AMD to Drop Support for Pre-HD 5000 GPUs with Catalyst 12.7.

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by TheDeeGee, Apr 21, 2012.

1. ---TK---

---TK--- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    Its states the drivers are an unlikely cause in most cases. Pay attention Einstein.

2. Xzibit

Xzibit Banned

GPU:
    7970 Windforce
    OK Sherlock [​IMG]

3. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX5700
    I really don't see what the issue is unless you're using one of the affected cards. I also don't see what's so hard about saving $10-$20 a month and upgrading every 3-4 years, but that's just me.

4. The Postman

The Postman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 980 TI Gaming
    You clearly cant read that this is not official from AMD. Until there is no an statement from AMD, this is all just speculation.

If they indeed drop monthly driver support for older cards, I really hope they keep the support through legacy support. I do have one 4890 but I am not sure if even new drivers could provide a performance boost in newer games.

@DSparil Check again because it is not from AMD itself.

5. Yxskaft

Yxskaft Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX Titan Sli
    Why upgrade if it isn't needed? As long as you don't intend to push all settings up to the highest, at least the HD4000 series is still good enough for all games right now
    Believe it or not, but not all people feel miserable if they can't max out Battlefield 3 at 1080p and higher with a smooth framerate

And from a consumer's point of view, does it look good to you that they end their support for older series so quickly?

6. perosmct

perosmct Banned

GPU:
    unknown
    let's be honest and serious here...we are gurus...no user with hd2000,hd3000,hd4000 needs a driver...he has a legacy card...he will play what he can...he does not need any driver...

why is this important...what he would win with a driver...enough...only dx11 with shader model 5 card users need a proper driver, they are the future...they can win something with new driver...

everyone who support his opinion of non-importance on upgrading...he must support the reality of not having any newer driver...he is not a gamer at all...

7. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX5700
    I don't see an issue with dropping support for hardware after 4 years. Of course, if the hardware makers would support their own products, this wouldn't be an issue. It makes no sense for companies like MSI, Asus, Gigabyte, Sapphire, etc to sell a device, but offer little or no support for the product themselves.

8. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    They are not dropping support, as i posted earlier, they are moving them to legacy, and they will also be supported in Windows 8.

9. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    Moving them to legacy means no new features will be provided, and that AMD may, or may not include Windows critical fixes in future driver updates.

For Linux, not even that.

You'll be lucky to be able to download ancient driver and use it with old kernel/X.org.

10. DethZero

DethZero Active Member

GPU:
    EVGA 1080Ti SC2
    Cool, right now I have a HD4850 and after reading some reviews, I'm thinking of getting the HD7870 gigabyte oc version in a couple of days. This reinforces the idea that if something of mine goes into legacy... time to upgrade LOL.

11. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 2080 Dual OC
    Clarification from AMD:

12. Year

Year Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 690
    not bad at all, in general nvidia releases drivers once every couple of month (although if we're lucky we get betas every couple of weeks), so if Amd release drivers for legacy cards on a quarterly basis it wouldn't really affect users all that much.

it's a good decision, concentrate time and effort on improving the latest cards in order to play the latest games etc.

fair enough i guess.

i wish nvidia would release official drivers on a monthly basis.

13. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX1070 iChillx4
    hmm on qualterly basis is still support. though i feel sorry for people with CFX systems who will obviously run into problems.

14. Mikedogg

Mikedogg Banned

GPU:
    Radeon HD 4650M 1GB
    Clarification from AMD:

Quote:
    AMD will be moving the AMD Radeon™ HD 2000, AMD Radeon HD 3000, and AMD Radeon HD 4000 Series of products to a new driver support model. We will continue to support the mentioned products in our Catalyst releases, but we’re moving their updates to a quarterly basis, whereas our AMD Radeon HD 5000 and later products will continue to see monthly updates. The Quarterly Catalyst releases will focus on resolving application specific issues and critical updates. The reason for the shift in support policy is largely due to the fact that the AMD Radeon HD 2000, AMD Radeon HD 3000, and AMD Radeon HD 4000 Series have been optimized to their maximum potential from a performance and feature perspective. The 8.97 based driver, released in May 2012 will be the first driver for the AMD Radeon HD 2000, AMD Radeon HD 3000, and AMD Radeon HD 4000 Series under the new support model; it is an extremely stable and robust driver branch for these products and will be the baseline for our quarterly updates.

Our main development and testing efforts will now be focused on the AMD Radeon™ HD 5000 and later products. This is the best use of our resources, as the AMD Radeon HD 5000, AMD Radeon HD 6000, AMD Radeon HD 7000, and future products have the greatest potential for further performance and feature enhancements.

Also with regards to Windows 8 support for the AMD Radeon™ HD 2000, 3000, 4000 Series of products; the In-the-box AMD Graphics driver that ships with Windows 8 will include support for the AMD Radeon HD 2000, 3000, and 4000 Series, and it will support the WDDM 1.1 driver level features. The AMD Catalyst driver for Windows 8 will only include support for WDDM 1.2 support products (AMD Radeon HD 5000 and later).

http://www.anandtech.com/show/5775/a...-status-in-may

Farking bullsh!t. If that's the case, I wouldn't be experiencing fps lockups and micro-stuttering in many of my games, compared to my desktop counterpart the "Geforce 8600GT."
    And whats this about maxed out feature support? Christ! (I bet they spit little poo particles every time they talk).

AMD are just arse hurt that they cant even produce decent drivers for single GPU solutions.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2012
  15. airbud7

airbud7 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    pny gtx 1060 xlr8
    Can't wait to here the 5000 Card owners next year.........What....No driver......

16. Ryu5uzaku

Ryu5uzaku Ancient Guru

GPU:
    5700 XT UV 1950~
    they ain't dropping the darn support totally just concentrating on newer stuff more.

17. oMVo

oMVo Member Guru

GPU:
    Radeon HD 6970
    seriously, what changes do you expect from your 4000 series card that you need monthly driver releases? AMD said it will move to a quarterly update cadence, and not drop support. please people.

18. Yxskaft

Yxskaft Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX Titan Sli
    They say that the quarterly updates will be for bug fixes...So no new features will be added...Nvidia still supports and introduces new features in their cards from the same generation however

Also, going by history, the Legacy support won't be for long

19. Year

Year Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 690
    ati drivers improved tremendously over the years tbh.

my main problem with amd/ati is the fact they seem to be suffering from quality control issues, the fans on their cards seem to just die too soon (sometimes they're doa out of the box!) happened to me, i exchanged a card because the fan was dead, the new card arrived, sealed and all, the fan was dead too, both cards were made by Ati, they weren't branded (eg. gigabyte/msi/etc), the card was the "Radeon DDR Vivo" around year 2001-2002 or so.

then i got a 8500 64mb, 9700 pro and X850XT, the fan died exactly 4 month from purchase, all 3 cards, how is that even possible? they set a timer or something? :grin:

then i got a 4970 x2, a fantastic card, this worked for 1.5 years like a champ.

last card was the 5970, the card died 3 month later, fried, it wasn't o/c or anything, furmark killed it. :rolleyes:

that's too bad cause ati/amd hardware is really 2nd to none performance wise, or maybe i was unlucky, who knows lol

20. tamzid

tamzid Master Guru

GPU:
    His iceq4 turbo 4850 512
    if i have good drivers every three months for my 4850 ... i will be more than happy... and for the games that are being released in the meantime....is it possible that all i will need is an update of appprofile to run the game?????.. maybe not fully optimized for my card but just enough??