An Idea - Fridge Case

Discussion in 'Die-hard Overclocking & Case Modifications' started by _A-c-3_, Jul 28, 2007.

1. _A-c-3_

_A-c-3_ Master Guru

GPU:
    TriFire HIS 4890's
    ok now i was thinking about this the other day thought i would share get some opinions and ideas on the matter.

So basically my idea is:

A square BAR FRIDGE with a glass front panel/door. All shelves removed with a custom built metal frame to hole the mobo abd hard ware etc in any combination to suit the owner so say for instance u have some very sweet looking vid cards u could turn mobo upside down etc to show them off.

once that is done its a simple case of drilling a hole through the fridge caseing to pass the wires through. ( i was thinking taking ends of and threading them through then putting ends back on to minimise the size of the holes) once all wires are posistioned seal with some all sealer to stop cold air release. Run all ure keyboard etc also through same kind of hole. ( if wanted to make this profesional a plug board that u plug needed wires into from inside wihich then allows u to plug from outside to the required hardware.

now of course the idea of this would be to have a fridge with a thermostat to keep a constant temp of say 20 degrees i feel would be nice. so to do this u dont want to be opening the front to insert cd's dvd's what have you. so have a custom built side monting for cd rom drive dvd burners etc and pass wires through a hole to the PSU inside of fridge.

now of course the fridge could look plain etc so then you awesome custom modders could easily make it look flash with a paint job or add ons / lights etc.

also it would eliminate the use of fans (much more quite) and save some power from the psu as its only running needed hardware. As u all know lil bar fridges (good ones) run very quite and compared to what a normal pc on air sounds like it would be like a very light wisper i would imagine.

now for some pros and cons and lil things i thought of like:

Pros: could look extremly sweet show off your insides to suite u
    run at very cool temps so imagine overclocking ability
    would be a totally new idea COPY RIGHT :p

Cons:

well only one i can think of and hence why i want opinions

with the comp generating heat inside of the fridge that is generating cold air it could cause condensation :S i dont really know hence y i am asking :D

well thats the idea some feedback would be cool and i think i might run some old tests with a crap old machine in the fridge i have and see how the condensation thing goes.

Cheers

2. -Ruin-

-Ruin- Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus GTX 1060 6GB
    Don't think it would work,

with the comp generating heat inside of the fridge that is generating cold air it could cause condensation

3. volcom

volcom Maha Guru

GPU:
    XFX XXX 7900GTX @ 749/1927 VX2025VM
    It's not the fact of questioning causing condensation.. it undoubtedly will.

4. _A-c-3_

_A-c-3_ Master Guru

GPU:
    TriFire HIS 4890's
    thats what i thought lol still would be interesting if u could some how get around that problem imagine the temps lol

5. mameira

mameira Maha Guru

GPU:
    eVGA 470 GTX
    wont it create ice, then damage ur pc? :p

6. volcom

volcom Maha Guru

GPU:
    aka condensation.. and.. have you seen the underwater mineral water computer? google it.

7. Matt151b

Matt151b Master Guru

GPU:
    Gtx 1080
    Condensation would kill it. Might get creative with some desiccant to dry the air in the fridge. Desiccant could then be regenerated (baked in oven) every few days/weeks.

desiccant could be a spelling typo, sorry

8. G-Man

G-Man Maha Guru

GPU:
    Sparkle 8800GTS 640MB
    been thought of before, wouldnt work - too much condensation

9. fischju

fischju Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Visiontek Radeon HD 4850
    How you described wouldn't work, but using a fridge to cool a PC is possible. You have to have the unit seperated from the components, and have plenty of air movement.

10. maxfly

maxfly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x GTX 980 TI
    you could get around the condensation by sealing the mb up in plastic etc but you couldnt get around the fridge not being able to handle the heatdump of a typical gpu and cpu.they arent made to cool hot things...this has been tried before unfortunately.

11. Norvekh

Norvekh Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2080 Ti
    Why not dump the components inside a tub of mineral oil, inside the fridge? You know, no worries of condensation and the mineral oil is non-conductive. I'm just not sure how viscous the oil would be at 5-15C. If you could somehow keep it agitated in there it could solve the condensation issue while at the same time solving the issue of mineral oil heating up too much when used in open air.

12. Psytek

Psytek Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x 260 GTX 216 SLI
    A very good idea.

13. Sparx

Sparx Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus HD 6950 OC 2GB
    Too dense and well; immerse your motherboard in that and you'll probably never be able to clean it again.

14. ipods_are_gay

ipods_are_gay Active Member

GPU:
    BFG 8800gts 640mb OC2
    me and my dad were actually going to try this some day, we haven't really thought it through yet but i think we were going to run a duct from a small portable fridge to blow the cool air from the fridge into the PC, or perhaps there is some better way of utilizing a fridge- i'm sure we'll fine out

15. stansdds

stansdds Member Guru

GPU:
    Leadtek 7950GT 512 MB
    Somewhere along the line I read an article that described completely sealing the computer case and filling it with vegetable oil. It did work, nothing shorted out. Seems to me they also had a pump and radiator to keep the oil cool. Far too much work for me, I'll stick to air cooling.

16. volcom

volcom Maha Guru

GPU:
    Its been done, as I said earlier in my post... http://www.atomicmpc.com.au/article.asp?CIID=26054

17. Solinari

Solinari Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI N560GTX-Ti Twin Frozr
    Isn't phase change or cascade cooling just a fridge 'engine' in a box connected to a CPU or whatever?

18. Sparx

Sparx Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus HD 6950 OC 2GB
  19. Chud Hammer

Chud Hammer Member Guru

GPU:
    His IceQ HD3870XT
  20. G L

G L Don Juan

GPU:
    Leadtek 8800 GTS 640 MB 600/1000
    Yeah, phase change is the same idea but the refridgerant basically dumps onto the CPU block. Like maxfly said, I don't think you can get away too cheap trying to convert something else to cool your system. Just because it can cool your drinks does not mean it will cool something creating 200-300 watts of heat.