AMD to postpone Zen 3 processors to 2021 due to weak competition

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jun 16, 2020.

1. bobblunderton

bobblunderton Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 2070 Super 8gb
    Just build when there's a sale that gives you the kind of performance you want for your money. PLEASE Don't wait your life away, if you enjoy building, go enjoy it! This from someone who's unable to get out on a regular basis due to physical health issues at the 'young' age of almost-40. Enjoy your life my man, enjoy your life. Provided it doesn't put you in financial hardship, go build a nice machine and ENJOY using what you've worked hard to earn. When new stuff comes out you want, sell or donate/give to family member(s) the older stuff.
    The customers - almost all of us - wanted more clock speed. Well with how much we loved Ryzen 3xxx, a great performing chip for the power it uses (as I sit here not sweating anymore!).
    The processors without coolers are being offered to us to reduce cost, and reduce wasted material that otherwise would have driven up prices for those who didn't need the heatsink/fan.
    These are mostly meant for the upgrading crowd, as AM4 socket is reaching the end of it's useful life.
    You can get the same cooler that comes (lacking the copper base!) with the 3600 CPU for 8.99$ to 12.99$ shipped off of Flea Bay (EBay). Go get it if you need it.
    You can choose a processor that still comes with the cooler if you wish, but if AMD chose to include a beefy cooler for the XT models, many folks including you and I who likely already have a better or equal cooler would have to pay the extra 20~30$ USD for it.
    I'm not so much trying to defend AMD (though fact-check I do have stock in them and TSMC), would you rather have a 30$ cheaper CPU where you can buy any 30~50$ cooler you wish for, for your individual build, for only a whopping 0~20$ more? I call that a win, especially now with the air and water cooling market as well rounded as it is now.

For contribution to the topic:
    Delays are due to economy and also TSMC's two biggest customers just did an about-face:
    Apple sales dropped off sharply as people realized they either don't need an Apple device or can get the same tech from someone else for much, much less (and they did) in a recession. Apple makes lots of I-wants and not as much of the I-needs. So they are affected quite a lot by the economy and how good things are going. This was TSMC's biggest customer and using 5nm IIRC.
    Huawei is banned from using TSMC (well TSMC is banned from servicing their contract) by USA GOV. They were the second biggest customer of TSMC.
    AMD was I believe the third biggest customer, and just as early as last fall and holiday season, had customers lining up to buy product they couldn't produce fast enough.

Put this all together and what do you get?
    Lots of capacity on 7nm and 5nm that was previously reserved for others is now completely open to AMD, right when AMD needs it the most (if even a bit after the fact).
    So this delay/switch-up is the result. No one saw this coming, but it'll be good for all of us when AMD finally brings their A-game to the table again.
    It's a business, they don't LOVE you, they love profit. They don't make profit, you won't get CPU's, because they if they don't make profit they won't stay in business.
    They can compete, and that they will, for that is their mission. They just had to fall back a bit and re-organize the play book a bit. These things happen.

It will pay off for ALL of US next year. Be patient, and enjoy the fact that yes AMD listened to their customers.
    We didn't want something that wouldn't work with our motherboards. This is also the result of that. We got given the availability of chips with XT moniker with higher clock speeds for gaming.

Go enjoy this. Those chips are available for pre orders (be careful on price!) and coming out 7/7/2020 one year after Ryzen 3xxx.
    Seriously, I am all for anything that means competition, because where it's there, we all win!
    Those who still think they can complain, can harken fondly (likely by themselves) back to the days of intel quad-core dominance and little/only barely modest improvement generation after generation. No thanks!
    None of this is a promise that we won't see Zen 3 4xxx before the holiday season, I'd 100% wait for an official announcement, but you never know. I am thankful for what I am given and will remain that way indefinitely. If and when we get goodies from AMD or Intel, great; if not - life shall still go on.

Fine print: Not a fanboy of anything but a good deal on good performing parts that won't be outdated overnight - a hard offer to meet in PC tech, but not impossible. I tried to type this all in a manner that's not offensive, but my apology ahead of time if it is to you (please tell me if it is, via here if you're contributing to the topic or over private message if not, so I can make corrections where needed). Thank-you for reading the fine print, and take pride in your good eye sight.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2020
    carnivore, Goiur and 0blivious like this.
  2. angelgraves13

angelgraves13 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Ti FE
    Was really looking forward to Zen 3. Hope we see something this year, but I guess that money can go for a 3080 Ti instead.

3. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 7970 Quadrobake
    The mistakes that made them make more than 20$bn per year, and literally not be able to make chips fast enough :p

(I get what you mean, but there is that side to it too).

4. Nictron

Nictron Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 1080Ti
    At least they are honest and acting in line with both consumer and shareholder interests. Maybe less on the consumer side.

Time will tell if this is the right decision.

I for one would not rush it if I can invest time in Zen 3 & 4 towards IPC and yield improvements which would put me in an even better competing stance with Intel for the foreseeable future as Intel still has the IPC and clock-speed crown.

Let's hope they are acting with a sound mind and not a greedy mind.

I personally think the recent success took them by surprise!

