AMD to launch 12nm Ryzen in February

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Sep 27, 2017.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    AMD spoke with its partners and plans to launch in February 2018 an upgrade version of its Ryzen series processors built using a 12nm low-power (12LP) process at Globalfoundries....

AMD to launch 12nm Ryzen in February

2. RonanH

RonanH Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1070
    Is this the same as the "February" this year when Vega was to be launched?

3. Embra

Embra Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Red Devil 6950 XT
    Those numbers could have been a lot better if they could have managed to keep the 580 & 570 in stock.

4. nz3777

nz3777 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gtx 980 Radeon 5500
    Id like to see Ryzen that can overclock to 5ghz, then we can call it a victory.

5. mameira

mameira Guest

GPU:
    eVGA 470 GTX
    Silva likes this.
  6. Silva

Silva Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual RX580 O4G
    Troll much? AMD CPU division is different from GPU. This is the same Zen chip but fabbed on a new 12nm node, thus dependent on availability by GF and not AMD themselves.
    I would have bought a RX570 if in stock at MSRP. I did get a RX560 anyway though.
    Clockspeed race is over 10 years ago. Boosting clocks high turns down efficiency and life expectancy. Also, applications where clock speed is important are dying each day, we are moving forward to core count (finally).

Current Ryzen chips are fabbed at 14nm, I doubt the difference will be of significance just with the improved fabbing process alone. I do hope they get better yields and more consistency so the cheaper SKUs can clock higher.

cryohellinc likes this.
  7. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6750XT/ MAC M1
    And that will be my next upgrade. Looking forward to it!

Silva likes this.
  8. 4KShmoork

4KShmoork Guest

GPU:
    1080 Ti Extreme
    I disagree that the clock speed race is over. In fact if 12nm allows Ryzen to maintain 4.5GHz on all 8c, AMD will finally steal a significant portion of the high perf/enthusiast market away from Intel. Single core perf and clock speeds are the only factors holding back gamers/enthusiasts from switching over IMO.

Even if chip prices are comparable to intels; if the performance is there some enthusiasts will pivot to AMD because everyone loves an underdog (myself included).

9. RzrTrek

RzrTrek Guest

GPU:
    -
    +10% performance gain over Ryzen or am I reading it wrong?

10. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6750XT/ MAC M1
    Not exactly, 10% gain over other 16nm solutions. Quite a vague statement if you ask me, so it can be assumed both against current Ryzen and/or Intel.

Silva likes this.

11. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    Did you see that latest roadmap? Vega 20 is Q3 2018, same as Vega 10 was Q2 2017.
    Remember Zen shipping in large volume in Q3 2016 and Raven Ridge "somwhere in 2017"?

These are not examples of three year roadmaps slipping one quarter. But AMD execs saying we're shipping next quarter when it's obvious its not going to happen.
    OTOH OP news is coming from motherboard makers, not from AMD, so it could very well be true :)

I am ready for AMD's HTC, I already went with Samsung for 2-in-1 laptop.

12. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    Hmm I wasn't expecting this so soon. That's good news, though, if it remains to be true. I kind of wonder what they're going to be calling the new products, though. They've already been using X suffixes and unless it's more than just a die shrink (and a couple bug fixes - there have been some stability issues in the early Ryzen models), I don't feel it warrants bumping up to the 2000 series.

To be fair, 4GHz is a little under-whelming for an overclock. If Ryzen was limited to 4.5Ghz I don't think people would be complaining much, because at least then it'd make the 7700K a much tougher sell. There are still a lot of tasks out there that depend more on Ghz than cores.

That being said, I hope AMD figured out a way to get higher clocks with this new node. It'll help them a lot.

13. Emille

Emille Guest

GPU:
    1080 Ti Aorus Extreme
    Imagine if they made a 10 core 12nm threadripper that could do 4.5ghz.

Add it higher memory speed compatibility and bam.

14. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    I'm not sure they will ever release a 10-core TR; it seems they can only be in multiples of 4 (due to the architecture design). That being said, a 4.5GHz 12 core ought to be sustainable on liquid cooling and would offer some pretty nice numbers for a [presumably] good price.

15. Evildead666

Evildead666 Guest

GPU:
    Vega64/EKWB/Noctua
    I would expect them to hit the wall at about 4.4 or 4.5GHZ, which is still very good.
    I'm happy I didn't go all out on a new CPU, might get the Ryzen refresh....

Silva likes this.

16. Ricepudding

Ricepudding Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    I disagree, although as a whole the clockspeed race is primary over, we still need a higher clock speed for many applications. cores are great but are worthless if they don't clock very high. Fact is many programs still prefer and want high clock speeds, this might see a rapid change with everyone now getting more cores in their system but least this is the way it is right now. it's why the 7700k performs so well even with only 4 cores

These chips should hit 4.4ghz, unless they are going to hit the same 4.1ghz of the current Ryzen, which even with an IPC increase won't be that incredible sadly. Zen 2 i hear is meant to be aiming for 5GHz and this is where we would see massive gains. 6/8 cores running at 4.8-5GHz would perform amazingly. Sadly i feel this jump might be more of a sandy bridge to ivy bridge kind of leap, where the performance increase will be quite small... Still time will tell, if they are able to increase IPC and push clock speeds a little then the jump should be a fairly nice amount

airbud7 likes this.
  17. BLEH!

BLEH! Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury
    I'm waiting on Raven Ridge to replace my backup Kaveri rig.

18. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    I'd say it's a mix of needing higher clocks, but also these cores need to be efficient as well.

While I would love an AMD chip at 5ghz, if the IPC say at(And I know this wouldn't happen) 4ghz matches the IPC performance of a counter Intel chip at 5ghz, well I'll take it.

airbud7 and Ricepudding like this.
  19. Ricepudding

Ricepudding Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Yeah i agree a mix is far better than one or the other...

IPC wise AMD is always going to be behind intel, that being said ryzen caught up to around 5-10% so who knows maybe Zen2 matches are beats intel. that will be interesting to find out in 2019/2020... long time to wait for someone like me though :p

Ryzen refresh will be interesting however, i think the biggest issue Ryzen had was its max clock speed wall, if they can improve that then i would be very interested to see the results. just hopefully they do come February as i do not want to wait much longer for a new system

airbud7 likes this.
  20. jose2016

jose2016 Member Guru

GPU:
    Aorus RX 580 8gb
    Will the current motherboards serve?