AMDs FidelityFX Super Resolution could be released in June

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, May 7, 2021.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    GeniusPr0 likes this.
  2. Silva

Silva Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual RX580 O4G
    I hope older GPUs support it, or it will be pretty useless due to supply shortages.

carnivore, jbscotchman and Undying like this.
  3. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    With a weird habit of deleting his own videos that turn out to be *disastrously* wrong guesses, this guy needs to work to reach other useless youtubers like Moore's Law is Dead

[​IMG]

Silva and Truder like this.
  4. kapu

kapu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 7800XT
    AMD is sure under pressure , which is very nice to see . But this is waaay to soon ?

5. Truder

Truder Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6700XT Nitro+
    Coreteks just loves the sound of his own voice and tries to find every opportunity to stroke that ego

Silva likes this.
  6. Horus-Anhur

Horus-Anhur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6800 XT
    These kind of youtubers just thow every kind of guess, until some thing sticks.
    Remember when they said FSR was going to be released in March....

7. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    I'll gladly eat my words, but I don't see this happening on principal, almost conservation-of-energy grounds.

Graphic chips and rendering are what... 40-50 years old. And mature technologies like that have a bad habit of having no low-hanging fruit where you can get PLENTY from investing very LITTLE.
    DLSS is ground braking, yet it's still no MAGIC. Not in the sense that you get PLENTY from LITTLE like AMD is allegedly doing. Energy still needs to be spent and heavy lifting still needs to be done in 1) training and 2) on-chip SPECIALIZED tensor cores.
    Is why I don't see AMD's FidelityFX being competitive with DLSS IQ with only a little overhead on GPU.

I simply fail to envision how more traditional approach can clear both obstacles
    1. image quality
    2. energy / workload needed
    and all this while using MULTIPURPOSE cores... very little. <--- this goes against the basic logic. Otherwise WTF has everyone been doing for the last 50 years?

8. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS R9 290
    There are some people here who think AMD should have already had an answer to this by now. I think this is a reasonable amount of time, when you consider how long it took for Nvidia to release DLSS 1.0

CPC_RedDawn likes this.
  9. umeng2002

umeng2002 Maha Guru

GPU:
    4080 Super
    I'm looking forward to this. Frankly, AMD's CAS is magic. I inject it into almost every game with TAA that blurs the screen too much. TAA is needed to really take care of jaggies, but there is a lot of blur and AMD CAS really, really helps out the situation.

Last year, I played through Deus Ex Human Revolution again, and I turned off the built in image sharpening and injected AMD CAS. It's night and day better.

I hope this turns out good. I still have yet to play a DLSS 2.0+ title though.

10. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
    People seem to forget that this has been developed with help from Microsoft and Sony. So with AMD, MS, and Sony working together on this and probably for longer than people think. It actually makes sense and fits quite well for it to launch in a few months.

However, the reported 200% performance increase is something I REALLY can not believe at all.

PrMinisterGR likes this.

11. P_G19

P_G19 Member

GPU:
    GTX 1660 / 6GB
    200% is kind of..... too much.
    I think it's going to be 40~50% in most cases and in AMD sponsored titles (Far Cry etc...) 80~90%

12. mikeysg

mikeysg Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MERC310 RX 7900 XTX
    I'm anxiously awaiting the release of FSR, but tempering my expectations, I don't expect 200% improvement. However, I do hope for an appreciable improvement in framerate without compromising PQ (by much or not at all).

13. ViperAnaf

ViperAnaf Guest

GPU:
    ASUS TUF 3080 OC
    every time I see a compare between FidelityFX and DLSS 2.0 it makes me laugh... FidelityFX's simple algorithm is not even in the same league as DLSS - but if you want to keep dreaming - go ahead...

PrMinisterGR likes this.
  14. itpro

itpro Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD Testing
    Only by the way you show racism against algorithms you tell us how much you do know about computing.

AI, ML, NN, started from somewhere, by human mind and simple algorithms. Do not underestimate software based solutions written by humans. Terminator is never gonna happen life ain't a movie, so, chill out and pick up a leather jacket mate!

15. ViperAnaf

ViperAnaf Guest

GPU:
    ASUS TUF 3080 OC
    "Racism against algorithm" - I almost spilled my drink because I laughed so hard....

insp1re2600 likes this.

16. umeng2002

umeng2002 Maha Guru

GPU:
    4080 Super
  17. GeniusPr0

GeniusPr0 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Surpim LiquidX 4090
  18. Digilator

Digilator Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 5700XT
    Since you appear to be an expert in this field, why not try to explain it? Trying to dismiss it with "simple algorithm" simply isn't good enough.
    Also, try to debate Digital Foundry's take on how well RE:Village and Horizon on the PS4 PRO turned out. Do let us know how that goes...

MonstroMart and mikeysg like this.
  19. mikeysg

mikeysg Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MERC310 RX 7900 XTX
    Yeah, I agree...

@ViperAnaf , kindly explain to us Plebs how you'd arrived at your stated conclusion, please dazzle us with your knowledge.

20. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    it isn't a substitution algorythm and it doesn't train on any images, it'll never be in the same league as DLSS

PrMinisterGR likes this.