AMD Will Relaunch 5GHz FX-9590 Processor with Liquid Cooling

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jun 24, 2014.

1. Darkest

Darkest Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HD7950
    That's pretty ironic to be honest. You're also attempting to put words in my mouth, but even if I pointedly spoke of their entire range of processors they're still lacklustre compared to Intel and have been for some time. The AM3 platform has been around since 2009, it is no understatement to say that they have been dragging their feet.

While their APU's have been more impressive than their performance/desktop specific counterparts, they've still not been mind blowing thus far. This is coming from someone who has built a couple of AMD based APU systems, including a 5800K system for my brother. It doesn't change the fact that the raw processor performance is underwhelming. The package was attractive due to the built in GPU and low cost. I even recommend AMD from time to time on these very forums, but to be totally honest the only thing they have going for them at the moment when it comes to processors is value for money. They're not expensive to buy, unlike the 9590 combo in question.

AMD very well might turn things around in the future, and I sincerely hope that they do. I've owned countless AMD processors over the years and have always had fantastic experiences with them. The fact remains that even if they severely improve in the future, they've still been severely behind for a very long time -- which is the very definition of dragging ones feet.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2014
  2. Evildead666

Evildead666 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Vega64/EKWB/Noctua
    I think AMD doesn't have the resources to do as much R&D as Intel.
    Well, thats more of a fact.

Once they have started down a new route with a new architecture, they have no choice but to follow it, for better or for worse.
    They started down the CMT route, and eventually found out that they got some things wrong, shared FP etc...
    This made the chips perform less than what they had predicted.

Now, we are coming into a new architecture era, which will apparently be SMT, much like intel. AMD will have Hyperthreading, but it will have to be called something else, obviously.

AMD haven't intentionally been behind, this is all they can do at the moment.
    They weren't dragging their feet, they were doing the best with what they had.

At least their sockets are around long enough to be upgraded a few times. :)

3. ManofGod

ManofGod Maha Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 Fury Nitro
    Thank you! Finally someone who gets it and put it into words I could not. Folks around these parts seem to think that everything should work instantly and all changes should occur quickly. (Intel has not had a straight up new architecture since they created their Core i series of processors.)

CMT does work and I do not believe the shared nature of parts was what caused the failure to occur. Just that when everything was put together, things did not work as expected and the parts of the cpu where not balanced with each other. :puke2:

4. Darkest

Darkest Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HD7950
    While AMD doesn't have the resources that Intel does, that doesn't mean they've made the correct decisions and that doesn't magically excuse their failures. People say that the fact you can easily upgrade due to them keeping the same sockets for an age is a good thing, but upgrade to what exactly? Where's the major performance leap? It's rarely if ever worth it. If they hadn't insisted on sticking with the same socket they could have made a number of improvements that wouldn't have broken the bank.

As for the 'folks around here' statement, I don't think anyone thinks that. You seem to keep ignoring the fact we're looking at no major improvements in a very important area for half a decade. That is not a short period of time, no matter how you try to spin it.

I'm going to call this as I see it with at least some of the people in this thread: Blind protection of a company in a way which verges on fanboyism.