AMD to postpone Zen 3 processors to 2021 due to weak competition

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jun 16, 2020.

1. Silva

Silva Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX560 4G
    Believing rumours without questioning their source or probability of being fake, is really bad for your heart.
    Even if they're true, would you rather: have AMD lunch new overpriced CPUs (because no competition) or wait 1 year and lunch something competitive that you'd buy?
    I don't get it: my 2600 plays any game I throw at it and I could just upgrade to 3700X (or 3950X for those in need of productivity) if needed, why be so angry you have to poop rant this forum thread all over?
    You guys need to chill and look at what Intel has been doing for the past 10 years.

Loophole35 and Luc like this.
  2. jwb1

jwb1 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 2080 Ti
    More like they want to sell their current stuff. Has nothing to do with Intel.

Silva likes this.
  3. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS R9 290
    Doesn't seem they have too much of a problem with that. They put on really enticing sales to get rid of old stock still on shelves, and any old stock that isn't on shelves they just rebrand as a different model or sell as part of their "pro" series.
    Either way, it's a little hard to tell if Intel is the reason for it. If Intel were more competitive, AMD probably wouldn't delay Zen3, but despite Zen2 being overall better in every category, Intel is still competitive (in some markets). Therefore, if AMD is delaying Zen3, competition isn't the reason. Or, it really ought not to be if they're smart about it.

4. jbscotchman

jbscotchman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Ti Ventus
    This. If they can wait to release Zen 3 after 2020, then that takes a huge liability off them. Meaning if B450 isn't fully compatible with Zen 3 (which I know it won't be) they can basically say: "Hey, we held up our end of the deal."

5. definfinite

definfinite Member

GPU:
    GG6602G
    The speed at which AMD were pushing out new CPU's were quite insane, I guess they could afford to adjust their pace whether this is true or not.
    Anyhow, I am quite happy with their current offerings. It was a long wait to get out of them intel's 4-core mainstream nightmare dominance.
    I hope intel will catch up rather sooner than later. Currently they do seem like they have been lost on 14nm.

6. ruthan

ruthan Master Guru

GPU:
    G1070 MSI Gaming
    So they doing same thing what was Intel doing.. they are artification stopping evolution and milking us, we really need to switch to ARM, where are bigger competition.
    They are rummors that Apple would be doing same thing.

7. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS R9 290
    Not necessarily. Intel just simply re-released mostly the same thing under a different name. If I understand this rumor correctly, AMD just isn't doing anything new at all.

As for ARM: way ahead of you. I'm writing this on an ARM laptop, and I'm currently waiting for a shipment to come in of an ARM platform I intend to use for my home server.

8. ruthan

ruthan Master Guru

GPU:
    G1070 MSI Gaming
    Well we need big ARM consumers CPUs with strong cores, so far we have only big server ARMs with zillions of cores. I dunno how complicated is make stronger ARM core, but im waiting for it, maybe 10 years..
    After that i would have to somehow solve how to run old x86 apps on it. I guess that MS will do nothing for it, so will have to move to Linux use some KVM with Qemu realtime instruction translation - what never was so great and supported, but its only way to go. Vmware probably would able to solve it, but it would be not for free and we would move from MS garden to Vmware garden. I still not understand why Vmware is ignoring Android as whole..

9. tty8k

tty8k Master Guru

GPU:
    It's a business and no freebies or cheap stuff here as the amd raging fanboys believe.
    Given the current market state and their actual products, makes no sense to push it.

Besides, the new gen will only bring what? another 10% average performance? meh.
    Maybe they work to improve that to make more sense, even go on that 5nm node.

10. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS R9 290
    Haha well, that's not gonna happen. That defeats the purpose of ARM. ARM is all about performance-per-watt and being RISC (albeit, it's hardly RISC noawadays). The engineers typically design the architectures to stay within a certain power envelope. It is up to the licensees to crank up the TDP if they see fit. Typically, they don't push it too hard because ARM scales up in clock speed very poorly, and I guess it isn't very cost or space effective to add a bajillion cores (EDIT: for consumer-grade hardware). That being said, servers often use ARM specifically because of its efficiency, and not because of compute power.
    At this rate, the only architecture that has any chance to compete with x86 at the high-end is either POWER or RISC-V. Neither of those are easily attainable by the average person.
    Windows 10 has a compatibility layer for x86 programs. It's not great but it works. In Linux, you can use binfmt_misc (from QEMU) to run applications from other architectures without the need of a full-blown emulation or VM. You have to install the libs from those other architectures but in some distros like Debian, that's pretty easy.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2020
    Fox2232 likes this.

