AMD Software: Adrenalin Edition 24.5.1 - Driver Download and Discussion

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by cra3khead, May 15, 2024.

1. Cp0

Cp0 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Liquid Dev 7900 XTX
    While DRM content is active overlay will stop functioning it makes sense that that you cannot screen record instant replay etc, however what does not make sense that the overlay stops functioning, i know apps with DRM content may break it as well.
    A good way to test is to open a website with DRM content to test if breaks overlay.
    https://bitmovin.com/demos/drm
    In Firefox i just disabled DRM content and notification and this test runs just fine, without breaking my overlay so i have no idea why it must be this way.

For me its the main reason i switched to just having second display with app like infopanel + hwinfo used to use something else for this tho.

Also anyone still playing Helldivers 2 i noticed running the game as admin fixes Radeon Software from being stuck in restart loop, and the game running like crap, it also makes overlay work again.
    The game used to be able to cause driver timeouts within 2 minutes for me at times, by looks of it it no longer does this.

The DRM bug with overlay i can still reproduce these days, does not matter which browser you use, some websites have drm content even tho they work fine without DRM support enabled.

Oh and before some one asks if the overlay does not work neither will AFMF, i noticed some users think it does not work because in game fps meter does not show a fps boost.

2. DimkaTsv

DimkaTsv Maha Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RX 7800XT TUF
    Overlay works for me with this page opened and video playing.

3. lipicixd

lipicixd New Member

GPU:
    internal
    please tell us the lottery numbers from next week as well

4. DimkaTsv

DimkaTsv Maha Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RX 7800XT TUF
    ? WDYM?
    I simply know that he doesn't run neither OC nor UV daily, because he mentioned it some time ago.

5. Cp0

Cp0 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Liquid Dev 7900 XTX
    it breaks for me even in chrome, you might have the drm option disabled in your browser.

6. DimkaTsv

DimkaTsv Maha Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RX 7800XT TUF
    I do not tinker with options unless i need to. So it has almost everything by default.
    Heck, i just googled where it can be done, checked, and protected content is enabled.

That testing page also tells me that it uses DRM protocol. (aka using widevine part).
    upload_2024-6-11_15-18-55.png

Unless Chrome improved something in newer versions, as i use Chrome Dev and it is 2 major releases ahead of public one.

Krteq likes this.
  7. Cp0

Cp0 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Liquid Dev 7900 XTX
    Overlay breaks while in game not on desktop.

8. Cryio

Cryio Master Guru

GPU:
    Nitro+ 7900 XTX
    I was testing Immortals: Fenyx Rising today. In DX11, I can't quite lock 120 fps at all times. Using DXVK does allow the GPU/CPU to run sufficiently fast to lock 120 fps at all times, so that's nice.

Oh well.

Kamil950 and Krteq like this.
  9. DimkaTsv

DimkaTsv Maha Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RX 7800XT TUF
    Point taken, tried it, you are right. But you could've wrote core of the issue properly in the first place.
    Nowhere here it was mentioned that playing DRM content stops overlay from being shown only when you switch to different application (aka game), so my testing was done without such assumption. See how important it is to properly describe problems?

I assume it is specifically because of DRM shennanigans (it is quite complex load of proprietary code). And i found a game that doesn't break overlay with DRM playback (while bunch of others do). I assume it is somewhat tied to presentation models?
    Also not every DRM content provider will not play anything if you don't support DRM. They often use DRM only for higher quality stuff like 1080p+ iirc. For example Netflix is avaliable as both DRM and non-DRM variant. Which is worse, is that conditions to play HQ content that requires DRM are quite harsh. For example it also requires specific browsers or something like this iirc...

Personally just use RTSS myself. I have own custom overlay there.

upload_2024-6-11_18-13-55.png

Last edited: Jun 11, 2024
  10. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Devil RX 6900 XTU
    Drivers has really improved on Rdna3

Horus-Anhur likes this.

11. Rubalvar

Rubalvar Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 6700 XT
    I think it doesn't make sense to compare the performance of a rdna3 on a pre-rdna3 driver. He should have compared a rdna2 card with old and new drivers.

