E3 demos and the retail version of recent Ubisoft games. I encourage you to not only focus on textures or lighting, but a...

An overview of Ubisofts downgraded games (video)

2. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080Ti @h2o
    Made me laugh greatly, and reasures me that not buying ubicrap games is the right way for me personally.

3. shymi

shymi Member Guru

GPU:
    Asus R9 280
    Wow, I knew about the downgrades, but seeing them side by side with the demos is frightening. BTW was it me or even the sound assets were downgraded(Rainbow part of the video)?

4. fantaskarsef

GPU:
    2080Ti @h2o
    It was, it was even noted that it's not only graphics downgrades.

5. BlueRay

BlueRay Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070 FTW
    People should really stop buying heavily downgraded games and they should really stop pre-ordering games. And we should stop buying crap DLC's.

6. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Let's see if they become more honest as Vivendi lmao.

7. InfinityX

InfinityX Member

GPU:
    2x GTX 970 SLI
    Wow!, Just Wow! I knew it was going on, particularly in WD, but to see it all side-by-side like that really beggars belief.

What I don't understand is why they do this? Is it that they build these huge Worlds, spend months manicuring great assets, texture maps, and shaders on an overpowered devkit?, i.e., so when compiled for the actual target console they realise its overspecced and they have to downgrade for FPS or resolution? Is it pressure from Sony, MS, or Ubisoft Execs to normalise content across all console and PC graphics 'just' to ensure sales on the target console platform?

I haven't enjoyed an Ubisoft game since AC:Blackflag. I most certainly would never pre-order an Ubisoft title after watching that video.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2016
  8. fantaskarsef

GPU:
    2080Ti @h2o
    You do understand why they do this ;)

Yeah, it has to run on consoles, they like annoying the smaller part of their sales, PC community, than miss out on 5 million sold console copies... it's a business decision. It's just a shame they could do so much better, push their energy into obviously better graphics, and then they have to throw it away. It's just that those games have to run on old hardware, and even with downgraded resolution it seems to still stress consoles with lots of effects.

9. Xuanzang

Xuanzang Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080
    Boycott Ubisoft for false/deceptive advertising. It's a big joke.

10. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX980 SLI
    First YT comment under the vid lol

11. Backstabak

Backstabak Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte Rx 5700xt
    I really like, how this article came out 2 min after the "WatchDogs 2 Hello World Teaser".

12. Xuanzang

Xuanzang Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080
    lol !! And he is absolutely right.:nerd:

13. kosh_neranek

kosh_neranek Master Guru

GPU:
    Palit GTX 1070@2101 Boost
    Not that it would be a surprise but this video is scandalous.One should be able to get a full refund at anytime without questions especially when preordering and ideally be able to sue them.Imagine McDonalds advertising their new burger only to find out that once you buy it in real world it's gonna miss tomatoes,mayo and the meat will be from rats..So happy I haven't spent a single penny on UBI in years.And it will surely stay that way :puke2:

14. jaykop

jaykop Active Member

GPU:
    1080 g1 gaming sli
    To be honest I think it should be illegal to show a game at the top graphics end but then downgrade it to the point it looks like a completely different game these company's that promote a fantastically good looking games then sell us a completely downgrade item not just in sound but graphics as well is a disgrace:bang:

Last edited: Jun 7, 2016
  15. shymi

shymi Member Guru

GPU:
    Asus R9 280
    Uh, I didn't read the description properly, sorry about that, but still - the guns and the sound effects are abysmal compared to the demo :(

16. fantaskarsef

GPU:
    2080Ti @h2o
    Didn't try to bash you, I was surprised myself that I could actually hear the difference. Not that my hearing is bad (it's actually above average for my age), but that a yt video and my work laptop's speakers could bring it out!

17. shymi

shymi Member Guru

GPU:
    Asus R9 280
    Bashing? Where was it? :D Don't worry - it is a habit of mine to apologize for mistake, that was noted :)
    BTW, I agree with the others - there shouldn't be such practices and if there are - they must be punished. That being said though, even The Witcher 3 had that, but it's still a beautiful game(+ oh, that amazing soundtrack).

18. bigfutus

bigfutus Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 Ti
    I bought Far Cry 4 for few bucks on Steam sale, and i don't complain :)

19. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1080 Mini
    And i though Watch dogs looked good, until i saw what that video. lol

Oh well, thankfully i never pre-order or buy at launch these days, so i am free of getting caught out on this stuff, but bummer for the pre-order crowd. lol

20. fantaskarsef

GPU:
    2080Ti @h2o
    Could have gotten it for free, still politely declined ;)
    But you're right, on a budget things look different. Not much to complain about graphical fidelity if you don't pay 60€ launch price, the pricing argument changes things greatly (or if the game is already a year old etc.)