American cars... are they all like this?

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by The Chosen 1, Dec 15, 2009.

1. Sash

Sash Ancient Guru

GPU:
    video
    really? i tough a nice looking car is a penis extension when you lack one

2. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    THIS is a truck btw....: ;)

[​IMG]

(I used to drive it)

Last edited: Dec 18, 2009
  3. hawkeyefan

hawkeyefan Maha Guru

GPU:
    8800GT @ 787/1944/2244
    Depending on where you live, driving something like a Dodge Challenger or Camaro would be a hurdle to meeting women rather than a benefit.

4. FlawleZ

FlawleZ Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Radeon R9
    No, I believe you're referring to the really short guys that get out of these:

[​IMG]

I laugh everytime I see it.

5. scheherazade

scheherazade Ancient Guru

GPU:
    fullHDs
    I was thinking continental Europe :), it definitely gets worse the farther east you go.

Around here in Northern Virginia, a 'common' road, nothing impressive, is 2 lanes each way.
    A road through a normal town like manassas or centerville or fredericksburg is 3 lanes each way.
    66 or 95 or 495 get as wide as 6 lanes each way, depending on where you are.

I've been in Spain, France, Germany, England, Poland, Italy, Czech republic, Belgium, Netherlands.
    Other than Germany or Britain, I rarely saw a road wider than 2 lanes each way.

I just 'feel' a difference.
    DC to New York in 3.5 hours, 225 miles.
    That's 2/3 of the width of France (at the narrower part).
    Can you drive From Geneve to La Rochelle, or Geneve to Bordeaux in 5:15?
    I can't imagine making it that far in so little time over there.
    Maybe you can, I don't know... I haven't tried. I just have the feeling that it's not going to happen. So many cities in between, and so many people going on/off the highway, so much local traffic.

-scheherazade

6. allesclar

allesclar Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070
    Have you seen the conditions of the roads here in sheffield? Been noted as the worst in europe for a major city, hence we have just been given a multi-billion pound investment from the EU to get them fixed

About bloody time too.

7. nvlddmkm

nvlddmkm Banned

GPU:
    EVGA GTX285
    Touché!!!

Last edited: Dec 19, 2009
  8. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    RTX 2070FE
    Or women.

9. ElementalDragon

ElementalDragon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    eVGA GTX 1070
    Yea.... just like the idiots that throw a muffler with a 4-inch tailpipe on a 4-cylinder honda civic cause they think it makes their car a performance beast or something. Can't help but laugh, cause they make a perfectly good car sound like a perfectly good garden variety weed whacker.

As for the whole car thing..... I pretty much saw the light before gas prices skyrocketed here in the US. put a reservation on the car that i'm driving now, which is currently my avatar. 2009 Smart ForTwo Brabus Passion Coupe. 1.0L, 70HP, 3-cylinder..... averaging around 43mpg across the tank. Don't have a ScanGauge yet.... so i'm not exactly sure what i'm getting separately for city/highway..... but i'm guessing by the 43mpg average, that neither of them are what could be considered remotely bad. What did i have prior to my Smart? '99 Dodge Durango. Yea..... $60+ to fill the tank in that to go the same distance that the $20 fill-up for the Smart takes me..... i passed on that one. Although my alternate car (once it's finally up and running and road-legal) is an '87 Jeep Wrangler that was converted to a 304 V8 with nothing but headers and glasspacks.... and some nice beefy tires. That'll mostly be the "For fun" or snow vehicle though. pretty sure with the exhaust system i have on it, i'll have to get some certain special plate or something, and not be able to drive it over a certain number of miles per year...... not sure.

[​IMG]

I <3 Smart!

10. hawkeyefan

hawkeyefan Maha Guru

GPU:
    8800GT @ 787/1944/2244
    Not a damn thing wrong with the Smart, and I see a handful of the on the road around here. Great little commuter car. Why would you need anything else for that purpose? Drive to work, drop off dry cleaning, pick up groceries. For about fourteen grand with insane gas mileage. Hell, you can get the thing with heated seats!

Wait, did you pinstripe the side of yours? :3eyes: :D

Out of curiosity, how does it handle snowy, icy roads? I'm guessing like crap with the short wheelbase and light weight? But that is what the Jeep is for, so not a big issue.

11. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX5700
    Vehicle exhaust emissions.... Last I heard, the US Gov't was looking for a 25% reduction in exhaust emissions over the next 15 years. At the currently emissions ratings, 25% over 15 years is kinda like Obama ****ting out 5 trillion dollars to reduce the national debt..

12. ElementalDragon

ElementalDragon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    eVGA GTX 1070
    hawkeyefan.... haven't had much experience yet with snow/ice. ABS seems to work great when trying to stop on a slippery spot. if i'm not mistaken... the traction control seems to do a decent job of getting the car moving if it starts losing traction when pulling out on a slick spot. It's a rear engine, rear wheel drive car.... so it's got that as an advantage.

