AMD VEGA now scheduled for October launch

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, May 11, 2016.

1. TheHeavySoldier

TheHeavySoldier New Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte Windforce HD7950
  2. Reardan

Reardan Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 3080
    I'd still like an explanation for why this baseless crap was posted as news. Unless there's some additional confirmation no one knows about and the article doesn't speak about, in which case we should be told that.

But as is, this post should be completely deleted. As far as I can see, its only reason for existing is page hits, which is disgusting, since none of the proof it offers is based in any kind of reality.

3. zer0_c0ol

zer0_c0ol Ancient Guru

GPU:
    FuryX cf
    Well arent you a bit high and mighty.

4. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    HEY HEY HEY PEOPLE.

Stop with the fighting, and the name calling, and the bashing already.

If you don't, then well you don't want to know what'll happen!

Now I want to see you all smiling and holding hands(Over the internet)!!!

5. PinchedNerve

PinchedNerve Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte AORUS 1080 Ti XE
    Hmmm, I guess you have to be an AMD employee or AMD fanboy to read the following as good.

:thumbup:

6. Ieldra

Ieldra Banned

GPU:
    GTX 980Ti G1 1500/8000

And I'm saying that no matter what raja says or AMD decides to name their new gpus, anything other than consistency in naming would be stupid.

7. Illnino

Illnino Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX 290x EK H20
    What has exactly changed here? The original reports were had Vega Q4 16 Q1 17...

8. Kaarme

Kaarme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 390
    It did seem exceptionally weird that AMD would only have entry level and mid level cards in the market this year. Nvidia's approach seem smarter in that sense that nothing can replace the faster than ever top cards, but if somebody can't afford them, they can buy a card from the previous generation that has suffered a price drop. It really makes one think that AMD grossly miscalculated the HMB development whereas NVidia for some reason, despite having zilch experience with the tech, was able to guess HMB2 won't be available yet this summer. Or maybe it was the cold reality that AMD didn't have the dough to develop a suitable GPU using GDDR5X.

9. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Nah, I just think AMD wants to try to capture a majority of the marketshare back. Most people here don't realize, but the vast, vast majority of sales are in the $200-300 range for cards. If AMD can hit 980Ti performance levels with a $300 card then they are going to capture a huge portion of the market.

The problem with AMD is that their marketing is terrible. They showed off Polaris 10/11 way too early, which hurt current sales. It got people hyped for a bit, because everyone assumed 10 was going to be faster then a Fury X. But now, in the past month or two, it's looking like 10 is more like a 390x/980Ti or somewhere in between. Which is nice for people looking for that, but obviously people on Guru3D and such are looking at top of the line stuff and not another midrange card and it's under expectations. What made matters worse is that everyone stupidly assumed that Nvidia wouldn't have anything until the end of this year. They made that assumption because Nvidia didn't show off ES samples and demos like AMD did. Like people keep saying Nvidia's launch of GP104 is a paper one, but I'd honestly argue that AMD's demos of Polaris were also essentially just paper launches. They basically served the same purpose, which wasn't to launch a card, or inform customers (nvidia's 1080 launch was/is terrible, in both messaging and marketing) but just to hurt their competitor. Anyway, yeah, so you had all this hype generated from Polaris 10/11 samples, then here comes Nvidia out of left field with a card 20-30% faster then a 980Ti (much faster then rumors of Polaris 10) and it's available by the end of the month (for an outrageous price). Nvidia knew when Polaris was being announced and Dreamhack was like the last event before Polaris Computex launch. They basically stole the thunder right out from underneath AMD. On the 17th the reviews will come out and all the tech sites will be talking about Nvidia for a few weeks. I'm sure preorders will go out and Nvidia will get a few people to buy $700 founders cards.

Regardless, I think AMD's strategy of trying to capture the middle, larger, market is actually really smart. I think it's going to work out for them as long as they actually deliver on that rumored $300 price point.

Last edited: May 11, 2016
  10. zer0_c0ol

zer0_c0ol Ancient Guru

GPU:
    FuryX cf
    I guess you need to be a nvfanboy not to appreciate competition.. Instead of 2017 i will upgrade to hbm 2.0 in October.. win and win for me..

