AMD Talks RX 5700 Temps And Max Boost on Their Blog

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Aug 13, 2019.

1. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 2080 Dual OC
    Its clearly implied when he mentioned 'auto boost turns down' at 50-55c (as if its a flaw). He then gives a 2080ti clocks/temp chart that shows clocks going down as temp rises. Well whoopy do. All known benchmarks indicate the card performs well and above anything else on the GPU market. The cards main appeal (and the 1080ti) is the fantastic performance it offers, despite any boost/temp behavior. So whats the point in him mentioning it, other than obfuscation?

Last edited: Aug 14, 2019
  2. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX5700
    What's the point in posting in a thread regarding a product you have no interest in, just to tell people you have no interest in it? If you think a product is crap, why do you need to try to convince everyone else it's crap? I'm not accusing YOU of doing those things, but it's become far too common on every forum I'm a member of.

Pointing out that the boost clock is reduced, doesn't imply that performance is compromised. Would the card perform better if the boost clock wasn't reduced? Of course it would. However, the card performs exactly as it was intended to. Same as the GTX970 did, even after it was found that 0.5GB of VRAM was essentially gimped. Do we buy new graphics cards based on the actual performance, or the performance it could potentially have if it wasn't affected by something that may be potentially undesirable? The performance of the 1080Ti isn't "compromised" in any way. It performs and functions exactly as intended. Saying it's performance is "compromised" is like saying that it performs contrary to how NVidia intended.

Some people look for conflict where none should exist. If someone is flamebaiting.....and it's always obvious.....ignore them. Don't respond to the trolls.

Aura89, anticupidon and Evildead666 like this.
  3. Fox2232

Fox2232 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    5700XT+AW@240Hz
    What's the point? Was your post a very bad joke? I mean, you have card that eats over 300W under stock conditions and manages 340W just by moving power limit up w/o any clock increase.

And it was not taken as personal by me. I saw it only as highly hypocritical. But it surely looks like you felt it that way, now.

4. jura11

jura11 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX1080 Ti 1080 FE
    This should help

[​IMG]

Similarly it applies too to Turing GPUs as well, every 10°C or less you will loose 15MHz, in my case if temperatures are higher than 38-42°C you will loose 15MHz this I can only confirm

If these extra 15MHz does make any difference, I would say no

Hope this helps

Thanks, Jura

airbud7 and Undying like this.

5. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 2080 Dual OC
    Who says I have no interest in it? Where did I say I have no interest in it? Not ultimately buying it doesnt mean I have no interest in it. Do I think its crap? Not necessarily. Many people seem to be happy with their AMD cards, so I must assume they are generally decent cards. You say "I'm not accusing YOU of doing those things" but when you quote and address me with you in the preceding sentences, then it does appear you are accusing me (whether intentionally or not). But since you are not accusing then you are addressing me, hence my response. I would suggest not to jump into presumptuous positions just because something others say may trigger you. It can cloud ones perceptions.

Thanks for the advice. ;)

6. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 2080 Dual OC
    Thanks Jura. I think we all knew boost behavior is linked to temps, just not that it engaged so early. But all that is meaningless when we are looking at benchmarks (which already include the effect of boost and downclocks) and are the basis of reviews and our buying decisions.

7. Fox2232

Fox2232 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    5700XT+AW@240Hz
    Benchmarks are not exactly accurate in that. Often run on open bench and in short burst.
    Actual temperature & performance when card is inside of case and one actually plays for over 30 minutes is going to be different.
    Then there is chance that given computer does not have all fan slots used and airflow is not exactly good.

In such cases even reference blower can prove to be much better than AIB's custom card.

8. Silva

Silva Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX560 4G
    Quote: AMD mentions that 110 °C hotspot temperatures under "typical gaming usage" are "expected and within spec."

What a load of BS.

9. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    RTX 2070FE
    Why not? Radeon VII's junction temp was 110c and worked okay.

10. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX5700
    By quoting your post and replying to it, I am addressing you directly. However, my statements were generalized and not an attack on you or in any way implying that you participate in such behavior.

In the interest of limiting off-topic posts, I'll finish my response in a PM....

11. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 7970 Quadrobake
    I think a lot of fuzz over pretty much nothing is made here. 7nm means much less surface for heat to dissipate, but it also seems that AMD GPUs are made in a way to be tolerant to that.

I don't think we'll see much different when Nvidia releases their 7nm designs, or even with Intel's 10nm (if it will ever properly release on desktop).

HandR and Maddness like this.
  12. TLD LARS

TLD LARS Member Guru

GPU:
    Vega 64
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The 7nm process does not directly dictate the max operating temperature.

Quote from Nvidia support 2010:
    "NVIDIA GPUs are designed to operate reliably up to their maximum specified operating temperature. This maximum temperature varies by GPU, but is generally in the 105C range (refer to the nvidia.com product page for individual GPU specifications). If a GPU hits the maximum temperature, the driver will throttle down performance to attempt to bring temperature back underneath the maximum specification."
    From https://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/ans...maximum-operating-temperature-and-overheating

This proves that pushing GPUes past 100 degrees is not a new thing and not AMD only.

13. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    105c is not the throttle point in nvidia's modern gpus, it is the point the driver resets and kills the cause of the load.

that article refers to fermi days.

alanm likes this.
  14. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 2080 Dual OC
    I think its 89c with 2080ti.

15. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    last i checked it was 95c when the fans kick right up.