AMD Zen Octacore Summit Ridge engineering sample spotted at 3.2/3.5 GHz

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Nov 25, 2016.

1. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX980Ti OC
    wow that 4core is ultra cheap, almost too cheap, if at 4.2 - 4.4ghz it will be serious LGA115x competitor and probably sell like hot cakes too lol its basically a intel i7 4core, 6core looks mighty too for 250€ if ~3.7-3.9ghz

2. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    If those prices and specs are real, and the chips can OC to 4.0GHz+ with IPC equivalent to Broadwell-E, then Intel's current lineup with the current prices is obsolete overnight.

If.

3. Dburgo

Dburgo Guest

what are the PCIe lanes count? Any exact numbers? So far all I've read was 2x 16x Gen 3 and additional lanes with PLX chip on mobo..

4. PrMinisterGR

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    32 on the CPU itself and a DMI bus to connect to the motherboard PHYs.

5. Amx85

Amx85 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI R7-260X2GD5/OC
    Looks like every model will have SMT
    Then is much posible...
    4c 8t
    6c 12t
    8c 16t

Since AMD said that Summit Ridge has 2x Orochi on multi threaded (using all threads) i spected same performance per clock on all threaded operations but now we know Zen's its lower clocks then this says higher performance per clock (on 2 threaded per core scenarios), i spect monothreaded IPC between Haswell and Broadwell, perfect since virtually no have graphics bottleneck

Other thought, if every model has SMT can't be comcompared in this way...
    Sr3 (8t) vs i3
    Sr5 (12t) vs i5
    Sr7 (16t) vs i7
    Since even the "slower model" looks "i7 level" performance but having higher Power compsumition per Core and slower clocks they can't compete at all, every initial model and could be...
    Sr3 sounds 45-65w
    Sr5 sounds 65-80w and
    Sr7 sounds +95w

Maybe the Sr3 and Sr5 not get over 3.45GHz on Max Turbo initially and 3.15GHz base to make people buy more Sr7 models

Last edited: Nov 27, 2016
  6. PrMinisterGR

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    If the 3.5GHz turbo is correct about the 8/16 part, then it actually turbos higher than the equivalent Intel CPU.

7. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus TUF 3080 OC
    Thanks for the link, much appreciated. I have to say I'm a bit disappointed by the stats on the ASRock boards. But I suppose it doesn't matter, it doesn't make a difference what board I use, this CPU is a lemon compared to review samples, I doubt any board can get even another 100MHz out of it.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2016
  8. Dburgo

Dburgo Guest

So all variants of ZEN support 32 pcie lanes without plx? If so, that sure makes me give a dirty look at my wallet and Intel. I knew for a fact before buying the 6800k, I wanted 6 cores. There is no reason for me to upgrade from 5ghz OC on amd 9370 to anything less. Not for the price anyways. As usual.. in 6 months time, everything I paid a premium for in Intel and Nvidia land gets its socks rocked by AMD for even less. Basically, the only premium to have with broadwell-E, is 40 pcie lanes and possibly a couple of hundred mhz it seems. Not worth close to $300-$500 more in my opinion.. If AMD can OC over 4.2ghz and UNCORE OC past 3.6ghz with Zen at 8 core, they have a real cpu that can really go toe to toe with Intels broadwell chips with the same core count.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 29, 2016