AMD to launch Zen 4 and RDNA 3 both in Q4 2022

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jun 8, 2021.

1. HARDRESET

HARDRESET Master Guru

GPU:
    1080Ti / 290X CFX
    Content with my 5950X and Asus Dark Hero, plus my 1080Ti is more than enough

2. FookDat

FookDat Master Guru

GPU:
    6700XT Red Devil
    The solution to over priced hardware at the moment, play older games. There are plenty of AAA titles that are a few years old I can downloaded from my libraries of games and play them with no issues. No need to go spend 1000 - 2000 or more on a gpu when current hardware will play any of the older games just fine. I just reinstalled AC Origins and its great. I think its also really convenient how high prices all jumped right after USA got stimulus checks. Like oh your government gave you extra money, lets throw on an extra 1400$ per gpu then that will make up the difference. If prices keep going up then I wont have to worry about it anymore cause I will stop using computers. I can go to Hawaii from across the world for a week for LESS than the price of 1 GPU, think about that.

Maddness and cucaulay malkin like this.
  3. MonstroMart

MonstroMart Maha Guru

GPU:
    RX 6800 Red Dragon
    If they release Zen 4 by the end of 2022, i.e. 2 years after zen 3, then i would guess they will likely release zen 3+ in between.

4. MonstroMart

MonstroMart Maha Guru

GPU:
    RX 6800 Red Dragon
    It's very unlikely they spend 2 years without releasing any desktop cpu though. Also i doubt they would announce 3d cache now but release it only a year and a half later. 5000 with 3d cache the end of 2021 or early 2022 would not be surprising at all. It gives a chance to test it with proven hardware. Gather info to makes improvement for Zen 4 later in 2002.

Undying, Lily GFX and Kool64 like this.

5. Kaarme

Kaarme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 390
    If you own none, doesn't that mean you don't consider them worth the high price?

Yeah, I don't really blame them for it, it's just how it works and they have gamed the system. But I still think it's no good when the whole universe seems to be lacking chips. On the other hand, currently AMD or Nvidia didn't even have anything to make on the 5nm process. It's possible the process wasn't ready for high power chips back when they were making the decisions. Apple's M1 is still an ARM processor, which are low power.

I don't think TSMC is making the same mistake as GF and hesitating about investing in R&D. Of the big players, GF is the only one that mysteriously thought 7nm isn't worth it. I'm sure GF is running at full capacity as well, but they must be making integrated custom stuff that nobody ever hears about anymore. With or without Apple, TSMC would be pushing forward. But sure, Apple's money would help since it's willing to pay even more than others.

6. Kool64

Kool64 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX2070S
    not to mention it's a good send off party for AM4

Lily GFX likes this.
  7. JamesSneed

JamesSneed Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070
    My phones are on a 4 year upgrade cycle. Usually get a new battery at the 2 year mark. Has worked out just fine.

8. DeskStar

DeskStar Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 3080Ti/3090FTW
    Maybe just me, but the idea/talk of anything hardware wise releasing any time in the next two years just doesn't make me interested.....

Just the idea that parts will be non-existent as they are now gives me nothing to look forward to given current situations.

Solfaur likes this.
  9. MonstroMart

MonstroMart Maha Guru

GPU:
    RX 6800 Red Dragon
    It's just GPU though anyway in Canada it is. Outside of the 5950x you can currently buy all the Ryzen 5k cpu and Intel 11th at very close to MSRP in Canada.

DeskStar likes this.
  10. tty8k

tty8k Master Guru

GPU:
    Timing is great for a new platform, hopefully DDR5 will be available at higher freq by then.

I was looking at Intel's release at the end of this year but since ddr5 is still slow/new and there is no video card upgrades might as well wait another year for a more significant upgrade.

11. Kaleid

Kaleid Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3070 OC
    Won't jump on DDR5 bandwagon early on, but a new GPU would be nice. Hopefully the market has come back to normal by then.

12. Agonist

Agonist Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800XT 16GB
    I wish my 2700x was. I would have stayed with it. But I still dont regret getting an X570 and 5600x for $450 total.

Undying likes this.
  13. Reddoguk

Reddoguk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3090 GB GamingOC
    AM5 won't be long now. I'd expect it in early 2022 and it may have DDR5 and PCIe5 or it may not, DDR5 is a certain feature and a smaller node on the chipset might also be down to 5nm. Honestly though i doubt we'll see massive performance improvements from this point on. I think 7nm could be used for a lot longer than say 12nm was. I expect to see a 7nm refresh soon too, basically a 7nm++. PCIe 4 is still pretty new and probably under used. I don't see a difference between PCIe 4 and 5 really so is it worth it. There's not much difference in PCIe 3 and 4 already anyway.

14. mtbiker033

mtbiker033 Member

GPU:
    1080ti FE
    does nvidia have to get behind apple in line too? lol that is crazy...but apple has many, many problems I'm sure but money ain't one of them

15. kakiharaFRS

kakiharaFRS Master Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 RTX 3090
    yes because releasing 40 products in 4 weeks worked so well in 2020..oh wait no it didn't

16. coth

coth Master Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 2060 Super EX
    We still waiting for RDNA 2 launch.

17. mikeysg

mikeysg Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro+ RX 6900 XT
    A 5000 (5900/5950) series CPU with 3d cache at the end of the year looks like my next upgrade, I don't think I''ll be making the leap to AM5 anytime soon. Just like my move to Ryzen, I'd waited till after two iterations of the architecture with greater maturity of chipset drivers and BIOS before I'd made the move.

Meanwhile, IF FSR bring good uplift in performance with some but acceptable image quality drop especially with RT enabled, I'd be hanging on to my RX 6900 XT. For regular rasterized games, the RX 6900 XT doesn't need FSR as it's a beast, plus I game at exactly 1/2 4K so that helps a lot.

Godhand007 and Maddness like this.
  18. Solfaur

Solfaur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 3080Ti Gaming OC
    Same here, I look forward to a 5950XT or whatever they will call it, that I can just pop in to replace my 3900X. Of course availability plays a big role here, so I hope they won't rush it while the shortages are still strong.

19. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus RX580 XTR 8GB
    That is just not worth it at this point. You'd better wait for zen4.

Solfaur likes this.
  20. Venix

Venix Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Palit 1060 6gb
    My speculation is that they will release a 6xxx series cpu line or just few models with stacked memory on top at least some models .
    But if they do i wonder how thermals will be i mean they will go up .... Right ? If they go up this will affect the final frequency too no ?