American cars... are they all like this?

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by The Chosen 1, Dec 15, 2009.

1. Ryu5uzaku

Ryu5uzaku Ancient Guru

GPU:
    5700 XT UV 1950~
    In Europe, they start at a 1.4, 80hp gas engine with 47mpg(5.1l/100km). <--- i get around 5.3 with 2l 140hp engine on a highway else its 6-7l and for city 9-10l depending on how much i do pointless accelerating from light to light -.-

2. wubbles

wubbles Maha Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX560Ti 1Ghz
    A negative correlation :thumbup:

3. PR-0927

PR-0927 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GeForce GTX 680 SC+
    American cars tend to be like that, yes. This is why Japanese cars so successfully entered the U.S. car market in the 70s during the OPEC oil embargoes - they offered cheaper vehicles with MUCH better mileage.

Granted, Japanese cars sucked at the time in quality and durability/reliability, while American cars were best. Since then, however, things have switched entirely. Japan's at the forefront with reliability, along with BMW from Germany. American car reliability sucks.

- PR-0927

4. jeffmorris

jeffmorris Maha Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 760
    Until a few years ago, people in USA usually want the biggest SUV with the powerful V8 engine. Now, a small car or a small SUV is OK. Chrysler Motors and General Motors filed for bankruptcy and got bailout money. Mercedes-Benz sold Chrysler Motors to Fiat Motors. General Motors will be discontinuing a few divisions such as Pontiac and Saturn. I think that General Motors sold the Hummer division to a Chinese car maker.

5. malky

malky Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2080
    My vehicle has a 5.7L V8 with 210HP and gets 16 MPG highway....and sleeps 4 comfortably. :)

6. IcE

IcE Don Snow Staff Member

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1070 Mini
    As I've said already, the reliability of American cars (Ford particularly) is now easily at the level of the Japanese and European manufacturers. They aren't retarded, they understood that they needed to start making **** that works or they weren't going to be around for much longer.

7. hawkeyefan

hawkeyefan Maha Guru

GPU:
    8800GT @ 787/1944/2244
    I can't believe it hasn't been pointed out yet that US gallons != Imperial gallons.

Diesels are a tough sell in most northern states in the US, because they won't start in winter unless you can keep a block heater plugged in, which isn't a viable option for most people. In Minnesota, diesel fuel basically turns to jello three months of the year.

New BMWs are fine, but used models do not have good reliability ratings in the States when compared with Japanese cars. The same is true for all German makes. Now, even knowing that, we drive a 2009 328i xDrive sedan because I don't care for the Japanese alternatives, or for the Cadillac CTS. Plus it will never get past warranty, so meh.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2009
  8. Stukov

Stukov Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6970/4870X2 (both dead)
    Typically American cars have tough emission standards (due to California), which rules out diesel, as well as long cold winters that cause diesel to gel...hence why so few diesels though their performance/MPG is better.

In addition, American cars require more HP than typical European or Asian counterparts for a variety of reasons. One, American cars are heavier, due to size and safety requirements. The safety equipment weighs the vehicle down which reduces performance and MPG. Two the vehicles are larger to accommodate some family sizes in addition to, three drive distances.

In Europe the majority of population lives in cities, this allows each person to have better access to public transportation, in addition if a family of 5 needs to go to soccer practice, dance recitals, or football games, they can take public transportation. In the US, especially in more rural or suburban areas public transportation is not available and the distances to these types of events require you to have a larger vehicle.

I'm not saying everyone needs SUV's and Trucks, though both of those are needed around here in Iowa/South Dakota/Nebraska/Minnesota because good amounts of snowfall in the winter (which 4 wheel drive and height matters) and because many people have stuff to be towed or hauled (rock/dirt/boats/etc).

It is a matter of culture, laws, and environment.

9. Tat3

Tat3 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB GTX 1660 Ti OC
    If you are comparing Ford to Peugeot, Renault, Citro├źn or Fiat, then it's superior (about anything is). I don't know how well it does vs. others.

10. The Chosen 1

The Chosen 1 Master Guru

GPU:
    2x 6870 MSI TwinFrozer II

Maybe in America ... 90hp is good enough for me... I almost had a few accidents due to speeding with a 60hp (!!!!!) Volkswagen Golf... I like speed too but gas costs a lot of money in Europe...

You guys can have your license at 16 right? I'm 19 and I already do all this dumb ****... i can only imagine a 16 year old on a v8...

Diesel cars are indeed amazing. I know exactly what you are talking about because i have a friend that is interested in a 118d and so i have already seen the specifications of each of those engines.
    BMW really did something there with that Efficients Dynamics thing.