12. Horus-Anhur

Horus-Anhur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6800 XT
    But the 22.12.1 were the first drivers to support RDNA3. They don't predate RDNA3.

Undying and DeadXecuter like this.
  13. illusiveman

illusiveman Maha Guru

GPU:
    XFX 6700XT Ultra
    It's the same story since forever. The same with RDNA2, the same with RDNA1, same with VEGA etc. They launch GPU with drivers that are barely working and not fully utilizing the GPU because they don't have the man-power to get the drivers ready at release....only after 6-12 month the drivers are kind of ok. Fine wine is a meme at this point and anyone that uses this phrase seriously is just a fan boy.
    That performance should have been there from day 1. Imagine the reception if they manage to release a GPU with drivers that actually work as they should day 1.

14. Rubalvar

Rubalvar Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 6700 XT
    True, I didn't remember. But as Ilusiveman said, it's a bit forced comparison because the first drivers were barely functional.

15. DimkaTsv

DimkaTsv Maha Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RX 7800XT TUF
    You cannot install drivers on unsupported GPU's without dedicated tricks with .inf file edit (where you add HW ID of GPU you want to allow it to install.
    Meaning drivers that he used, did in fact support RDNA3.

These drivers still were a thing, so it is worth to note progress nonetheless.

Tbh that is also a reach. Even Nvidia does it's own improvements on drivers with time. It is just that difference in starting point between AMD and Nvidia is quite large (due to mentioned lack of developers)

16. illusiveman

illusiveman Maha Guru

GPU:
    XFX 6700XT Ultra
    Yeah also I'm not taking into account game specific optimizations....I don't remember nvidia having major improvements across all games, only game specific optimizations and that is normal.

17. illusiveman

illusiveman Maha Guru

GPU:
    XFX 6700XT Ultra
    This bug was listed in the known issues of 24.4.1 driver...is it fixed on one of the newer technical preview drivers or the only way to play Fallout3/new vegas is to install 23.12.x or to use dxvk ?

LE:
    Nevermind I just found that they released a driver that fixes this issue but it's not listed on the website....again why did they stopped releasing opțional drivers ? Why must this be a technical preview driver that you can only find if you specifically search for it?
    https://www.amd.com/en/resources/support-articles/release-notes/RN-RAD-WIN-23-40-33-03.html
    Did they move the entire senior staff to AI related BS and only left a couple of interns to maintain the windows drivers ?
    At least they should post them on the regular driver page alongside the recommended drivers....this is so dumb.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2024
    Direfield and Rubalvar like this.
  18. DimkaTsv

DimkaTsv Maha Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RX 7800XT TUF
    They released preview driver as verification of hotfix, i assume.
    This is how AMD refferred issue at 24.5.1

upload_2024-6-13_0-36-39.png

They don't release drivers as frequently, because i am pretty sure it is quite a bit of pain to push new release. So by releasing 1 recommended driver per month they actually very likely to have increased productivity. By how much though is up to debate, but imo, recently they began to do a lot more stuff per driver update, then i saw in 2022-23 drivers. When difference between 22.9.1 and 22.9.3 was so minimal (even though personally had bad experience with 22.9.1 specifically), that i don't even have any idea about what was changed.

And major releases of the games in this year don't seem to be as frequent.

Even optional drivers still require bunch of verification, bureucracy and other coordination bs (including adding it to the list of the available drivers for all devices and open it up as update option from Adrenalin software itself). And i guess that releasing technical preview driver is less troublesome, as it is basically just "create release notes in form a page with download link on it and upload file on server".

19. illusiveman

illusiveman Maha Guru

GPU:
    XFX 6700XT Ultra
    Idk why we should invent excuses for their behavior. It's not like their GPUs are free... customers tend to get mad when they pay money for something that doesn't run their favorite game...at all. The video above would not exist if they simply uploaded the technical preview driver on the same webpage as the recommended drivers.
    When you search online for this issue you only find annoying workarounds like downgrading to an older driver, using dxvk in windowed mode, using a bunch of mods to modify the dx9 dll...
    There is a thread on AMD forums with this bug that has 135 replies....and no one mentions these drivers not even the AMD moderators. At this point I think they like to see people mad lol.