11. Megastitious

Megastitious Member

GPU:
    Again with competition.These companies care more about their own statuses and their competitions, rather than their customers.It was all good until they beat Intel.Now they are holding back.What's next?Increased prices?Same treachery everywhere.You have the money, you have the power.Just revolutionize the market, reach higher places.Why the need to go toe to toe is ALWAYS a requirement?I'm tired of their schemes.Everybody's the same and their excuses are LAME.That's no reason to hold back.Guess that explains that one mystery, as to why we got stuck at 1080p for almost a decade now (looking at you Nvidia).

12. RED.Misfit

RED.Misfit Active Member

GPU:
    MSI 1080 Gaming X
    AMD is far from having 85% of the market in Europe. It may have 85% in DIY market at selected online e-tailer and that's it.
    It if had 85% of desktop market, they wouldn't be stuck at less than 2 billions numbers quarterly and we would perceive a small decline or stagnation in Intel's desktop numbers. That's not the case !

Like "Luc" wrote earlier today, there is no official words suggesting Zen 3 is delayed. The last official information from AMD was Devinder Kumar's words at bank of america interview, 2 weeks ago, where he clearly stated :

Source : https://seekingalpha.com/article/43...f-america-securities-global-technology?page=1

Exodite, Luc and Loophole35 like this.
  13. NCC1701D

NCC1701D Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Ti
    If I were AMD, I would want to push forward and have a processor that can beat Intel in all areas if and while they can. There's still a lot of people that buy Intel for gaming rigs and they can't be convinced to switch away from Intel unless they can buy a processor that will outright beat Intel in that area for every single resolution and use case. Regardless of how small the difference might be, it's full stop for some buyers and they won't bite.

Intel will eventually sort out their process issues and a new design will come with it. I think AMD should try to finally overtake Intel in the gaming performance benchmarks if they can, and while they can. It would at least give them a reputation bump in the eyes of new system builders and Intel loyalists. I mean, look at Apple. There's no convincing their fans to buy anything else, even if the performance is better and cheaper from a competitor. That's how a lot of people feel about Intel. Of course there are a myriad of reasons why AMD might want to delay, but brand name recognition can be incredibly powerful. It can literally sell your product without marketing expense. Look at all the fights it causes here in the comments section, lol. Now that's power over the mind of the consumer!

carnivore and Luc like this.
  14. RED.Misfit

RED.Misfit Active Member

GPU:
    MSI 1080 Gaming X
    Dear karma777police, AMD never reported an official delay. You just lost one point of karma.

Come on, you're blaming them before they confirm any delay in Zen3. Worse, you blame them while they said it remains on track, despite covid-19, for a launch late 2020 as expected before.
    Digitimes is not AMD's subsidiary !

carnivore, HandR, Silva and 1 other person like this.
  15. EspHack

EspHack Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATI/HD5770/1GB
    Lol, that didn't take long

AMD would be wise to remember that intel still released sandybridge to knock them out for good, they should do the same if given the chance, intel has plenty of big separate businesses they can rely on for the foreseeable future, so i hope AMD is just very busy on RDNA2 and the console stuff more than they are willingly letting intel catch a break on consumer cpu stuff

16. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX1070 iChillx4
    Nothing official yet from AMD indeed.

Luc likes this.
  17. asturur

asturur Maha Guru

GPU:
    Geforce Gtx 1080TI
    It requires some skill to have a zen2 being 35% slower than a comparable intel cpu.

Luc likes this.
  18. Dribble

Dribble Master Guru

GPU:
    Geforce 1070
    I remember AMD delayed updating their A64 architecture updates because they were ahead of Intel at the time, and it was cheaper to just stick with what they had which was good enough ... until Intel dropped the Core 2 architecture on them which crushed anything AMD had. Took them till Ryzen to get competitive again.

19. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS R9 290
    No, it just takes some cherry-picked test results and willfully turning a blind eye to any time the results are flipped.

carnivore, Aura89 and Luc like this.
  20. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    I am going to be taking this with a grain of salt because we heard nothing official from AMD. Besides if this turns out to be true I think all hell is going to break loose because I willing to bet the b450 and x470 users are going to be upset because they will probably say AMD should have supported Zen3 from the get go or something like that.