AMD ZEN Engineering Sample Shows Promising Perf

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Aug 11, 2016.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
    looking good :)

hopefully this is either an early sample with lower clocks or this is a mid range SKU.

I was hoping for around 3.6GHz base and 4GHz boost. By the looks of it that would put it beyond the Intel i7.

Hoping these are decent clockers too, any news on if their BCLK will be unlocked or will we just have the multiplier to play with?

3. Spartan

Spartan Guest

GPU:
    R9 290 PCS+
    Hopefully this is 4c/8t Zen, otherwise the result is just awful.

4. xIcarus

xIcarus Guest

GPU:
    RTX 4080 Gamerock
    "The samples thus run at a 2.8 GHz base and 3.2 GHz Turbo clock frequency, have 8-cores / 16 threads indicating a "Summit Ridge" CPU"
    From the article.

Hey it's not that shabby even if it's 8 cores. Does run at a mere 3.2GHz.

5. Öhr

Öhr Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD RX 5700XT @ H₂O
    Yes! It doesn't suck! Well, Zen is on its way to become my next CPU :D

I wonder if there'll be GPU-less Zen CPUs in the future as well. Smaller siz and lower energy consumption or more space for extra cores and/or larger caches.

6. Embra

Embra Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Red Devil 6950 XT
    Remember the source: WCCFTECH

Still interesting. Engineering samples can be lower clock from what the finished product will be. Hopefully the fabs will perform to the level hoped for. Wait and see.

7. nz3777

nz3777 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gtx 980 Radeon 5500
    If the result is from Zen 4c/8t then its okay, If 8/16 then we waited all this time for nothing basically.Also price is going to be a Huge thing as well and regardless (Intel) will continue to dominate the High-end of Cpu's.

I am only interested in Apu's these days, Its the graphics that make them such a hot deal in my opinion.

8. Spartan

Spartan Guest

GPU:
    R9 290 PCS+
    From what I'm seeing, this is FX all over again, more cores, crap performance, even in a dx12 game.

9. SHOCKTRUPPEN

SHOCKTRUPPEN Banned

GPU:
    GTX 980 Strix
    Am I missing something? What is AMD's business plan for the Zen? It's like creating a car manufacturer and making cars that are already out. Why would I get rid of my car I already own, for theirs if it's the same? If you made a new fast and sexy car that was a little cheaper than mine then yes I would come to buy. Just saying.

10. xIcarus

xIcarus Guest

GPU:
    RTX 4080 Gamerock
    I have a bit of an eerie feeling which makes me incline towards what you said, I'll admit.
    But I'll reserve judgment until launch, I'm just being hopeful.

It's just good that they're bringing out new CPUs, Intel needs competition badly. Ain't paying that much money for a new-gen i7, not when the performance difference from my 2600k is so small.

11. Maddness

Maddness Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080 Aorus Xtreme
    I don't know, that doesn't look to bad at all. It will be interesting to see just how well it overclocks. If it can, i'm sure it will give the I7's a good run for there money. Looks like AMD could be back in the game as far as CPU's go. :)

12. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    I want to see single thread numbers.

13. Humanoid_1

Humanoid_1 Guest

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080 X Trio
    Looks like it will be an excellent gaming CPU especially with higher clocks than this ES.

Price and platform price need to be realistic in the long run so as to not hurt it though. It still needs an edge in price to pry many of the Intel regulars out of their current buying habits.

I still like to have extra cores for things outside of gaming too which is where this chip has potential to shine even more :)

14. Maddness

Maddness Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080 Aorus Xtreme
    Hopefully we start to get some more leaks in this area.

15. Asgardi

Asgardi Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 980 Ti OC
    Doesn't look bad? Its almost as fast as some old Intel model and isn't even out yet. And Intel wouldn't be readying their own next things? And about overclocking... We don't know how it overclocks (its AMD so probably not that well) and in the mean time we DO know how Intel overlocks: press a button on BIOS and get 0.5-1 GHz boost on a cheap setup.

16. LimitbreakOr

LimitbreakOr Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    i have mixed feelings, on one side i'm glad that it won't be nearly as powerful as my 5960x that costed more than some peoples car. On the other hand, my inner AMD fanboyness is disappointed. So... with all this wishing and hoping for zen to be great, what we have is a CPU that is a 1090T compared to intels i7 920 which is more cores that can beat intels quad core in multi tread but fails in IPC.

17. omagic

omagic Member

GPU:
    GIGABYTE GTX 1080
    It's shame the didnt underclock the i7 to this Zen sample values...

18. Stormyandcold

Stormyandcold Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3080ti Founders
    I want to see Doom benchmarks tbh.

19. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    So...if this is true, lets just get some things straight.

AMD Claims 40% higher per-clock performance

This 2.8Ghz Engineering sample beats an FX-8350 @ 4.0Ghz by 38%...which would mean...

This engineering sample at 4.0Ghz (if scaled perfectly) would roughly give 82fps, which would then beat the FX-8350 by 95%, clock for clock

And...people are saying this is bad? People who were previously saying 40% would be good, now say 95% is bad?

...what

Edit: I was just reading another article that basically just said the same thing i said, but agreed with the naysayers. They said they were excited for the next AMD Zen CPU due to the claimed 40% higher performance, but now that they see the new AMD Zen processor (supposed) benchmark at much higher performance, they feel it has died before it even began

Do people not understand logic? I'm so confused.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2016
  20. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    These slow clocked ES CPU's that are just that, engineering samples with a test run on one benchmark on likely an un-optimized platform.

It could very well be that the final flagship SKUs clock 4.0~4.4 GHz, until actually released and tested you guys should take this news as the title states, the results look promising. Other then that you cannot draw any conclusions at this time. But let's cross our fingers and hope it's really good. We need a proper competitor against Intel rather sooner then later.