AMD X2 3800+ Toledo Core Question...

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards AMD' started by Trance_Head, Nov 6, 2006.

1. Trance_Head

Trance_Head Active Member

GPU:
    2x 8800 GTS 512
    I Downloaded CPU-Z, ran the program, and it said that my 3800+ is a toledo core. now my question is...

Does Anyone else have a toledo X2 3800+ and overclocked it to its max?

I was doing some research on this and found out that there are some X2 3800+ toledos with half the cache, i have mine overclocked to 2.3 ghz and its fine and stable at stock voltage with stock cooling, Temps Idle at 36c and load 46c, and this is with a Thermaltake fan, those loud ones with 78 cfm (airflow) blowing at it with the side vent.

and if I'm not mistaken, the toledo core is used also on the FX-60, and that one is at 2.6 ghz, can anyone tell me if i overclock my X2 3800+ to this speed, will it be like having a FX-60? just half the cache?

Cause damn, can't find any info on this, and i don't want to buy another processor for my Socket 939 System, i was thinking about it, but would prefer overclocking and save some money.

2. DSparil

DSparil Guest

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3080
    Athlon X2 3800+ at 2.6ghz??? I wouldn't try it, you are liable to fry your processor. There may be a few in this forum who have made that happen, but im sure they have superior cooling which would be required for such an attempt. You would have to increase the v-core a decent amount to support that speed also.

Get better cooling, overclock to 2.4ghz and call it a day. Don't even try 2.6 on stock, unless you want to hear your CPU alarm for overheating. I wouldn't attempt that speed at all.

:flame: <--- your cpu

Last edited: Nov 7, 2006
  3. mar-one

mar-one Member Guru

GPU:
    Evga / GTX550Ti / SLI 4g
    you should be able to get to 2.6 on air if you dont have to raise the volts to high, alot of guys have hit 3.0 Ghz on those chips give it a try.

4. Spectacle

Spectacle Banned

GPU:
    X1950XTX Crossfired 780/2280
    Are you kidding? 2.6Ghz with the 3800+ X2 should be a walk in the park even with stock cooling.

5. Nazar78

Nazar78 Master Guru

GPU:
    PNY88GT512 850/2000/2280
    No problem with mine...

6. flexmaster

flexmaster Maha Guru

GPU:
    Saphire X1800XT 512mb/ 6800 GO
    Damn I have a Manchester...

Anyone else got any nice results on the Manchester?

7. Spectacle

Spectacle Banned

GPU:
    The manchester 3800s OC just as well, you just have to know what you are doing as with any OC.

8. DSparil

DSparil Guest

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3080
    couldn't disagree more. the stock cooling on the X2 3800+ is the crapola low end AMD sink and fan, without the heatpipes. Whatever though, if he wants to risk his processor and shorten the life span of it by crankin the vcore and speed like that, its his perogative, not mine.

9. Spectacle

Spectacle Banned

GPU:
    :newb: lol.. you guys amaze me sometimes.....2.6Ghz is not dangerous if you know what settings and voltages you need to apply.

10. DSparil

DSparil Guest

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3080
    I am no newcomer to overclocking. I agree its attainable! What im saying is that its danger zone for someone on stock cooling with little knowledge of overclocking. I wouldnt attempt to boost 600mhz on that cheapo stock sink... thats askin for it :bonk: but like i said, to each his own.

:eek:rder: speed demon retards:biggun:

Last edited: Nov 9, 2006

11. Spectacle

Spectacle Banned

GPU:
    It's all about the voltage buddy. And to get to 2.6Ghz you will not need more than 1.425v. Apparently you ARE a newb to OCing.

12. DSparil

DSparil Guest

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3080
    haha, man youre not telling anyone anything they don't already know. but if it makes you feel superior, sure im a newb. lol

:tool:

13. Spectacle

Spectacle Banned

GPU:
    Go away little boy :finger:

14. Trance_Head

Trance_Head Active Member

GPU:
    2x 8800 GTS 512
    People honestly think i would run my processor at 2.6 ghz with stock cooling? you gotta be kidding me! i would expect people to have more sense than that, the reason i ask its because im about to get another heatsink from zalman, the CNPS9500 i believe, in a couple of weeks and i wanted to gather some info before i make this move.

and no, i'am not a newb to overclocking, been doing it for a couple months now, THATS WAY BETTER THAN A NEWB! i know the risk of cutting the lifespan of your processor, and making it 10x more hotter, ****! people are acting so immature!

" he must be a newb to overclocking." SPECTACLE, especially DSPARIL, ya'll sound like some snotty bitches! grow up. you sound worse than a woman saying im prettier than her! F@#$$4% GROW UP! F#$%$$% pc snobs!

you honestly think im that stupid to do that to my processor?! if i was a newb, i wouldn't even be asking the toledo core question at all!

can't ask a question without being criticized? F#$$!

Last edited: Nov 10, 2006
  15. Kollunz

Kollunz Master Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 5870
    DSparil, please go flame some other forum. you've made it more then obvious that you need to learn some more about overclocking.

I have my +3800 X2 @ 2.8ghz @ 1.5v on AIR 24/7 for three months now, with no problems at all. Before that I was at 2.6ghz with 1.4v.

And i don't have "superior" cooling. Just a 20$ heatsink.

16. DSparil

DSparil Guest

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3080
    man, what a bunch of snobs in here. All I was doing is trying to help. Everyone thinks they know it all, and are the techie GQ's, so whatever.

btw kollunz, i dont consider trying to help someone "flaming". I was giving my honest opinion and i stand by it regardess. It turns into a "flame" when people start criticizing and talking down to others, as certain people here have done.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2006
  17. ElementalDragon

ElementalDragon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVidia RTX 4090 FE
    ...... i'd say stick to the OC you have now, or just try a little more.....

be glad you CAN oc your CPU. note to anyone thinking about it: if you're debating getting the Asus M2N-SLI Deluxe socket AM2 motherboard...... DON'T! can't OC for crap on this thing. i'm actually debating waiting till x-mas and getting a new motherboard, new CPU, or hell... maybe both. "Asus is overclocking friendly"...... yeah.... not the case for the M2N-SLI Deluxe....

18. painter

painter Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1060 6GB
    I'm running mine on stock cooling at stock volts...and it runs at just 31c in a warm room, reaching no more than 41c under full [prime] load....so I consider the stock AMD cooler quite good.

19. ElementalDragon

ElementalDragon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVidia RTX 4090 FE
    thanks to Kollunz.... i now have a BIOS i can actually overclock on..... now i gotta probably either play with voltages, or find out what drivers are causing my computer to restart at random.

20. mintbiskit

mintbiskit New Member

GPU:
    XFX 8800GS XXX Alpha Dog
    I have a Toledo core X2 3800

I run mine at 2.75GHz with a Gigabyte G-Power Pro on low fan speed.

Temp is usually around 30 degrees.

I let my ASUS motherboard handle the voltage. CPUZ says its at 1.392v.

I havent pushed this yet either so will probably go higher, but no need to at the moment.

Of course i am using a multiplier on the RAM and my timings are still great for value Corsair RAM.