AMD Vega To Launch 1H 2017

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Rich_Guy, Aug 27, 2016.

1. Fox2232

Fox2232 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Same here, but I hope 8C/16T Zen will perform. Because I'll not buy new GPU without new CPU/MB.
    And I would not mind more RAM too. Things I do often choke on poor old 16GB ram + SSD swap.

2. Ryu5uzaku

Ryu5uzaku Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800 XT
    For sure. Easy, since I have some performance to be unlocked by changing cpu/mobo/ram somewhere in between november and march.

3. AlmondMan

AlmondMan Master Guru

GPU:
    5700 XT Red Devil
    Hurt myself? How? I don't know what Inspector is. The last game I remember releasing with any PhysX in it, that wasn't the CPU-version, was Borderlands 2 and that's what, 4 years old? Physx needs to just die. Gameworks? Can't recall playing any game where that was an upside.

No, nVidia has been pricegouging and doing nothing but developing dull products for years now, trying to put a value spin on them by having nonsense features like "Ansel" - as if I'll ever take a single screenshot with it, Shadowplay and other things that almost noone will ever use in reality.

Get your rhetoric under control.

4. Kaarme

Kaarme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 390
    I wouldn't call them dull, I would only call them overpriced. In my opinion 1070 and 1080 are kickass cards, no matter how you look at them. If you can afford them. If there's anything making them dull, it's the fact there's no AMD card to pit against them.

5. Exige245

Exige245 Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 5700XT 50th Anni
    Pitcairn (7800 series) and Cypress (5800 series) both beat Nvidia in watt/perf.

6. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    The Nano also beats the GTX 980.

7. PrMinisterGR

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    To be honest, I don't know. There was that Vega "we're done" party at AMD, but I don't know how long it will take them to release. There is also the chance that Vega is a staggered release, with all parts being released during that time frame, which would make more sense along with the rest of the data we have.

The Polaris rumor proved to be complete BS, as the supposed stuck specs fit no place that the chip is being used. The RX 470 has a 1.2GHz base clock, so no. There were also the same rumors that Polaris would launch on October and stuff like that.

What I believe is that Vega is going to be a staggered release. I believe we'll see the top end parts first, actually.

8. Devilhunter12

Devilhunter12 Banned

GPU:
    GTX 980 Ti Lightning
    Yes the rumors are mostly BS about and mostly positive. Some people said that RX 480 will be the competition to GTX 1070, then they said it overclocked to 1500mhz out of the box, then they said it will replace fury and Fury X and all turns out to be BS same as for those people who say that AMD will launch a surprise in late this year. They will do nothing as simple as that because their all resources and capital is gone to Zen. AMD fans need to pray that Zen become successful and if it is not then GG AMD with in 2017. Zen is the main priority not VEGA.

Another thing is that AMD delaying is that they have shifted their production in China for VEGA and AMD has layoff so many western engineer and hired Chinese employee for VEGA ,which is one the reason it is in 1H.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2016
  9. PrMinisterGR

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    The people making CPUs and the people making GPUs don't overlap in AMD. When they make/launch one, they can also do the other in the same time. Zen looks fine, if it can OC up to 4GHz with the 8core configuration and have a nice price it will do amazing things for them.

AMD has a deal with a Chinese CPU company, and has licensed x86 to them. I don't know where they design chips. There haven't been any layoffs also.

10. Stormyandcold

Stormyandcold Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX1070 GamingX

11. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX980Ti OC
    Idk about you but Big Polaris came close to 1070, and Close to FuryX too, that's all. Oc'ed to the max it really comes close.. Not that it will win, but close.

I was one of those people and at times it is like so, other times its not.. No mystery there.
    Its not a great gpu, but it delivers for what it is. 1070gtx or 1080gtx for that matter is nothing special either, I know what a OC'ed 980Ti does and for me personally I would like it to be even stronger - TitanXP perf. strong.

Vega schmega is direct competitor for full Pascal, they're not in a rush atm FuryX still delivers for what it is to compete with 980ti/1070/1080.

That said I want AMD to deliver so it makes rivals think twice and then do a better job not rely on its old victory.

btw AMD Zen will kick intel's butt you will see. This architecture is here for the win.
    I think my next cpu will be AMD again, but probably Zen+ release so it matures more, until then I have enough power with this 8thread cpu at 4.7GHz.:pc1::nerd:

12. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    I like how everyone is just assigning arbitrary performance values to the word "special"

13. patrickisfrench

patrickisfrench Member

GPU:
    GeForce Titan XP @ 2.1ghz
    am I the only one who thinks of this when reading the worlds "vega enthusiast"??

[​IMG]

14. PrMinisterGR

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    Special is something that breaks a pattern in a positive way. The 8800GT was special. The 9700Pro was special. The 1080 is definitely not special. There is no specific way to determine if something is special, just a sniffing of the zeitgeist. There haven't been any really "special" products from any side for quite a while. Tahiti and or Hawaii might be "special", but definitely not exciting.

Unless there is a personnel reduction, lay offs mean that people get fired and others get hired in their place.

15. SavagePotato

SavagePotato Banned

GPU:
    Quadro M6000
    No way in hell this is happening man, Vega 11 is due 1H 2017.

Not across the board it doesn't, if you pick and choose one specific title sure, it does, but across the board it doesn't, and most people look at averages over a range of titles to determine perf/w as far as gaming is concerned; see TPU.

16. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    GTX 1070 does pretty much what GTX 970. Though this time the power efficiency improvements are rather spectacular. RX 480 is not even close to GTX 1070/980 Ti.

17. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX980Ti OC
  18. Bleib

Bleib Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX 480 8GB
    It's a long wait, I just hope AMD can do tile-based rendering if the Nvidia rumors are true. That should shoot up efficiency quite a lot.

19. Maddness

Maddness Maha Guru

GPU:
    3080 Aorus Xtreme
    I'm glad now that I decided not to wait for Vega to launch and just grabed the 1080 for now. By the time it does come out (if June release is correct) I will be ready for an upgrade then. And will certainly get Vega if the performance is better than what I currently have. Just have to wait and see.