American cars... are they all like this?

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by The Chosen 1, Dec 15, 2009.

1. Xendance

Xendance Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia Geforce 570
    Ah, well I'm not into cars so I don't know about the models etc :p
    But yea, fuel consumption doesn't really depend on the road, it's up to the driver.

2. hawkeyefan

hawkeyefan Maha Guru

GPU:
    8800GT @ 787/1944/2244
    Thanks, confused myself there. The A4 we drove definitely lacked defeatable stability control. I was shown another (higher) equipment package that had the button for turning it off between the center console and the shifter - this one didn't. You could turn off traction control but not ESP - do I have that right? It was one but not the other. I'm almost certain it was ESP button that was lacking. I have a hard time keeping all the damn acronyms straight...DSC/DTC, ESP.

We've got the 328xi, no snows for now, so far so good. Though I was skeptical at first that they would be sticky enough, and we might put on snows anyway. We'll see.

3. nvlddmkm

nvlddmkm Banned

GPU:
    EVGA GTX285
    I wonder what a couple of solobaric 12's would be like in one!

4. ElementalDragon

ElementalDragon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    eVGA RTX 2070
    ..... don't really think that'd be the greatest idea.... mostly because it has that same air-tight feeling to it like some Volkswagens have. Where a door is MUCH easier to close if the other door or the hatch is open.

As for the whole thing with traction control and stability control.... I believe the Smart's active safety features are quite well rounded out.

http://www.smartusa.com/smart-fortwo-active-safety-features.aspx

Electronic Stability Program (esp)
    Electronic Brake-Force Distribution Control (EBD)
    ABS (hopefully you know this one. lol)
    Cornering Brake Control (CBC)
    Electronic Brake Assist (BAS)
    Acceleration Skid Control (ASC) and Engine Torque Control (ETC)
    Hill Start Assist (HSA)

That's just the active safety features. Should check out the website to see every safety feature, both active and passive. They really crammed a LOT of safety into such a tiny package. Can also look at www.safeandsmart.com to see a bunch of owner stories about accidents they had. Really is one remarkable little vehicle.

I know.... i sound like a Smart advocate.... but i drive one, and i freakin love the thing.

edit: Well..... in the snow.... i'm pretty sure it wouldn't be bad in a few inches. We got maybe 5 inches of snow where i live (Lehighton, PA). Tried making it out the driveway prior to anything being done to it..... made it a fair bit from where it was parked.... but as soon as it started really goin through the snow and started to slow down, it was done. Do i think it'd be possible to make it out the driveway? Yes. Do i think it'd be anywhere remotely possible with the tires the Brabus version came with that are more of a street tire than an all weather tire? Hell no. Wiped my hand across the top of the rear driver side tire, and it was quite smooth...... as were the tracks i made on several attempts to make it out.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2009

5. nm+

nm+ Don Cappuccino Staff Member

GPU:
    old
    Get some snow tires.
    Snow tires don't just make things easy, they make them fun!
    weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!
    [​IMG]

6. Denny85

Denny85 Master Guru

GPU:
    none
    mazda rx8 is good example i don't have i drive bmw but anyway

1.3L 230HP City 18 , Highway 24 – 25 and it CHEAP.. 4 door kinda!

this is offtopic but heck i just wanted to say something

7. gurusan

gurusan Master Guru

GPU:
    5850 @ 1000MHz
    a good example of what? :/

8. Risco

Risco Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 650M
    Engines are bigger in the US, not because they need them, but due to fuel being so cheap for years and americans pereception that a bigger engine is a necessary evil; rather than for bragging rights.

This is now proven since fuel prices have skyrocketed in the US, and they are all complaining how much it costs to fill up their tanks! If the engines had been built on better efficiency, and the cars smaller then this issue would not have been so bad. I appreciate the distances to travel between states and areas is further than in a EU country, but that does not justify having or needing these 4-6 litre engines!

9. morbias

morbias Don TazeMeBro Staff Member

GPU:
    -
    Hey man, you can't compare the power output of a rotary engine with the output of a piston engine!