Direfield and Cp0 like this.
  20. DimkaTsv

DimkaTsv Maha Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RX 7800XT TUF
    Don't get me wrong, you are right. But i, personally, don't think that shitting out new public driver versions at random times and random quantities is a good solution. It would've been nice, but if it affects dev productivity and amount of possible fixes per measure of time, i don't think such trade would be worth.
    Internal procedures is a necessary evil to communicate between teams (and even between AMD and Microsoft), but gosh it is not a fast process. More releases - more procedures - less development time - less productivity. Which is already not a best point of AMD here.

But it is weird that Owen out of anyone hadn't provided a direct solution (aka preview driver), when it exists now. He usually does some research, isn't he?
    When it is for stuff like anti-lag or AFMF, people dig those preview drivers from underground (they are published in same place, you know). But for such stuff, nah, who cares.
    And comments there are mostly people that came with confirmation bias. They are not lying, but comments are overwhelming to this extent particularly due to topic of the video.

I will note one thing. AMD should've probably mentioned Fallout fixes in page naming (aka AMD Software: Adrenalin Edition 23.40.33.03 Fallout Hotfix Release Notes), as it was only major change in this driver, isn't it?
    It will still probably come out in next driver version, and people will over time "forget" about their inability to play Fallout for few months.

Oh, they actually quite rarely parse through threads, especially old ones. I will admit that AMD forums are only sometimes helpful, and hitting a moderator answer is close to jackpotting a small lottery. Tbh, i am not even sure if moderators of public AMD support forum are even directly AMD employees. This forum is mostly designed for people to help other people, not for AMD to get feedback. And those "moderators" can just be community managers without much power within company. Unless you write in developer section, which requires getting pass (permissions) from moderators of dev section. Then those moderators are definitely more competent.

And most annoying thing is that i actually have threads, where i provided a solution to some issues. For example i have that VRAM issue where i mentioned CRU fix, which does work. But i cannot add message to tell restrictions on CVT-RB and CVT-RB2, as it gets instantly deleted for some reason (and i am author of thread btw). So people will often try CRU with too high resolution/refresh rate for specific mode (or overall), and fix won't work (or be applicable) for them. --> Hence more complaints

There also was weird case when people complained for many months about Elite Dangerous crashing on transition from lightspeed travel to planetary landing maneuvers, which caused error that basically locked you out of the game. Meaning your position is saved and when you reentered server, you would've instantly got an error. Not driver crash. Game error. People discussed on forums about using modified library to tinker with floating point precision options in DirectX or something (it allowed them to not have this problem).
    I remember testing issue myself and providing full bug report to AMD with error reporting tool. It was fixed one or two months later. Was it coincidence, or those people couldn't get a coherent detailed bug report on the issue? I have no idea.

Tbh, amount of generic or obscure complaints there is mildly annoying. Solution (if exists) is either simple, or too complicated due to weirdness of problem and inability to reproduce conditions locally.
    Or question is too abstract. For example "Stutters when playing X game"...
    How long are stutters, how frequently, are they conditional, random or timed? What SW you have running in background. What you tried to do? Does it do same in other games? And so on and so forth. They provide almost zero helpful information to help others help him resolve issue or explain what is happening.
    Worst part, is that many people are not good at iterative troubleshooting.

For example there is (decently) long thread of people complaining on stutters when playing 4k video in browser. But it is not widespread issue! In fact, for most people video won't stutter.
    So either they are missing key information on testing or setup or they have weird software conflict, which they never even ATTEMPTED to resolve despite complaining for months. Or there can be something weird with HW setup, which is potential possibility, but not one i would look primarily in this case as there is some group of people that have issue, not one single random person.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2024
    Rubalvar and illusiveman like this.