AMD Takes good CPU Share from Intel in Q2 2017

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jul 3, 2017.

1. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX5700
    These results mean nothing in regards to actual market share. It's based solely on people submitting benchmark results. All it shows is that more people are submitting benchmark results for AMD hardware now, than they were last quarter....or fewer Intel users are submitting results. Considering how long the current Intel hardware has been available, it's not inconceivable to believe that submissions from Intel users has simply dropped off.

2. Exascale

Exascale Banned

GPU:
    Gigabyte G1 1070
    Because x299 is a better deal when its not melting itself?

3. Exascale

Exascale Banned

GPU:
    Gigabyte G1 1070
    Lol, it doesnt take a rocket scientist to realize that a lot of the most computer savvy users opt out for privacy reasons.

4. Exascale

Exascale Banned

GPU:
    Gigabyte G1 1070
    Some of us like to own our things. Cloud gaming will be another economically destructive, anti-consumer(but uninformed will think its a pro-consumer) thing, just like Amazon is.

Consumers often think theyre getting some luxurious new tech, but theyre being fooled into giving up more and more until they are renting everything they use and become enslaved by debt. Its great for the CEO, shareholders and banks. Not good for the consumer. Its a race to the bottom mentality, and most of the people who would consider it are unaware of what "the cloud" even is.

5. Fox2232

Fox2232 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    5700XT+AW@240Hz
    Last week I finally got steam HW survey after so many years of ignoring me.
    My Fury X and 2 new SSDs are finally accounted for. :D

Now I can get something new, to have it ignored for another 4~5 years.

6. Ryu5uzaku

Ryu5uzaku Ancient Guru

GPU:
    I haven't done one in few years. Last time I did it I had 0 ssd's, 290x, 3770k and something like that.

7. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080Ti @h2o
    I don't think I got a steam hardware survey request since 2010 or so.

8. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 7970 Quadrobake
    You're most likely correct, those 64-PCIe lanes and the 4094-pin slot won't be cheap. On the other hand, AMD is talking constantly about a lower total cost of ownership with EPYC and TR, and X299 seems to be a difficult platform to build for as a motherboard manufacturer, just by the sheer amount of features you have to have toggles for (it goes from 16x PCIe lanes up to 44, and from dual channel memory to quad, and then you have the RAID silliness on top).

TR boards might be more expensive material wise, they seem more straightforward construction/maintenance wise. We'll see. I too believe they'll be a bit more expensive than the X299 boards, although some might not even have a chipset.