10. gurusan

gurusan Master Guru

GPU:
    5850 @ 1000MHz
    Engine efficiency decreases with increased displacement as well. At least there are some more boosted cars being sold now.

11. jeffmorris

jeffmorris Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 760
    When I started seeing the tiny SmartForTwo cars on the streets, I thought that bigger vehicles could destroy the cars and kill the people riding in them but after reading the stories from owners who got into accidents and finding out that the company made the cars as strong as possible, I wish that everybody drive the SmartForTwo cars to work instead of bigger vehicles.

12. rflair

rflair Don Commisso Staff Member

GPU:
    5700XT/290X
    Ford tied Toyota for build quality last year.

And BMW reliable, don't make me laugh, you will be hard pressed to find old BMW's in Canada, they cost to much to maintain. Brakes on a BMW all wheels would be the same cost of brakes on a Ford but you would have enough money to buy new rims afterward with the Ford.

13. gurusan

gurusan Master Guru

GPU:
    5850 @ 1000MHz
    Yeah I missed that, BMW reliable? LOL

I do luv'em though.

14. ElementalDragon

GPU:
    eVGA RTX 2070
    jeffmorris: Yeah... i just get tired of seeing all these people driving Escalade's and Hummers and crap to work. Seriously.... it's just you in the driver seat... nobody else. Why do you need space for an extra 4-7 imaginary passengers on your work commute?

15. gurusan

gurusan Master Guru

GPU:
    5850 @ 1000MHz
    Even if you did, an Escalade or Hummer would not be ideal :p

16. ElementalDragon

GPU:
    eVGA RTX 2070
    haha.... yea. Could have 5-7 imaginary passengers sitting on each other's lap in the passenger seat of a smaller car.... say... a Smart ForTwo. :p

17. hawkeyefan

hawkeyefan Maha Guru

GPU:
    8800GT @ 787/1944/2244
    Petrol is cheap in the U.S. Never really got expensive in the first place.

Americans who bitch about fuel prices tend to have their priorities out of whack. $4k monthly mortgage, $1200 in monthly car payments and they're pissing and moaning about an extra hundred bucks a month in gas. Obviously, not everyone falls into that category, but loads of people do. Fuel isn't what typically is pinching people's budgets. So many just have every last dollar spent before it comes in, so there isn't room for anything to go wrong.

18. gurusan

gurusan Master Guru

GPU:
    5850 @ 1000MHz
    Fuel is about 2.5 times more than it was when I started driving 10 years ago. I would say that's a significant increase. Just because it's not 99p/ liter like here in the UK doesn't mean it's not expensive.

19. nm+

nm+ Don Cappuccino Staff Member

GPU:
    old
    This isn't always true.
    A 6.0L corvette will equal or beat many cars with smaller engines weighing the same amount.
    While efficiency at peak is improved, it fails to account for engines that can turn 1000rpms easily.
    Further, it also doesn't account for differences between engines. A pushrod engine will need more L to make the same power as an OHC but will be lighter (as well as more compact, allowing for better packaging).
    For example:
    Compare a 1998 Pontiac Bonneville (which is a crappy car) with the 3800 V6, a pushrod motor with the 1998 Toyota Camry with a 3.0L v6 (OHC)
    The Bonneville is a large sedan unlike the camry which is epa midsize. The camry is 200lbs less.
    The 3800 makes 205 hp and 230 ft/lbs@4000
    The 3.0L makes 194hp and 205@4400
    (they both do about 8 sec 0-60)

This higher torque number allowed pontiac to gear the car for better economy, allowing the larger, 200lb heavier car to slightly edge out the camry in EPA test 17/26 v. 17/25.

20. gurusan

gurusan Master Guru

GPU:
    5850 @ 1000MHz
    You are bringing gearing into it.

When talking about the motor only with identical compression ratios, as displacement increases efficiency decreases. The increased surface area means more heat leaves the cylinder, leaving less heat to do work.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2009