And as for you and not actually having the ability to think 5 minutes ahead, who is to say that p10 will not be on par with the 1070? Who is to say that this vega is just there to kick pascal in the butt.. No one knows for a fact..

All shall be revealed march 26 / June 4...

11. Reardan

Reardan Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 3080
    No you won't, because the October date is something someone with less credibility than you (surprising) just ****ing made up on a random German forum.

12. zer0_c0ol

zer0_c0ol Ancient Guru

GPU:
    FuryX cf
    So they went(if this rumor is true) with a more expensive hbm 2.0 option? Or both will have 5x?

13. PinchedNerve

PinchedNerve Master Guru

GPU:
    Not following the logic here. 980ti Performance levels, @ $300, you say.

So, if the basic 1070, is $379.00, why wouldn't that force the 980ti's lower? Thus, why would anyone need an AMD product with "980Ti performance levels", if they can just buy a 980ti, or a "faster then Titan X" 1070 for $79.00 more?

Edit: Not to mention the amount of people that are already dumping (selling used) their current 980ti's to upgrade.

14. zer0_c0ol

zer0_c0ol Ancient Guru

GPU:
    FuryX cf
    Um how about you read till the end instead of proving your stupidity.. No one knows for a fact.. My upgrade cycle was 2017 and hbm 2.0 , I do not care for 1070/80 and p11/10. If this turns out to be true that it is awesome for me i will get it in October IF NOT then in Q1 2017, no skin of my bones. You on the other hand just like to shill for no reason at all.

15. Stormyandcold

Stormyandcold Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3080ti Founders
    This is business guys, rumours or not. Banking on the latest tech will always have risks.

Either way, even if this rumour is false; it's still exactly what AMD needs to do. If AMD wait until q1 2017, then, that's upto 9months that GTX1080 will be top card. From a business perspective for AMD; that's a disaster. It's serious enough for share-prices to drop and de-value the company.

You know what happens when you sit at the top...alone? Premium prices! Which means extra profit and better public image, because people will know Nvidia are the best. This then draws in more board partners because everyone wants a slice of the action.

Nvidia tbh I think do have a potentially great product in their hands, it's certainly got my attention and "do want".

16. PinchedNerve

PinchedNerve Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD Competition at its best?

:giggle2:

I guess I should thank AMD for removing themselves from my upgrade decision making process.

As for you, I wouldn't bet the farm on a October AMD Xmas.

17. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    No one knows if Volta is coming out tomorrow, but if I post it in a forum does that mean it should be front page news too?

When is the 1070 hitting that price point? Most people assume AMD is launching their cards at Computex, going to be available at launch. If that's the case AMD has a product $180 cheaper than the 1070 (founders edition) a few weeks earlier at roughly the same performance level.

So yeah, I think that would sell extremely well. Especially considering we know literally nothing about the 1070, other then it's .1 tflops slower then a boosted Titan X yet Nvidia claims its faster. Which I'm sure it is, but if it is, its by like 5% at most.

18. Reardan

Reardan Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 3080
    A shill, what kind of stupid statement is that? I'm not even advocating anything aside from decent journalism and standards. So what, I'm an impartial shill with no agenda except good reporting? Well I mean if that's what a shill is, then so be it.

19. zer0_c0ol

zer0_c0ol Ancient Guru

GPU:
    FuryX cf
    LOL

Typical fanboy way of thinking. Instead of making assumptions you should really ask when will I upgrade, but I will state that it was always in 2017 and hbm 2.0, I do not care for p10 and g1000 series at all.. If this is true then i will upgrade in October IF not the q1 2017... simple really

And as for the 1080, if by any chance p10 is on par with the 1070 well as for the market amd will have covered low/mid/higg end mobile, low/mid dekstop, and nvidia will have the top end with 1080..

p.s the only cards that matter for competition in the market are 970/390 types of cards and below..

20. zer0_c0ol

zer0_c0ol Ancient Guru

GPU:
    FuryX cf
    You are arguing a rumor.. It is not good reporting lmfao it is just futile en devour