AMD: We’re Very Committed To Gaming So That’s Not Going To Change

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jan 24, 2018.

1. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RX 470 Strix
    I think if AMD was commuted to gaming they would do something about video cards intended for gamers being able to mine in future generations of video cards.

Not that they will, because Money.

2. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 2080 Dual OC
    LIke Nvidia, they are committed to make the most profitable cards they can.

3. thatguy91

thatguy91 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX 480 RS 4 GB
    It's bad business to deliberately make items that have comparatively low profitability unless that item in some way promotes sales or interest of other items.

4. Evildead666

Evildead666 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Vega64/EKWB/Noctua
    i'm with you on the N°2 point.

I lookd at the roadmaps, and Vega is getting a shrink to 7nm, but only for the Compute/Pro cards, as I see it.
    I'm expecting Navi to be fully Gaming Focused, and to not have the Pro parts, very much like what Nvidia is doing currently.
    Whether or not you will still be able to mine on them is another thing, that info will only be available on or near release though.

5. fry178

fry178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080S WaterForceWB
    Not needed, just a way to limit mining on (gaming) gpus.

E.g., only low power state can be used if no screen is connected/rendering/no game/benchmark running, as non miners will always have a moni or tv hooked up.

Nothing will ever run continuesly at 100% load.
    Games and even benches will load in-between/have scenery change, that will cause the gpu load to drop below 100, so they just need to monitor it, and if the card runs at 100% load for more than 1h, drop the power state/clock to idle/web surfing/streaming like load.

Seperate lineup for miners, with no video out (so they cant sell those to gamers) and maybe different warranty coverage...

alanm likes this.