AMD Software Preview Driver May 2022 driver download and discussion

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by MerolaC, May 10, 2022.

1. NewTRUMP Order

NewTRUMP Order Master Guru

GPU:
    rtx 3080
    I haven't heard such positive buzz about AMD drivers in years if ever. AMD better up the salary of whom/whoever came through with these improvements or Intel will headhunt them for their failing ARC driver team. [​IMG]

Exodite, Hypernaut, tunejunky and 3 others like this.
  2. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RX 470 Strix
    Of all the games I could think of that would benefit from any type of performance improvements to DX11 is Space Engineers, it's not the most graphically intense game, it's just it's implementation of DX11...is not the best, it was originally DX9 then was ported to 11, it's always kinda been janky since the beginning...

With this driver it does appear to be smoother, not sure if placebo..... but yeah, it was quite smooth.

3. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    PAL is open source and community developped

4. NewTRUMP Order

NewTRUMP Order Master Guru

GPU:
    rtx 3080
    PSSST sarcasm, open-source Webster's dictionary.

tunejunky likes this.

5. aufkrawall2

aufkrawall2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3060 TUF
    I don't think it is, outside of Mesa and Kernel AMD open-source development is more like giant code dumps every now and then.
    According to PCGH, this driver doesn't help CPU performance in Elex II D3D11. It's a nice improvement in general, but looks like it isn't "337.50" either.

6. Blisk

Blisk Member Guru

GPU:
    RX 6900XT
    What data do you have to suggest that PAL for OpenGL is implemented in the preview driver

7. patteSatan

patteSatan Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 390
    The control panel crashes all the time for me, anyone else that has that problem?

I mean, I have 3 icons beside the clock all the time...

8. MerolaC

MerolaC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AsRock RX 6700XT
    Yeah, same behavior here.
    I ended up disabling the system tray icon.

patteSatan likes this.
  9. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800XT/3080Ti
    Actually this is the only driver where I haven't had a control panel crash at all and I open the control a lot to play with per game settings. The control panel would always crash at least once after a fresh install upon opening the panel and going to performance tab to reinput my overclock. Every time without fail. I would load the panel back up and it would be on the overclocking page.

Not had a single crash with these. I do have the taskbar icon disabled though, same as animations, web browser, etc in the control panel as I never use them.

EDIT:

I have noticed that the position of the desktop context menu (right click) has changed for the Control Panel. Instead of being at the top of the menu it is now in the middle???

tunejunky likes this.
  10. MerolaC

MerolaC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AsRock RX 6700XT
    GTA V is all kinds of ****** up when It comes to shadows.
    LOL
    Though, I can see an slight perf. uplift.

11. HD64G

HD64G Active Member

GPU:
    SapphirePulseRX5700
    This driver works much better indeed with DX11. In Witcher 3, looking to the centre of the Novigrad square from the exit of the tavern opposite to it, I used to have 130FPS and now it went to 140FPS. With a 5700 non-XT. Troy Total War also went from ~105 to over 120FPS. Big improvement imho. Big R&D money are giving their fruits now me thinks.

PhazDelta likes this.
  12. Vlooi

Vlooi Active Member

GPU:
    Radeon vii
    Always disable the tray icon of the control panel. It tends t be problematic.

tunejunky likes this.
  13. tunejunky

tunejunky Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX6900XT, 2070
    fine wine FTW.
    i've noticed improvements even in some Nvidia titles like "Lost Ark" and since i play "Death Stranding" & "The Witcher3" i'm really happy with the performance uptick...this is like "free money".

imho, AMD is doing everything it can to keep its reputation for long term value w/ 5800x3d, this driver update, and the refresh 6xxx.

people can complain, cry, whinge, or whatever but if you're allowing your clients with old equipment into the 100+ fps @ 4k with just a partial upgrade you are keeping your upgrade path promises.
    in other words no need for ddr 5, or a new motherboard, or a new cpu to hit that "just what i wanted" and "good enough" level of gameplay.

as i mentioned elsewhere, reality is what you're gaming with now and your plans for the immediate future.
    do you have a monitor or are you using a TV as a monitor?
    there is a huge number of people who game on the TV. the rx6950xt will be a perfect match for all freesync TVs being all it needs for years.
    and if you're using a gaming monitor even better because now you don't need to spend on a g-sync module (i own g-sync module and freesync premium monitors) and can either save or use that $200-250.

Astyanax, Fediuld and HD64G like this.
  14. PhazDelta

PhazDelta Master Guru

GPU:
    RX6900XT Strix LC
  15. Eastcoasthandle

Eastcoasthandle Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700 XT
    Nope. But I don't have the icon enabled in the system tray either.

patteSatan likes this.

16. rl66

rl66 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 6700 XT
    Same for Polaris...

Remove the driver and re-install the M$'s AMD driver, it should be corrected (hotfix were published).
    In some case, if you have installed W10 driver in early W11 stage, the new driver may not install by itself.

17. Blisk

Blisk Member Guru

GPU:
    RX 6900XT
    If OpenGL on PAL was already implemented in the preview driver, it would 100% be in the changelog.

18. MerolaC

MerolaC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AsRock RX 6700XT
    I swear to you, that they did something for the OpenGL driver because Teardown is working wonderfully on High, while with the latest drivers, it's an slidshow on my PC.

Mott likes this.
  19. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700 XT
    OK, I installed the Preview driver package, and loaded up Dragon Age: Inquisition. I disabled all the DXVK support, so I'm running it on pure DirectX 11. I have a save game I use to test with, along the sea coast which has the lowest dips. With DX11, I would have dips as low as 44 fps, and with DXVK Async I can keep it above 50 fps consistently. Mind you , this is with 85% Res Scaling (In game menu option)

With the preview driver, I had perfectly smooth and consistent 60 FPS. Not one dip in any of the map area. Not one. Even in a known area where it tanks. Wow. Just wow.

I haven't tried this with RSR yet, just Anti-Lag enabled.

AsiJu, SmokingPistol, Exodite and 4 others like this.
  20. mystik

mystik Member

GPU:
    Sapphire 6900xt N+
    so, after trying a number of things (reinstalled driver multiple times with different options (ddu, ddu+factory during setup, upgrading from older driver, etc), it turns out it was something in morepowertools in the feature set.
    i'm not sure which featureset flag caused the issue, but it affected more than just MPC. it affected discord (discord crash when showing gifs), affected games that showed FMVs (e.g. houseflipper opening splash).

i _was_ playing with different featureset flags when trying to hunt for the highest benchmark numbers in 3dmark (reading overclock.net forums, not just fully blind).
    so going from stock, i now only have the DS_ flags disabled and increased wattage.

everything seems to work properly now.

thanks for offering the help, though. i was about to upload an episode of reboot somewhere lol