An Introduction to HBM - High Bandwidth Memory Article

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, May 18, 2015.

1. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    As long as there is no air gap at all, heat will spread with no issues.

2. Robbo9999

Robbo9999 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    Thanks for that info, as I suspected it could be then, I've seen some other links since you posted that confirm this too.

Well, different materials have different thermal conductivity, which is why heatsinks and thermal pastes are made of the materials they're made of - high thermal conductivity where possible. (Well, thermal pastes aren't highly thermal conductive, but at least the better ones have higher thermal conductivity figures). But I agree, an air gap is horrendous for heat transfer, air is an insulator effectively, but it is important to use the right material for thermal transfer - see the heat issues caused by moving from solder for the IHS with Intel.

3. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    That heat would just sit there in that air pocket, and another issue that could happen while it's very low chance of happening but moisture could get in that air pocket.

4. Reddoguk

Reddoguk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3090 GB GamingOC
    So my concerns about the skyscraper effect are unwarranted as H personally asked AMD about my questioning of HSF removal and the worry about damaging gfx cards.

Still they may only be answering the question i posed about 1st Gen HBM because it can only achieve 4 stacks but Gen 2 will be 8, 16, 32 stacks(?) and then they might have an issue with the skyscraper effect. I'm not sure if it means 4x4 Gen 1 =4 gb but future Gens maybe 8x8 or 4x8 or 8x4?

5. icedman

icedman Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI MECH RX 6750XT
  6. JulesCools

JulesCools Guest

GPU:
    Titan Black SLI
    Talking four years now where a crossfire 7950 or 7970 setup is much more powerful than most (any?) single gpu. This is getting real boring real quick. With dx12 they get pooled memory. So basically, who f'ing cares it's just another little boost.

7. Elder III

Elder III Guest

GPU:
    6900 XT Nitro+ 16GB
    Thanks Hilbert, I think understand how HBM works now. I know I didn't before reading this article. :)

8. sverek

sverek Guest

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    What are the demerits of HBM compared to DDR5?

9. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Wrote it before, 4GB of vram is enough for me, just bring in The GPU AMD.
    Once APU gets HBM as L3 cache or any other cache, we are on next level.

I can see mobile Zen APU equipped with HBM2 only, to save power and so much space.

10. CK the Greek

CK the Greek Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2060S
    We need unified RAM tech...(similar to consoles), imagine 16+ of these..

11. Humanoid_1

Humanoid_1 Guest

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080 X Trio
    So, I am getting the impression AMD is holding the reigns on HBM and will be able to charge licence fees to NVidia / Intel etc for it's use for years to come?

If so this could help give AMD a serious financial boost for years to come helping them become more competative in the R&D field, even though they seem to be doing amazingly well on such a low current budget! ^^

12. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    I do not know what who exactly is holder of IP, since it is AMD+Hynix who made this.
    But would be nice if AMD got few $ per HBM sold by Hynix.