AMD Zen-based 8-core Desktop CPU in 2016 - Socket FM3

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Apr 30, 2015.

1. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    I am as well would love to see them Kick some ass again with a proper CPU. With this will come a totally new chipset an it looks like they will integrat the PCI lanes into the CPU. Hope this new CPU and chipset handle multi GPU setups as well as intel.

Exciting times are abound.

2. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    AMD supposedly has 2 "versions" of Zen coming. AMD is supposedly bringing ARM/RISC to the consumer market in a socketed form. They are also releasing an x86 version of Zen. Both will supposedly share a socket. For those upset about AMD releasing a new socket again (finally), it's because their (rumored) RISC based Zen architecture can't work with FM2(+) or AM3(+). AMD had to develop a new socket and entirely new chipsets to support both x86 and RISC processors. This would be, quite literally, a first in history. Both for a socketed RISC processor and an x86/RISC compatible chipset.

FM2 was never intended to be a "performance" platform. It's an entry-level/budget platform. With FM3, AMD is consolidating all markets on a single socket again.

You should be happy that FM2 had a longer life-span than AM1, which only had 4 processors released for it: Athlon 5350, Athlon 5150, Sempron 3850 and Sempron 2650. AMD has no known plans to release any further processors using the AM1 socket. All AM1 processors are "SoC" designs based on the "Jaguar" architecture. The same architecture used in the PS4 and XBox One.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2015
  3. kosh_neranek

kosh_neranek Guest

GPU:
    Palit GTX 1070@2101 Boost
    After all those disappointing years from AMD I am certainly not expecting they will come up with a chip that will match Intel. Am sure Intel has their reply ready if they were to level.Let's just hope they can force Intel into lowering prices. That's the only thing I want from you AMD, push Intel's and Nvidia's prices down so i can buy their goodies :)