AMD: We Are On Track With Steamroller Micro-Architecture in 2013.

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Pill Monster, Apr 1, 2013.

1. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    I have about as much faith in AMD to keep up as I do in a politician to not lie. Doesn't Dolphin use AVX already?

As mentioned, the Win 8 optimizations didn't seem to do anything more than 1%. In this scenario we're talking about it'd obviously be more though. Even if it had no optimization issues the single threaded performance is just too far behind for me. Their top CPU is $200, compared to $330, yet it still doesn't make sense for me to buy it. It's motherboards are cheaper too aren't they...

I completely forgot about that. It would illogical if that's not what happens. Perhaps we will see multithreaded games becoming more mainstream in a year after all, depending on when they release the 720/PS4. It seems they're aiming for Decemeber but I haven't kept up in a while.

In that best case scenario I'd still end up buying Intel's overpriced CPUs. I have a plethora of esoteric programs written by monkeys that run on a single thread.

Someone invent reverse hyper threading plox.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2013
  2. Chillin

Chillin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    That's poor logic, otherwise games from the XBOX360 ported over to the PC would be "optimized" for AMD graphics, but we see that it isn't so.

And Jaguar has little to nothing in common with AMD's FX series.

3. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    It's perfect logic. Jaguar is x86-64 architecture and the console version will have 8 cores. The games will be made to run on 8 x86-64 threads, that should heavily carry over to the PC ports.

4. IcE

IcE Don Snow

GPU:
    3070Ti FE
    Yeah, I said this earlier. The FX isn't going to magically start performing better because it's not a true 8 core. Intel chips from this time will still more than hold their own because of how strong each core is.

5. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Kinda like your posted benchmarks have nothing to do with anything.....;) Really what were you trying to prove? That Intel and AMD CPU perform the same at high res??? I don't get it....

Anyway my comment is perfectly logical, I'm sure you don't want to admit it....multithreaded gaming is the future.

6. mR Yellow

mR Yellow Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 Fury
    Agreed.

7. Del_Boy

Del_Boy Banned

GPU:
    MSI R9 290 (2560x1600)
    If this is an aprill fools then Hilbert you are a douche.

8. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    ^Pill posted this not Hilbert. SMH

9. Stukov

Stukov Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6970/4870X2 (both dead)
    MS didnt work closely with AMD like Sony did in regards to their chip. MS (based on being burned by Nvidia) basically told AMD what it wanted and to make, then bought the chip from them outright and did their own production and what not.

MS has lots of experience with DX and didnt NEED AMD at all for anything other than designing the chip the first time.

Sony, on the other hand, doesn't have as much experience as AMD with AMD's hardware and everything I've seen and has been presented is Sony and AMD are working closely on all issues to make the PS4 as successful as possible.

Given that AMD will probably keep working with Sony, it stands to reason that the deduction that AMD didnt benefit from the 360 isn't equatable to saying AMD won't benefit from the PS4. Two entirely different business arrangements and companies. So =/=. It still has to be seen whether AMD will benefit from this, but your statement is not very indicative of evidence it wont.

10. Athlonite

Athlonite Maha Guru

GPU:
    Pulse RX5700 8GB

Apparently the 1090FX chipset has been mothballed

11. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    Well isn't the pot calling the kettle black. In forums the OP is noted under the thread title, its not exactly a new feature and has been that way for years and years

12. Taint3dBulge

Taint3dBulge Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI Suprim X 4090
    Those benches look about right.. Intel isnt 20~30fps higher in every game like most people say.. Yes there are afew games that are 10+ higher, but those are already over 100fps.

Id like to see 5ghz vs a i5 at 5ghz.. see if you get the same results..

Anyways we will see in the future with game being coded for AMD/ATi hardware and the new steamroller will prolly make things alittle bit better. More then likley it will be 5% slower then haswell is my guessing..

13. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    its definately not a sidegrade to an i5 but a good chip nevertheless and inexpensive

14. Stukov

Stukov Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6970/4870X2 (both dead)
    IB doesn't scale super great to 5ghz (nor as easily) as AMD's design but I can tell you it will be faster as with exception to highly multithreaed apps or GPU bottlednecked games, SB/IB/HW are faster than AMD clock for clock. Steamroller may address some of these deficiencies but Bulldozer was not designed to be equal clock for clock, it was designed to scale to higher frequency, so its a rather moot comparison really.

15. Chillin

Chillin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    And here is the bottom line I'll keep repeating till you guys get it, performance is not the main key anymore, power usage is. You don't get into ultrabooks by performance, you get into them by low power with decent performance. This goes doubly so for tablets and quadruply so for smartphones.

Intel had good strategists and market analysts (as you would expect for such a tens of billions of dollars corporation) who foresaw this (mostly, they missed out the smartphone part) and reorganized Intel to focus on getting good performance at lower and lower power usage. This started with the "Core" series (Conroe/Merom) and has continued ever since. Haswell and Silvermont are going to be some of the upcoming big jumps along this path.

And unfortunately for AMD, the Bulldozer architecture was targeting a different market that didn't exist on release and certainly doesn't exist now. They are trying to hold on with Temsah, and to a degree Jaguar, but their key architecture is dead in the water for the moment.

AMD needs to get their various departments into order, and push out an architecture that would compete fully in the tablet arena (which is screaming out for an architecture with good graphics performance) and to a degree in the smartphone arena. Intel is charging ahead with the new Atom (Silvermont) which will include their "HD" graphics (which should theoretically give them a leg up on their competition) and Nvidia's next architecture (Logan) will use the same architecture as their desktop/mobile GPU's (Kepler).

16. cowie

cowie Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX
    I hope for all of us they are on the right track.

But what is amd's track?

I dont thinks it my track,you know go 7.0 on stock cooling and good one's go 8.0 :nerd:

17. Chillin

Chillin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Desktops are a dead market, everyone (except for most people on this forum) realize that and are shifting focus.

99% of people do not need a desktop to watch movies, surf the web and emails, and play the random game. The final goal is a system along the lines of Microsoft Surface Pro (which is not there yet, but is a good indication of things to come) which has 90% of the power of the average PC but the mobility of a tablet. A further reality is that some of the horsepower will be offloaded from the tablet itself to the cloud (Nvidia Grid, etc).

I know this might sound like heresy to the people on this forum, but the end result is that you will be dragged kicking and screaming into the new reality.

18. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    i7 here with 8 threads at 5ghz, vs 8 threads amd at 5ghz, any takers?

19. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    wPrime 32m will suffice for the test. Give me 10 mins to get home and ill post a run.

20. Chillin

Chillin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Cinebench 11.5 MT would be nice as well.