AMD Zen Summit Ridge Die says Hello

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, May 23, 2016.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. DeskStar

DeskStar Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 3080Ti/3090FTW
    I sure hope it is something special when it is all said and done....

3. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Same.

The last AMD processor I owned in my main computer was a Clawhammer 3200. I upgrading to it from a Pentium 3. I remember playing UT on it and my framerate like nearly doubled despite the fact I was using the same GPU, an Nvidia 4200. I upgraded to a 9800XT that same year and my performance like doubled again.

Was a good year.

I kind of hope they keep the Zen name for marketing and not just use it as the codename. It's a cool name and I think it's already ingrained into everyone's head.

4. Brutalix

Brutalix Member

GPU:
    1070 Nvidia
    Well it depends, bulldozer was also a good name, untill it showed that it was a very good multi core prosessor, but too poor on single core effeciency.

The first slide is from May 2015, so it's a bit old, if the image is of a zen, then it might or might not be current.

I keep my options open, i do care to some degree about wattage, but if the price is right and performance is as good as Intel's options I'll probably go for a new AMD. So i at least support both companies. Since my laptop and hackintosh are I7's.

Kind regards
    Brut.

5. 0blivious

0blivious Ancient Guru

GPU:
    5700XT / GTX1070
    My last AMD CPU was a X2 4400+. At the time, an AMD Athlon was the clear choice for gaming rigs. It's been 10 years of Intel domination. Hopefully Zen makes things more interesting. If it annihilates Intel CPUs, all the better.

6. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus RX580 XTR 8GB
    This is all very interesting. Im doing an overhaul this year. I might end up with AMD all around for my main system. Zen+Polaris sounds so sweet. We'll see...

7. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    Would be lovely to see a little revolution from AMD. An i5/i7 beater would have my money right away.

8. Humanoid_1

Humanoid_1 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080 X Trio
    I'm really looking forward to Zen, really itching to upgrade to a more modern system capable of supporting upcoming technologies :)

9. fellix

fellix Member Guru

GPU:
    KFA² GTX 1080 Ti
    My last AMD system was nF4 + Opteron 165 many moons ago. Honestly, the only hope I have for Zen is to put some competitive pressure on Intel, so the prices could drop a bit down. I still have no intention of getting back to the green team, I just expect more sensible offerings from Intel.

10. Evildead666

Evildead666 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Vega64/EKWB/Noctua
    I'm also really looking forward to Zen.

I'm expecting it to have 2x64bit memory controllers/channels per 4 cores, so 4 memory controllers/Channels in total for the 8 core, with 8 and 16 DIMM support for the Server chips.

There's no way they can get away with 8 cores w/HT on two memory controllers/channels, unless they have a HBM LLC (last level cache) just before the system RAM.

11. ViperXtreme

ViperXtreme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 Super Jetstream
    count me in, hoping AMD would be back on track again, pascal, zen, polaris and possibly vega, great year for new hardware >:D

12. CronoGraal

CronoGraal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI R9 390 8GB
    Had an Athlon XP 2700+ and a 3200+ at one point, last pair of AMD CPUs I owned. Here's hoping they get something good out this time around. :)

13. C-Power

C-Power Member Guru

GPU:
    Msi 2060 Gaming-Z
    Have had a couple of good AMD's before I completely switched to Intel in the C2D era, I just go with what performs best, and basically up to C2D AMD was great in the price performance and overclocking arena.

I remember having an Opteron 144, and overclocked it to 3ghz+, sweet sweet processors.

My last AMD cpu was an Athlon 64 X2 3800+, I would love to get back on the red train for a change after owning just intel for the last 10 years or so :p

Come on AMD, pull it together and at least be competitive again!

/crosses fingers

14. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS R9 290
    I've been holding off upgrading because I want to see what Zen does. As long as it competes with Skylake in performance-per-watt (with an equal thread count), that's good enough for me. My current PC is still good enough and does everything I want it to, but it's just so power hungry. It spews so much heat. I'd like to cut the wattage in half with equal or better performance, which honestly is actually pretty achievable for me.

15. BLEH!

BLEH! Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury
    I am looking forward to this. It might force Intel to lower prices if it's comparably quick, so I'll probably hold off until it's released before I upgrade either to that or BW-E.

16. Ryu5uzaku

Ryu5uzaku Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800 XT
    I am hopeful. Simply because the guy behind Zen is awesome. And I hope they will bring out something like they had all those years a go. Tho this time only to catch up. I will buy myself a Zen pc if it is as fast as skylake.

17. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus TUF 3080 OC
    Clock for clock it probably won't be. But it'll likely be a true 8 core chip. I'm just hoping for high enough clocks for it to be comparable to Intel in single threaded performance even if it has lower IPC. So many things are still single threaded.

18. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS R9 290
    Depends on your definition of a "true core". Bulldozer had 8 physical cores but it wasn't a "true octa-core". Zen still uses the module system, it's just a lot more robust.

19. Ryu5uzaku

Ryu5uzaku Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800 XT
    Yeah it might fall short some. But supposedly not by much. Even a 40% bump from Carrizo would boost it past haswell and near skylake. But we will see in 6+ months or so :)

Tho I will upgrade before that. Faulty system is faulty.

20. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS R9 290
    What part of the system is faulty? AMD has been releasing their new gen products in October for several years.