AMD Starts Sampling 4-core RYZEN processors

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jan 12, 2017.

1. Amx85

Amx85 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI R7-260X2GD5/OC
    Up to 8 native...

2 from CPU
    4 from chipset
    Aldo 2 extra/SATAe from chipset

2. k3vst3r

k3vst3r Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800XT X TRIO
    native means without 3rd party chipset

3. Amx85

Amx85 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI R7-260X2GD5/OC
    i never said that 8 SATA ports outs from a Third Party Chipset... 2 from CPU, 4 from x370 Chipset, 2 More (configurable) eSATA/M.2 from x370 Chipset, see the slides... :infinity:

Last edited: Jan 24, 2017
  4. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    I'm not sure what you mean. He is talking about native, so why would you state what you did?

Ryzen + X370 chipset, provides, NATIVELY:

2 SATA from CPU
    4 SATA from Chipset
    2 SATAe from chipset

Nothing about 3rd part chipsets.

5. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX5700
    AMD isn't just coming into the market. They have been in the market for several decades already. They can't release an 8c/16t processor at $250 and stay in business. Releasing such a processor at $500 is perfectly fine so long as the performance can justify the price. Due to core count, people will compare it to Intel's 8c/16t processors that are priced considerably higher.

Most of Intel's chipsets only support 2-6 SATA ports natively. You have to move towards their "extreme" or commercial products to get more ports.

Those motherboards use 3rd party SATA controllers.... Or again, move towards their "extreme" or commercial products to get that many ports.

6. fry178

fry178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080S WaterForceWB
    @sykozis
    couple of problems with your assumption:
    just because porsche/lambo can charge +100K for their cars,
    doesn't mean other brands that have a car with similar performance (e.g. GTR) will be able to charge the same.

or:
    -how many ppl do you know, that had the money for a 1080, but bought a 480 (for gaming on single card)...
    -anyone that can spend 500-1000$ on a cpu, probably already has one, and i don't see them selling their rig, just to switch amd.
    -now the main market will not pay more than around 300-350 for a "top" cpu.
    (which is also what i'm willing to spend, so its either a intel 6C, amd 8C, or 6C to save money).
    -almost all (unconfirmed) price leaks show the 8/16 cpu to be around 350$, maybe they can charge 500$ for top binned/special clocked ones.

just some basic number play:
    lets assume 1M ppl will buy a +500$ amd, i "get" 500.000.000$.
    with 10M buying a 300$ cpu, i'm looking at 3.000.000.000$.
    not even talking about lower production cost over time, meaning higher profit.

besides all that, even when looking at a 20% share of the cpu market,
    amd still has to sell 5 times more, to be on par with intel.
    not sure how that will happen when its 8C is above 350$.

7. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    This fits me perfectly, and i would definitely not buy an intel CPU, especially with how ridiculously expensive they are. So since this fits me perfectly, am i no one?

8. fry178

fry178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080S WaterForceWB
    the magic word: PROBABLY.
    and i meant that anyone that ALREADY has a 8-10C intel, will most likely NOT buy a 6-8C amd.
    i know lots of ppl, and just 2 that own one X79 and one X99, and NO one with a 6900.

and amd will not sell very good numbers in the +400-500$ range,
    no matter how fast it is, as the amount of ppl willing to spend that money, is very low.

the same reason more ppl will have a sub 50K 4 door as daily driver, and not a 300K gallardo. that doesnt mean there isnt one out there being used as such.

so sure, there always exceptions, but they are not the rule.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2017
  9. Tree Dude

Tree Dude Master Guru

GPU:
    Radeon R9 270X 2GB
    Funny, the few people I know who buy top end gear will buy what ever is best the moment it comes out. Then they sell off the old stuff which still has good resell value. If AMD's top 8c can best Intel when OCed then you can bet those people who must have the best will buy it.