AMD ZEN 8-core Summit Ridge To launch January 17th 2017

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Nov 18, 2016.

1. tensai28

tensai28 Maha Guru

GPU:
    2080ti MSI X TRIO
    Well this is AMD we are talking about and as much as I want to believe it, I'll believe it when I see it. As a gamer it would be nice to have options when upgrading but I just recently bought this 6600k so hopefully this won't render my CPU obsolete just yet.

2. tensai28

tensai28 Maha Guru

GPU:
    2080ti MSI X TRIO
    The chart doesn't specify it just has a question mark for oc compatibility and clock speed.
    Edit: sorry seems someone already answered you and said it is. Anyways the chart doesn't mention anything about it.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2016
  3. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 980 Ti FTW
    Find a used 2700K on ebay or something. They should be cheap :p

4. BigBrutus420

BigBrutus420 New Member

GPU:
    2x XFX RX480 8GB Xfire
    I love both Intel and AMD but the Intel fanboy comments are being loaded as we speak lol. I can't wait until this obliterates a 6800K. They'll be like "But it's only on par with and doesn't beat a 6900K when AMD doesn't have to BEAT Intel just create a better VALUE :) SR7 Black Edition (hopefully the name) here I come! :D

5. BigBrutus420

BigBrutus420 New Member

GPU:
    2x XFX RX480 8GB Xfire
    wait....did you just insinuate you would pay double for a similar Intel CPU because it's Intel????....If so...why?????? You like the Intel tax?

6. anxious_f0x

anxious_f0x Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080Ti SLi
    Hopefully AMD pull something out the bag with this CPU, looking forward to the benchmarks, might well be time to retire my poor old Intel Core i7 980X, longest time I've ever owned a CPU :D

7. rsouzadk

rsouzadk Member

GPU:
    RTX 2080
    If AMD prices it competitively, and performance is at least on par with intel 6th gen core processors, this can be huge.

I would definitely switch to a real 8C/16T Summit Ridge any day.

8. Backstabak

Backstabak Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte Rx 5700xt
    I think that people expecting AMD to beat Intel will be disappointed. This is completely new architecture for AMD and intel had years to optimise and perfect theirs. However, that's not saying that AMD woun't be competitive.

As many have said, they just need to provide interesting price for 6 core CPUs which could become new mainstream and which could be better for majority of aplications.

I'm probably not going to buy the first iteration, as I don't see the need to change my CPU now, but in a year or two I'd definetely like to upgrade to a higher core count.

9. Ryu5uzaku

Ryu5uzaku Ancient Guru

GPU:
    5700 XT UV 1950~
    If 500$ for something similar to 6900K, it's easy to buy that 500$ part compared to intels overpriced one.

10. pegasus1

pegasus1 Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1080Ti@2.05Ghz
    My 2700k has been going strong at 4.9ghz since the day i bought it at launch, ive yet to find a solid reason to upgrade.

11. nz3777

nz3777 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gtx 980 Strix
    I just saw on another website that zen 8/16 will cost $300 USD- if this is true they really have a fighting chance this time around! That is a Perfect price in my opinion, Real close to the 6700k skylake but with 8 more threads, Overclock.net.

If not I am getting either skylake or possibly a 5820k 6-core I can wait another 2 months no biggie. One thing I can say thats certin and this is coming from a person that has owned almost every Fx series cpu.....Intel is just better at gaming, The part thats most noticible is the Min Fps- at some games I can barely push half the fps with my 8320 vs my old 4790k- Yes the diffrence is that big! Amd needs this and so do we.

12. DeskStar

DeskStar Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 2080Ti FTW3 HC
    Can it be....?! Are we finally done with the one sided CPU "race" that was a joke for so many years.....! Man I sure hope so. I hope to see competitive performance that makes the pricing so much more attainable for everyone's pocket books....

13. DeskStar

DeskStar Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 2080Ti FTW3 HC
    Looks to me like your whole system needs a "crap" upgrade. Before you start throwing "that" around I think one should at least accept it being better than their immediate setup.

14. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3090 - RX 590
    +1 :thumbup: completely agree with your statement. I would like to add , let's not forget DX12 will take advantage of more cores for gaming , we got to see this with an open mind and looking towards the future. New games that will come out in the near future you bet they will be DX12 , and there are many DX12 games already out. I want this my next upgrade to last me a few years hence why i think an 8 core cpu it's the way to go from now on , that's my own personal opinon.

15. fry178

fry178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080S WaterForceWB
    nope. at least not for me.
    unless i get paid to buy it, i wont spend more than 3-400 on any cpu, no matter the brand, nor if its twice as fast as a 6900.
    and almost every person i know (work/friends) that doesnt use a workstation/render machine, will never spend more than that either.
    not even talking about that im not gonna run (any) cpu that costs +300$ (and above) with a 10$ no-name cooler on a used 30$ board with 2gb of 1333, so adding all that and im looking at bit more than "just" 500$.

the fact that i expect at least some minor issues to surface after zen release (be it cpu/chip/boards), and that i can get a 5820k for around 310$ right now, have all the "fixed" bios/drivers already available for a clean install, and know what performance to expect (incl sata/usb/M2) ...
    but that just me, selling my rig in 2 weeks
    :backfire:

Last edited: Nov 21, 2016

16. Ryu5uzaku

Ryu5uzaku Ancient Guru

GPU:
    5700 XT UV 1950~
    I was not talking about people not willing to spent more then your said sum of money, but people who want a 8-core processor but the cheapest option is 1000$(new). 5820K being 6-core I have no clue what AMD is offering on that end if anything but it would be cheaper then 6800K they won't of course compete with second hand market.

17. fry178

fry178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080S WaterForceWB
    And thats where the problem is. they need a good 300-400$ range cpu.
    anything above that will only be sold in smaller numbers (not mass market), and hence they wont make as much, as ppl that look for max perform/companies will still go intel.

18. Cyberdyne

Cyberdyne Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra
    Really really looking forward to this getting in the hands of hardware reviewers.
    While I am an NVidia fanboy, I honestly only purchase Intel out of pure necessity. I would love to get a modest upgrade for a great price.

I think a lot of people would agree with that though, with the GPU there are real legitimate features and tweak-ability to be had (and preferred) from both camps. But with the CPU, if it performance, what camp it comes from is invisible, and irrelevant to the user.

19. Ryu5uzaku

Ryu5uzaku Ancient Guru

GPU:
    5700 XT UV 1950~
    Max/performance as in the 10+ cores cpus sure. But still AMD will offer those 300-400 cpus. They will simply have one that is 500$ according to some slide that will maybe match 6900K which is something I want similarly performing for way less money it's what I've been wanting since forever a decently priced 8-core processor.

If top of the line is 500$ they have no issues as the 4 to 6 core processors will be from 200-400$ and if the top of the line roughly matches intel the others will be close too.

20. spine

spine Member Guru

GPU:
    Titan Xp CE + EK WB
    Intel don't seem the least bit worried by this, which tells me everything I need to know, sadly.