American cars... are they all like this?

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by The Chosen 1, Dec 15, 2009.

1. The Chosen 1

The Chosen 1 Master Guru

GPU:
    2x 6870 MSI TwinFrozer II
    Just wondering with all the talk about the environment and reducing pollution and whatever why do people seem to think that 30mpg (7.84l/100km) is good?

I don't understand why people think that they need 6 and 8 cylinders engines for driving around in the city... a 4 cylinder engine is more than enough for the usual city and highway driving...

American cars websites are like "30mpg ... our biggest achievement since sliced bread". And then the other car manufacturers have to follow...
    Example:

Volkswagen Golf engines start at 5 cylinder, 2500cc, 170 hp gas engine with 30mpg... lol.

In Europe, they start at a 1.4, 80hp gas engine with 47mpg(5.1l/100km).
    The diesel version starts at a 1.6, 90hp engine with 62mpg(3.8l/100km).

In Europe, Ford have a Fiesta with a 1.6, 90hp engine with 64mpg(3.7l/100km).
    I can't find it in the American website...

Peugeot has a 1.6 diesel engine with 90hp and 72mpg(3.3l/100km).

I guess Americans don't care about this because all i see is high powered gas guzzling cars that consume more while idling then a 1.2 in the highway. The air must be nice there and the gas must be cheap.

Edit: Used US MPG.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2009
  2. TroM

TroM Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte HD6850 OC
    It's not all about MPGs...

And this thread sucks, like the past 20 threads that sucked or were troll attempts. FFUUUUUU

3. IcE

IcE Don Snow Staff Member

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1070 Mini
    The cars that advertise 30MPG as being "amazing" are usually full sized SUV's and trucks. Also, while the cars you mentioned have great mileage, their horsepower numbers a laughable. Gas mileage isn't the only thing. It's also silly to directly compare American and European general cars since they're designed differently. Here in the states everything is extremely spread out. In Europe, it's a lot more condensed.

4. gurusan

gurusan Master Guru

GPU:
    5850 @ 1000MHz
    Different markets. You'd get laughed at driving something with 90hp. I know because my 1st car was a Nissan sentra which had somewhere around 90hp :/

...and as stated, the vehicles that boast 30mpg are usually large displacement trucks or SUVs.

5. Sash

Sash Ancient Guru

GPU:
    video
    My only complaint about these kind of cars is that they usually make a V6 or V8 and over 2000 ccm and they can bareley get 200 HP from it, and torque is laughable, but yeah, i dont know why it makes sense to do this, plus the mileage is so bad!

6. gurusan

gurusan Master Guru

GPU:
    5850 @ 1000MHz
    Those are mostly 80s and 90s engines...but yes, I'm not a big fan of American cars either..although I do like the Corvette

7. IcE

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1070 Mini
    Well, at least the quality level has finally caught up with the rest of the world (Except for GM maybe). The big ones over here just did what they always have and never improved anything until the Japanese market showed up. I agree with you though, I've always preferred European cars. My dad even drives a Jaguar (although it's a POS, 15 different electrical and mechanical problems so far).

8. Sash

Sash Ancient Guru

GPU:
    video
    Ye, i wonder what would had happen to Lexus if Toyota had never stepped in?

9. gurusan

gurusan Master Guru

GPU:
    5850 @ 1000MHz
    pfff..don't forget Honda!!!

10. !H'Guru

!H'Guru Master Guru

GPU:
    HD4870 @ 925/4900 Rivamod
    Welll. my BMW 123d has 200HP and around 400Nm tourque. In the city I get 1 liter for 12 km, and on the highway (120km/h) I get, when using cruisecontrol 1 liter on 17.5 km.

The engines, from the 118d to the 123d, are all the same 2000cc 4 cylinder diesel engine. Take that!

Just kidding :). But check the 0-100km/h time :). This is definitly not slow!

11. IcE

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1070 Mini
    Diesel engines are in a different league, not really fair to compare them to a regular gasoline based engine.

12. gurusan

gurusan Master Guru

GPU:
    5850 @ 1000MHz
    The 123d is extremely impressive, which is why it won engine of the year in 2009.

13. Leafblower

Leafblower Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 760 SLI
    A lot of people do have 4 cylinders...don't see were you got that from and gas is not cheap it's ~$2.60 per gallon.

14. DES_MX

DES_MX Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX480 850/4400 1.075v
    To OP:
    As long as the government is not going to impose strong environmental regulations on car manufacturers and/or consumers themselves (calculated as a penalty to the price, in a form of extra tax/% above certain mpg usage and co2 exhaust level) one one hand; and as long as the social and environmental responsibility of both customers and manufacturers is not going to shift towards more efficient, environmentally friendly products - nothing will get through to the thick headed Americans. I am sorry, but it is unfortunately true.

Is there really a correlation with having the biggest pair of balls and the largest volume engine and amount of valves?

15. !H'Guru

!H'Guru Master Guru

GPU:
    HD4870 @ 925/4900 Rivamod
    1.48 euro's in the Netherlands per LITER! that's 0.27 US gallon if 1 US gallon = 3.78 Liter.

When you translate that price to the US, that's 8 dollars!!!! for 1 gallon.

16. DES_MX

DES_MX Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX480 850/4400 1.075v
    Word. Now lets say we impose these gasoline prices on US. Uniformly. In other words all gas stations in the whole US (and heck lets take Canada too) get prices of $8 a gallon, or higher. + If your car's co2 per km is above 150g/km you get a raise of $1500 to vehicle price. If its above 175g/km you get $3000 to vehicle price. And if its lets say above 190g/km you pay extra $5000 vehicle price (on purchase/or transfer of old vehicle). Are you still gonna go for that V8?? V6?? Don't make me laugh.

Think about environment instead though. At least most people here in Europe do. Or at least pretend they do. Or they just dont have a choice because of these regulations. Either way --> more responsible choices!

17. Goliath182

Goliath182 Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 5970 Redline
    I pretty much don't really care about MPG which is why I bought a Mustang, and why im going to buy a 90's Yukon/Tahoe for when I move to the UP.

18. Bhaal

Bhaal Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 970 4GB OC
    I want my Camaro now...

P.S. And i'm european

19. gurusan

gurusan Master Guru

GPU:
    5850 @ 1000MHz
    I don't give a crap out my co2 emissions, I just want to make sure that if I am getting crappy fuel mileage it's because the engine is making a lot of power .

I'm a motorsports engineering student :D

20. DES_MX

DES_MX Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX480 850/4400 1.075v
    Thats professional, and is therefore acceptable I suppose! :)