I was watching a video somewhere with some random guy and saw that he owned a NORMAL pickup with V8 written on the side. I was like " Why the **** would you need a V8 on pickup that is driven in the city? ".

Guess where he was from...

At least that.

That was one model i was talking about. I'm certain that there are better engines out there. You are talking about a diesel or a gas engine?

And I very much doubt that you get that fluctuation in consumption unless you like to redline your car a few times a day like some idiots out there.

That's an abomination. With that engine i would have guessed you had something like 600hp.

11. Sash

Sash Ancient Guru

GPU:
    video
    that is depressing lol, from what year i might ask?

12. -Ruin-

-Ruin- Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus GTX 1060 6GB
    My 3.7 V6 gets 215 hp...20 MPG

13. allesclar

allesclar Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070
    my 2.0 16v gets 270hp and roughly 26mpg when pushed :)

Last edited: Dec 16, 2009
  14. Sash

Sash Ancient Guru

GPU:
    video
    right...
    my turbocharged 2.0 20v has 300 HP and 295 lb/ft or 400 nm torque and does 18 MPG (american) or 14 / 100 km or 6.8 km per liter when i floor it

15. Goliath182

Goliath182 Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 5970 Redline
    Sounds like a nice vehicle there. :) Let me guess 95 Tahoe?

16. Goliath182

Goliath182 Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 5970 Redline
    LMAO haha 26 MPH :p

Cubes still rule!

17. allesclar

allesclar Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070
    lol oh dear :p

corrected

18. Sash

Sash Ancient Guru

GPU:
    video
    let's hear some emissions, i bet American cars fail at this a lot, and i do not insult them, they just do. Mine already failed with 205g/km (stock is 199 but mine is not stock :p)

19. Norvekh

Norvekh Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2080 Ti
    Emissions standards in the US are awful. That's one of the reasons the DeLorean tanked in the US. After meeting emissions standards it was pulled down to under 100HP which completely crippled the car's performance. Emissions standards have only gotten tougher since the 80s.

Secondly, speed limits in the US are higher than found in many countries, but especially in Texas where the speed limit on some highways is 80MPH, with legislation to potentially increase it to 85 or 90. When you're talking about so many places in the US where it's a long straight line to get from one place to another, you want to do so quickly and comfortably. So we drive big cars with big engines. This is also a result of the overwhelming car culture in the US. We put a very heavy value on car ownership.

Another reason is that because of our preference to larger vehicles, also seen in our preference to larger homes, many Americans believe in the tank mentality. Bigger = better and safer is the idea. It's not necessarily true, but considering the volume of semi truck traffic in the nation, it's not exactly an unwarranted way of thinking either. Semis are rampant in the US and it's uncomfortable to be around them in a full size car, let alone a tiny compact or sub-compact. Having more mass around you at least provides more mass to absorb the impact should an accident occur.

Gas is cheap, air is for the most part clean outside the major cities (as with any major cities), and family vacations are often long and arduous journeys. For example, we would go visit family in Florida from here, and when we lived in Florida we would visit family in Ohio. That's nearly 800 miles for one way. I can say that spending that time in a minivan was preferable to spending it in a smaller car, plus it allowed for more luggage storage. My aunt's family typically goes on vacation from Ohio to Washington (state), a distance of around 3000 miles due to their detour through Wyoming due to family there, and that's only one way! A short trip in the US is upwards of 100 miles and it's cheaper to do so in a car than to go by air, let alone train which is enormously expensive compared to European/Japanese train fees.

The bottom line is that Europe and Japan have completely different needs and wants in their automobiles than most Americans. We want large cars which are comfortable for long distances often times. We have astoundingly poor public transit infrastructure, especially when going across State lines, heck, even county lines even. In this area for instance Montgomery county has its own transit system, which primarily is in the city of Dayton and immediately surrounding areas. While Greene county has another transit system called CATS. I can't catch either where I live and would have to walk in miles in any direction to find one. Or I can simply turn the key in my Mazda 6 (which weighs over 2 tons and has a 1.6L i4 putting out roughly 140HP) and go wherever I like, such as an hour and a half drive to Cincinnati (about 40 miles away) or Columbus (80 miles away but far, far better road infrastructure allowing twice the distance in the same amount of time).

So, until I can catch a train or bus near my home which can take me the 12 miles to campus, which goes over county and city lines, I'll stick to my car, and would likely still stick with it so I can keep to my own schedule.

20. Sash

Sash Ancient Guru

GPU:
    video
    does LA have a solid transit system? i saw on CNN a report about LA... it has 6 million cars for 12 mil people