I didn't pinstripe it myself, no. The dealer has/had their own local guy who did the pinstriping, and god does he do an awesome freakin job. Printed out this typical tribal-looking dragon that had not a whole lot of detail, and he took it to a whole new level. Got the idea from another guy who was there at the time getting something similar painted on his.... what we dubbed the "fire-breathing catter-dragon"... with the little puff of smoke at the end of the stripe.

Close up of the dragon itself:

[​IMG]

All hand painted, on both sides, and a stripe along the back. Guy sat there for like 3 hours doing it.... and everyone at the dealer loved it when it was finished. said it made their day. Tried for a custom vanity plate.... "DRGN-WGN"..... but someone already used it.

Oh.... and yea, mine has the heated leather seats.... nice velour floormats.... under-seat sub (although it's not the greatest quality)..... basically loaded from the factory. Swapped out the stock crappy door speakers and dash tweeters for a component set of Hertz HSK-165 250w speakers w/ crossover and tweeters, and have them connected to a Kenwood DNX-5140 in-dash navigation system. Getting a 2-channel amp for the speakers for christmas. They provide quite a bit of thump alone, even without the amp. Also removed the stock air intake and installed a cold air intake.

13. hawkeyefan

hawkeyefan Maha Guru

GPU:
    8800GT @ 787/1944/2244
    Haha, it's like driving a sub box on wheels. :D

That is some awesome hand detailing, and I had no idea those things had traction control - that's frigging awesome. Worst case scenario, you find some little snow tires and I'm sure it does better than fine.

I've been so tempted to go for something like that or a Mini for my next vehicle. The Smart is super tempting, because you can cram the thing into any parking space that could never handle a normal sized car.

Sweet ride, ED. People will probably give you some crap about it, but I love it.

14. nm+

nm+ Don Cappuccino Staff Member

GPU:
    old
    ^^^^^
    Honestly, unless parking is a premium (which it really isn't in Minneapolis short of uptown), the smart is overkill. You can't use it's advantages in a parking ramp and Minneapolis won't let you double up spots.
    A Ford focus (Sinc is actually really nice) or a Nissan Versa would be a better choice IMHO. The mini is fine, but they've had some gliches and the last gen is really the fun one.
    New cars, defeatable ESP is really worth it.

It should drive just like a VW beetle (old one).
    Its rear engined, RWD. This means lots of grip as the motor is over the drive axle. However, it would be touchy as hell at the limit, watch the lift-off oversteer to spin. Though ESP and de-tuning will limit this.
    Short wheelbase can be a handful in the ice. Minis, even being FWD, will spin like tops if you let them.
    For what it is worth, in Minneapolis, if you want some fun and experience:
    http://www.glacierlakesqclub.org/category/event-calendar/driver-schools/

15. PistolGripPump

PistolGripPump Maha Guru

GPU:
    eVGA GTX 260 896MB
    This is a car you would pick up chicks in and not that stupid chevy.

Audi S5
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

16. hawkeyefan

hawkeyefan Maha Guru

GPU:
    8800GT @ 787/1944/2244
    Agree on defeatable traction control. That was among the reasons we passed on the A4 1.8T. The package that interested us lacked the option, which I found to be frankly disturbing.

I had the wheelbase concern from driving old Jeep Willys, a Rabbit, and a Dodge Omni years ago, and those were all squirrely disasters on slick roads.

I've also thought about the Fiesta ST/RS next year, and the Focus RS if I could get one shipped here. Or maybe a GTI. Those hot hatches really do it for me.

I adore my '99 Cherokee 4.0L, but I've been driving these things more or less nonstop since the late 90s, and I'm looking forward to a change of pace now that I will no longer need one for work.

Thanks for the link, btw, looks like a fun group. I assume I won't take too much heat if I show up in an e90?

17. gurusan

gurusan Master Guru

GPU:
    5850 @ 1000MHz
    You've got that one backwards. The diesel cycle is far more efficient than the otto cycle.

18. Xendance

Xendance Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia Geforce 570
    43 mpg while driving in a city is rather good. I get about 58 mpg while driving a scoda fabia (the hatchback one) on a wide-lane road (the speed limit is 100 km/h). Though in city I get about 40-47 mpg.
    But it's a diesel so it uses less.

19. aircool

aircool Don Aircooleone Staff Member

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 560 Ti 448 Core
    Oh ok, I thought you were going to be specific then since it's a bit "swings and roundabouts". :nerd:

Bit vulgar me thinks.

That a TDi (quite like those VAG diesels)? I'm managing 48MPG out of an outdated diesel on our 'country lanes'.

20. nm+

nm+ Don Cappuccino Staff Member

GPU:
    old
    Nope. I showed up in a subaru.
    Make sure you have snow tires, esp if you don't have AWD.

Oh and traction control isn't stability control. Very different.
    Traction control sucks, stability control is awesome if you're not on a race track.
    Though as far as I know A4s always had defeatable ESP/traction if so equiped. Lots of other reasons not to buy a 1.8T A4 though.