AMD to Give 20 nm Optical Shrinks to Console SoCs First

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Rich_Guy, Nov 3, 2014.

1. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    Yeah I know that in order to have a game at a constant frame rate such as 60 fps you will have to downgrade either resolution, Visual graphics or both of them if the system can't handle it.

2. Stormyandcold

Stormyandcold Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX1070 GamingX
    Well, regarding these die-shrink "updates", I think they should make them more powerful. Look at the ios platform as an example with Beach Buggy Blitz/Racing; this game works the same across multiple generations of ipad, but, the game also has resolution and some graphics options.

There is no reason why this can't be implemented on consoles like the X1 and PS4. The feature that makes the most sense to add is obvious...resolution options. There doesn't need to be a lot of options like on PC at all. The game merely detects the model of console and a new resolution option is then made available. Things like fps need not change...simplifying the extra work needed. To simplify thing's even further, there need only be 2 resolution options; normal and full-hd.

Ofcourse, these consoles would need a relatively substantial upgrade to make this feasible and performance isn't going to be the same across all types of games.

3. IcE

IcE Don Snow Staff Member

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1070 Mini
    That's because each generation of Ipad had better hardware. A die shrink doesn't automatically make the hardware faster. It just means you can get the same performance with less silicon. If anything, AMD is using their console chips to get their new fab process rolling at full speed for their next generation of PC graphics cards to benefit from. It will also ultimately cost less to manufacture the chips too.

4. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    Even at TSMC's ideal case scenario, shrink will only bring you 30% bigger clocks t the same power envelope.
    Which ideally would mean 30% more rendering power, equating to 30% pixel increase.

So you would get pathetic resolution increase 1280x720 -> 1459x820 .
    Congrats you are now less than 1/3 on your way to fullHD, still more than 2/3 left to go.
    And again this is HIGHLY idealistic shrink.

5. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070 FTW
    Not what I'm saying, sorry to have misled you unintentionally.

What I'm saying is they are pushing BS filler GFX which no one cares about, whilst gamers want games to have a resolution and frame rate which fits their $2000 teevee.

Style over substance.

It's a combination of marketing departments controlling publishers and therefore developers, trying to graphically out-do your competitor (if there should even be such a thing in the creative world) and all sorts of other stuff which have no place at all in games development. Especially ego.

X360 and PS3 had 'outdated graphics' for the last 8 years of their lifecycle, but somehow (sarcasm) managed to make billions of dollars a year in games revenue.

This is fact. It is indisputable. Only problem is, gamers get brainwashed into thinking graphics are king and that games should be more like movies which is total and utter rubbish. Well, it slightly backfired with the PS4 and Xboner, didn't it?

Everyone expected the following from this current generation of consoles:

1080P
    60FPS
    Quality Build
    Quality Service

There isn't a person in these forums who expected them to release a 720P console, let alone a console which can do 1080P and 60FPS but because of BS reasons developers make graphics their focus (something no one cares about) and manufacturers make 720/30 a minimum requirement.

These consoles can deliver games at 1080P and 60FPS - the 'hit' to the eyes is meaningless and has no place in any logical construct when talking about creativity.

Analogy: If graphics were really important, then Microsoft would not have bought Minecraft for $2.5 billion

Irony: Company who says graphics are important over resolution and frame-rate buys a game which has zero graphics but very high resolution and frame-rate.

6. Andrew LB

Andrew LB Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080@2,025
    No they won't because those are likely for yield purposes so that the number of successful GPUs being manufactured is higher. Not all PS4's will have all 128 extra cores in a working state so unlcoking them would give benefits only to some and thus this will never be done. Chances are they were laser cut and couldn't be used anyway.

7. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    Honestly if the One goes any cheaper I might consider buying one, if I didn't have a PS4 already...:D

But it's good that there's a die shrink coming, Microsoft needs this to sell the One at a lower price and actually remain competitive in pricing.

8. Stormyandcold

GPU:
    MSI GTX1070 GamingX
    Ofcourse. I did say they would need substantial upgrades to make it feasible. Going by what you calculated though...the argument would be whether 1459x820 looks better on a full-hd screen with their upscaling as this is a non-standard resolution. Also, since this is consoles we're talking about, I'm sure users would appreciate this "minor" upgrade more than us pc gamers. :)

One scenario though is perhaps games capped at 30fps that were hitting 50fps at 1280x720 could still run at 30fps at that new resolution or higher?

My 2nd scenario is extra graphics option while keeping resolution and fps the same?

I'm sure devs would find some way to use the extra power. Even if no additional options were added, some games at least would benefit by being just that little bit smoother.

9. Redemption80

Redemption80 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    I think most devs would hate the idea, it's extra work for something that would not be available to the majority of people.

Nearly everyone i speaks to wants more effects and 1080/30 on the present hardware, no one wants to buy a new console already or feel like they now have the budget version.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2014
  10. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    To me Id say give it couple of years. It takes time for developers to learn how to optimize the console's hardware fully. I mean look how long it took developers to optimize the PS3's hardware properly.

11. Stormyandcold

GPU:
    MSI GTX1070 GamingX
    The PS3's hardware took a long-time to understand due to it's multicore setup which was new for many devs. Even the x360 triple-core + gpu setup took years to fully utilize.

The hardware that x1 and ps4 are built-on on the other hand is well understood. That's why multi-platform releases are easier now because there are more similarities between all 3 formats (x1, p4 and PC) than differences.

I don't expect the same huge differences between first-gen PS3 and current-gen PS3 games with this generation of consoles. I also think any advancements in optimization will more easily benefit the PC versions.

12. EspHack

EspHack Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATI/HD5770/1GB
    the console market needs a serious redesign, yes I would love to see games requiring the xbox one 2015 to run at 1080p, or at least introduce SSDs that's already possible with some hardware 'hacks' and brings a pretty substantial boost to loading times, it could be a great place to start shifting the current strategy, next would be a little GPU boost to "unlock" a 60fps option, no need for devs to do anything(at least not yet)

13. Redemption80

Redemption80 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    That is stuff that increases the price of each console, and the "perceived" benefit to most people is small.

SSD's would be nice now that prices are more reasonable, i don't know how many games benefit from one though, i saw no difference myself but when i gave the wife my SSD for her laptop, The Sims 3 improved alot.

Alot of people i know have hybrid drives for their PS4.

14. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    I agree that they should add SSDs as an option or make another version of the console that has an SSD in it. That would decrease the load times.

Also I think certain console fans had way too high expectations for these consoles because they forgot how long it took developers to utilize the hardware of both the Xbox360 and PS3 and I think the same thing applies to the PS4 and Xbox-one different hardware yet again. However since is based off of x86-64 PC architecture it may take less time for developers to fully utilize the console's hardware.

15. Megabiv

Megabiv Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX980Ti SLI (h²o)
    This, been the same since I can remember. Look at any previous consoles "series" such as the original Sonic to Sonic3/Sonic & Knuckles. It's leaps and bounds better visually, and the same goes for games on the original PS, Xbox, N64. Most of these games out now have been in development with dev standard hardware which could well be less powerful or unconfirmed for the actual console release last year. As the time progresses the hardware stays the same but the visual fidelity improves ala Xbox 360, those release games were god awful then but it produced some pretty attractive titles near the end with the same hardware used for 8 years.

Spin 2/3 years from now and the games will be wiping the floor with these current titles.

Here is a good example (while probably not 100% accurate it's good for showing my point above).

16. INSTG8R

INSTG8R Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro+ 5700XT
    My thoughts on this exactly.