AMD Zen3 on October 8th Radeon RX 6000 coming October 28th

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Sep 9, 2020.

1. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus TUF 3080 OC
    One too many bottles there bud? Sounds like you have me mixed up with someone else. Also you can not visit tech forums if that's bitching to you, normal human beings call it discussion most the time considering that post was the worst of the worst I've done in a long time and it still was relatively nothing, yet it was enough to rustle your jimmies.

I've never favoured one over the other, I'm not dumb enough to have loyalties to giant company. What I'm butthurt about is the lack of competition and nVidia doing whatever the hell they want with pricing.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2020
  2. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    no

3. Vananovion

Vananovion Member Guru

GPU:
    Radeon RX Vega 56
    Crypto-minors - is that a new, PC way of saying script-kiddies? :D

Jokes aside, I would also love to see some actual parameters of the cards to come.

4. Fox2232

Fox2232 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    5700XT+AW@240Hz
    Not new. I use it for years.Those kids need economy classes and psychology classes.
    Crypto currencies were proof that you burned electricity, nothing more. (Pure value loss.) Few did some actual work. (Value to those who received results of calculations.)

And then as problems happen, it was not golden age milestone for cryptos. People did torn into things they trusted... valuable minerals, metals, ...
    Because even very uneducated person realizes that in case world takes sharp downturn, they can carry and exchange their precious... . But they'll not be able to trade cryptos without access entire electronics chain as we have today.

As far as crypto minoring goes. Create new one. Have its value as pennies and persuade dummies that one day, it will be super pricey.
    Use them to actually mine some currently valuable crypto => profit.

Minors have no idea if they are mining your super duper future PoGo-coin, or if they are sending you results for ethereum.

5. JamesSneed

JamesSneed Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070
    AMD's Zen3 will 100% be DDR4. It is really hard to fit a new memory technology without adjusting the pins since this is on the same AM4 socket is almost a given its DDR4. Also DDR5 wasn't certified before AMD designed Zen3.

Undying likes this.
  6. Lebon30

Lebon30 Active Member

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 680
    We're pretty sure that it's the last DDR4 platform since it's the last one on AM4 socket. I'd expect DDR5 on the new AM5 socket.

EDIT Beaten.

7. Fox2232

Fox2232 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    5700XT+AW@240Hz
    One of things people should understand is that AMD can deliver even Zen4 to AM4. In the end, what communicates with memories is I/O die, not Zen cores. And as long as IF sits between I/O die and Zen cores, they can exchange them around as needed.

Same thing applies to time when AMD makes AM5 socket. They'll design I/O die for DDR5, and that will be able to use even previous Zen iteration. (in case newest will not be ready)

But there is usually no reason to use older tech.

olymind1 and JonasBeckman like this.
  8. olymind1

olymind1 Active Member

GPU:
    RX570 8GB Nitro+
    I agree, and the initial price of the DDR5 RAMs are still in question, if they would be very costly, then a B550 motherboard with a good pair of DDR4 RAMs the Zen4 cores still should/could bring nice performance improvments (instead of DDR5 in an AM5 socket), and if someone already has B550 board, they could still have a nice upgrade path (beside Zen3 of course).

9. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    A big no on the 1st question because Zen3 is AMD's swan song for the AM4 socket and it wouldn't make any sense to change that. Besides as others have mentioned DDR5 didn't even exist when Zen3 was being developed. DDR5 will be AM5.

I don't think So I think Nvidia probably knows very well that they don't see AMD competing at that price point.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2020
  10. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus RX580 XTR 8GB
    2022 amd will wow us.

Ryzen 5000
    Am5
    Ddr5
    Pcie5
    5nm

11. Reddoguk

Reddoguk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Guru3d GTX 980 G1
    No DDR5 for Zen3 but mhz increase up to 5600mhz. I suspect DDR4 with near 5000mhz speeds will match the first DDR5 anyway.

JEDEC for DDR4 was 2400mhz and anything over that is classed as an OC. DDR5 will have a slightly higher JEDEC spec of 3200mhz maybe but early DDR5 won't smash high end DDR4 at all.

So there's no hurry for DDR5 really. We are already seeing DDR4 with insane overclocks, mainly Samsung B-Dies hitting 5000+ mhz.

12. wavetrex

wavetrex Maha Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX1080 AMP!
    PCI-e 4.0 just launched 1yr ago, and only for them, doubtful they will switch to PCI-e 5.0 so soon.
    There are still no devices beside GPUs and SSDs that use PCI-e 4.0.
    No NIC, no Capture card, no USB controllers or high-speed memory card hosts, nothing in the consumer space !

