AMD to Give 20 nm Optical Shrinks to Console SoCs First

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Rich_Guy, Nov 3, 2014.

1. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    Source :- http://www.techpowerup.com/206857/amd-to-give-20-nm-optical-shrinks-to-console-socs-first.html

2. CalculuS

CalculuS Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1660Ti
    8GB Unified RAM?

Seems awful impractical in theory.

3. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    Or why not make them stronger at same heat/power,

add more gpu streaming processors and maybe higher frequency for both gpu and cpu.

4. scipio

scipio Guest

GPU:
    Evga 1080 gaming
    This

5. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    Because at this point of TSMC's 20nm it's questionable whether the mere shrink is more profitable than 28nm.
    I'd guess it's not, and adding more fluff means adding more cost.

Because they've never done it, and instead shrink has always been used to cut BoM, power and increase margins.

And because that would brake concept of targeting one single hw/performance, and would introduce concept of 1st and 2nd rate console users.

6. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Yeah, both want to either increase profits or reduce the prices of the console, not increase it.

Creating 1st and 2nd rate console users would anger alot of people, while also making developers jobs a little bit more difficult at the same time.

7. scipio

scipio Guest

GPU:
    Evga 1080 gaming
    Well maybe Microsoft should focus on better performance since they obviously have a sales problem

8. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Honestly most people I've talked too with both consoles prefer the Xbox One due to the media capabilities/kinect voice. A lot of my friends with the One bought it to play games but end up using it as an entire home entertainment system after seeing how good it functions as that. I just think Microsoft has a hard time selling that over superior graphics capability.

9. Darkest

Darkest Guest

GPU:
    3060ti Vision OC V2
    It's the other way around with people I know, that said most people I know are already running HTPC's.

10. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Not surprised by this. That's where AMDs money is made, I guess.

11. Avalanche

Avalanche Member

GPU:
    PNY GTX 1080
    8GB of GDDR5. Considering it's an APU, which means the CPU and GPU are on the same chip, it's actually a sweet setup. GDDR5 is a lot faster than DDR3, which benefits the CPU side.

Because you don't change console specs without launching a new console. You can't just release a new game and put on the box: "1080p for this game is only available on XBOX ver 2015 or newer". It could also create a lot of bugs, because console games are coded much closer to metal than PC games.

12. Hughesy

Hughesy Guest

GPU:
    MSI Twin Frozr 980
    I'm the same, I have both but prefer my Xbox One. If I want the best graphics I use my PC, both consoles are so close in terms of performance and both are pretty weak. It's just something console owners like to fight about, it's funny though as before this gen they would always say towards PC gamers "graphics don't matter" I just enjoy playing games, especially now I'm pretty immobile.

13. Doesn't the PS4 already have 8GB of unified GDDR5? Hopefully they don't increase it to what 12-16GB because its not needed and simply a waste of cost. Also so developers stop embarrassing themselves and their work by quoting lazy 8GB VRAM/system RAM requirements for PC ports.

I'd rather see a bump in CPU/GPU performance for the consoles so idiots like Ubisoft can stop gimping PC ports for its parity and 30fps nonsense.

14. vazup

vazup Guest

GPU:
    r9 280X
    "I'd rather see a bump in CPU/GPU performance for the consoles so idiots like Ubisoft can stop gimping PC ports for its parity and 30fps nonsense." that would be a very stupid move either from Sony or MS to boost performance on never models.

15. fusion

fusion Guest

GPU:
    6850hd radeon / 1GB
    But how long time it even hits the market? These consoles haven't been out that long and already they're getting a die shrink. I wonder what premiums Microsoft had to pay to get first dibs on the die shrink though.

16. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    I guess those consoles will still be in use for another two or three years... the last consoles feel like they've just been released!

17. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    AMD decision shows integrity and that someone with brain makes decisions there.

Dumb idea to make consoles even 10% more powerful by HW changes. It could even destroy entire console market as it attacks ideology behind gaming consoles.

18. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS R9 290
    I agree. The die shrink alone could possibly offer a tiny bump in performance anyway. I think it's much better to let the system run cooler and quieter.

A lot of people may think the APU chosen for the consoles is bad, but it really isn't. A lot of PC gamers tend to forget that games are supposed to be micro-optimized. Look at a game like Resident Evil 4 for gamecube - that game STILL looks pretty decent and that ran smooth on a system that had system specs so bad that if it could run x86 software, it wouldn't even be able to handle Windows XP SP3.

Developers are getting insanely lazy these days. There is no excuse for 30FPS or 720P resolutions on these new consoles. There has never been a console that wasn't under-powered at release, yet all consoles in the past have done a great job at playing very complex and detailed games.

19. Black_ice_Spain

Black_ice_Spain Guest

GPU:
    5700XT
    because the point of consoles is to have a unique device with a single architecture and the same execution capabilities.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2014
  20. kenoh

kenoh Active Member

GPU:
    TitanXP 2.1GHz
    Maybe with this die shrink SONY can fully unlock all the stream processors on the PS4, while keeping heat to a minimum and maybe even increase the CPU speed like MS did for the Xbone, so it can run all games in Med/High settings in 1080p@60fps.