5. Jayp

Jayp Member Guru

GPU:
    2080 Ti
    Wow you sound like a bad media headline. The XT CPUs are going to be the only ones that don't come with CPU coolers or 3800XT and 3900XT anyways from what I read. The MSRP is the same as current Zen 2 CPUs but as we see Zen 2 is far under MSRP at the moment. Not sure how this makes for overpriced Zen 2. We haven't even seen XT come to market. AMD has continuously sold under MSRP shortly after product launch. IF the XT only sells for MSRP and doesn't offer much multi-core clock headroom then just get the non-XT model that is cheaper and includes the cooler. It makes sense that the XT wouldn't come with a stock cooler that many won't use in the enthusiast level CPUs. Even at $499 the improved 12 core CPU would have benefits depending on the user. That's already the case for the current 3900X.

What we are seeing here is very likely the product of slow competition as the article stated. AMD probably originally saw Intel out of 14 nm by now and needing to push Zen 3 this year. Why rush a product that doesn't need to come out when your competition leaves you little reason to do so?

I'd love to seen Zen 3 come out ASAP and truly beat Intel in everything but I could understand if they delayed.

6. jwb1

jwb1 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 2080 Ti
    Places can't even keep the 10600k, 10700k, 10900k in stock they sell so fast. Try another one.

7. Jayp

Jayp Member Guru

GPU:
    2080 Ti
    Microprocessor companies typically make the most money selling current generation processors as long as they can. It cost AMD a lot of money to push a new product, one that isn't necessary to sell volumes. The current Zen 2 architecture is selling fine they have to consider how much better the next architecture sells over what they currently offer. It's very likely that AMD expected the need for Zen 3 by now but Intel proved otherwise. It's also likely that there are other reasons at play for the delay. I thought the rumors of the "XT" series were good indication that we'd seen Zen 3 later than planned anyways. Why launch XT a couple months before Zen 3. Who knows maybe we get 5 nm Zen 3 after all. Just have to wait now.

8. Jayp

Jayp Member Guru

GPU:
    2080 Ti
    If you consider low stock selling out quickly then take your "win" however you like it I guess. Also not sure what your remark has to do with AMD success in the market. That's anecdotal information at its best "They're out of stock" lol. Why are you seeming to make this and AMD vs Intel argument? You work for Intel or something? They pay you?

9. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Duke GTX1080Ti
    Well this is kinda of lame but i can´t understand AMD´s decision. The problem is that they are giving valuable time for Intel to recover...

10. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Duke GTX1080Ti
    For me this "new" parts should replace directly the older ones, basically offering a speed bump for the buyers. About the old parts, the 3700X is down to 315€ and the 3800X is down to 345€! Very tempting prices, specially the 3800X. The 10700K costs 430€...

Posted this is the wrong place, sorry guys... Can someone erase this?

11. DownwithEA

DownwithEA Member

GPU:
    1060 6GB
    Can someone refill the salt shaker?

wavetrex likes this.
  12. jwb1

jwb1 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 2080 Ti
    Look at the headline of this article, it started out with anecdotal information at best with its statement "weak competition from Intel" and the fact the AMD delay is still a rumor not confirmed. And what you are saying with "low stock" is also anecdotal. Its funny you accuse other people of that when you are doing it yourself. What I said is factual and can be proven by looking at places that sell the product and many reviewers with insider information have said the 10th Gen are selling and demand is high.

BTW, I was able to buy a 10900k and a 10400. Places are getting stock usually every day, I know this for a fact from Newegg as I have contacts there.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2020
  13. NCC1701D

NCC1701D Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Ti
    I'm sure you're right. Sounds like this can't be fixed then. We should just expect a 3-6 month window after launch before things work correctly.

14. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080Ti @h2o
    ManofGod likes this.
  15. NewTRUMP Order

NewTRUMP Order Master Guru

GPU:
    STRIX GTX 1080
    LOL as usual everyone bites down hard on a rumor. AMD has commented on the rumor and said the release is on schedule for 2020 release.

SplashDown likes this.

16. NewTRUMP Order

NewTRUMP Order Master Guru

GPU:
    STRIX GTX 1080
    Amd has built up momentum over Intel, laptop cpu's are smoking Intels, their server cpu's are starting to be used instead of Intel's. They have been churning out newer and lower powered cpu's than Intel. AMD has been gaining consumer awareness and confidence in their product to an astounding level. The xt release is kind of a dud, but I think AMD is just selling off binned product before the new release. AMD is smart to keep putting out newer and better cpus. They are drowning Intel in releases. Intel's response? Crank up the speed on same old platform. Lol that tactic is getting long in the tooth and product loyalty is waning badly for Intel.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2020
    jbscotchman likes this.
  17. EDIT: May I ask a question regarding this article? @Hilbert Hagedoorn

May I request an amend/update to the first article so it doesn't come off like clickbait. That's usually what one sees on many news/journalist sites the article but then "Update - this story has been modified to reflect new information"

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 21, 2020
  18. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX5700
    Some people, for some idiotic reason, want this rumor to be true. Some people think the demise of AMD would be good for consumers and the industry.....

Deleted member 213629 likes this.
  19. sverek

sverek Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    Title should edited and thread be locked. Would also appreciate less blunt rumors on Guru3d.

EDIT: Thank you.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2020
    Deleted member 213629 likes this.
  20. chanw4

chanw4 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 280
    I'm confused, didn't @Hilbert Hagedoorn already posted another article stating the rumor were denied by AMD directly and people still commented on this topic as if this rumor still holds? Shouldn't Guru3D lock this thread and amend / update the article to the new article for reference?