On the other hand, DDR4 has been around a long time already, and it's really time to leave it to the history bin and move to DDR5.
    2021 already will be year of DDR5 boards and CPUs.

Undying likes this.
  13. Reddoguk

Reddoguk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Guru3d GTX 980 G1
    There's no hint of a 670X chipset which is slightly dissapointing as i would love to buy a mobo without a fan on the chipset.

Zen3 and a new smaller nm chipset would be nice but it looks like 570X is gonna be the top end mobo for Zen3 unless there is a newer 670X coming soon and AMD has kept it quite.

14. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AMD S. 5700XT Pulse
    The Gigabyte X570 Elite had a pretty fine solution with a copper block set up to a heat spreader but the board itself is near double that of the X570 Master which is already a good bit over the regular and still pretty feature stacked X570 boards.
    Shame not too many other boards utilize a copper block instead of a small spinner fan as I don't think the chipset gets too hot under normal conditions and with bios configuration the silent setting usually has it passive so other than costing a little bit more I don't see why it'd need active cooling.
    (Leading the heat the way the Gigabyte model does is probably a bit much too.)

Wonder what the new AM5 solution will be for the chipset, shrinking the components compacts the thermals and heat too but a decent heat sink type cooler should be plenty along with other improvements depending on how AMD utilizes this part.
    (There's a couple of additional PCI lane traces going through this as I recall expanding on the 20 or so from the CPU for the Ryzen 3000's if I got the numbers right.)

EDIT: Although die shrinkage would potentially also reduce voltage and having a more efficient process or node for this as well so it's 0.9 - 1.0 instead of 1.0 to ~ 1.2v
    (Generally I think the SOC voltage is kept around 1.1v by default but there's a few of these and I'm not entirely certain how it's scaling and controlled plus motherboard differences for it as well.)

So less heat from that offsetting the shrinkage and how thermals would be more packed and a lesser need for active cooling if it's not just because the tin and plastic fan thingie is like really cheap over a decent copper block or just some other decent material that maybe isn't quite as expensive as copper but still does the job. :)

EDIT: Oh that's right.

ASMedia didn't have a chipset for this board like before or how it was, AMD made one of their own I had forgotten about that detail.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2020
  15. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    consider x570 an outlier considering its just a repurposed Zen 2 IO die.

JonasBeckman likes this.

16. Reddoguk

Reddoguk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Guru3d GTX 980 G1
    @JonasBeckman I think you meant 570X XTREME because the Elite is a cheaper mobo than the Master even and both have fans.

Only the stupidly priced Xtreme has no fan. The Master is the board i like the most but yea has a small fan that could die and leave you with no hope of replacing that said fan.

JonasBeckman likes this.
  17. rm082e

rm082e Master Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    My 3800x maxes out at 20% usage in games right now, so I don't think I'll be replacing it with a 4000 series any time soon. Still, I'm interested to see what gains can be had in gaming performance. If the numbers are bigger enough, I might have a great excuse to waste some money. :p

18. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus RX580 XTR 8GB
    There quite a few games now that can bring ryzen 7 to 60-80% usage.

19. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AMD S. 5700XT Pulse
    Yeah I mixed up the naming a bit here with the various models that are available, every single motherboard vendor for AMD made quite a lineup even before the B550 and now the A520 came out so there's a lot of them in total or just for each respective vendor. :)
    Nitpicking perhaps but for the price and the possibility of a breakage going the way some GPU vendors have done utilizing a method for easy fan replacement seems like it could have been a reasonable inclusion just slot it out without any additional work on the cooler required although there seems to be some diversity in the fan and accompanying heatsink is handled so could be some differences in dimensions and what would fit.

And then the varying amounts of plastic shroud mainly for aesthetic reasons over the actual metal heat sink and the fan itself possibly also complicating things for a fan replacement.

Going by modding efforts a bigger fan like a smaller Noctua over the chipset risks obstructing the PCI-E slots with it's height being in the way of longer GPU's and there's also at least one build using a larger heat spreader which if there's room for it seem to work for passive cooling as well.

For Gigabyte and their Xtreme it's hard to tell from the amount of cover and the LED's and such under that, seems to be a smaller block on the chipset which this pipe then transfers off near the CPU area where that cooler arrangement and spreaders is visible.

A couple of years ago more designs like that were common and actually using copper but the price of that has increased as well.
    (Would have worked nicely here otherwise for a passive solution and without the 2x cost over the second most expensive model in Gigabyte's motherboard series for the X570)

20. rm082e

rm082e Master Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    Which games? I want to be on the lookout for something that really pushes it. I'm concerned my Noctua NH-U12A might not be enough to keep it cool when things get busy.