AMD Software: Adrenalin Edition 24.1.1 - Driver Download and Discussion

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by rflair, Jan 23, 2024.

1. aufkrawall2

aufkrawall2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7800 XT Hellhound
    This is really 100% not true. Fifo vsync does nothing bad at all with VRR and frame time within VRR range, and you can avoid the additional latency added when it would cap fps simply by adding an fps limiter.

Likely depends on CPU frame time variance. It's quite good in Fortnite (some/many atrocious stutter events ignored) and frame time graph even can be a flat line with AL.

I don't like it vs. CAS shader in ReShade or configurable RCAS in games with FSR 2. It makes the image already look rough at minimum 10% setting.

2. DimkaTsv

DimkaTsv Maha Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RX 7800XT TUF
    Well, VSync by nature adds latency equal to 2-3 more additional frames being buffered (depends on game). It physically impossible to do VSync without frame buffering, aka added latency. Sad, but true. But reminding to people. GPU latency (and bufferization) is far from being biggest part of the latency. There are way to many steps that add onto it.
    You can avoid need in VSync by hard capping FPS to 143 or 142 instead, yeah. But sadly games often don't provide you manual cap, and only option is 144, not 143/142

Yes. Basically that's exactly what happening. I can even see similar stuff in BDO. Frametime becomes more jagged, but in actuality i don't notice that much, as even with all that variance, it is hard to see with unprepared eye.

Well... I have mine at 20%, it gives good balance. But one rule is to NEVER blindly keep it with in-game sharpness (which is often applied with TAA to compensate smeariness)

3. aufkrawall2

aufkrawall2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7800 XT Hellhound
    No, it's totally just wrong with VRR. There were input to pixel input lag tests done by BlurBusters and Battle(non)sense and vsync adds no input lag at all with VRR when it doesn't act as an fps cap.

No, you can't. There can still be torn frames get scanned out without vsync, despite VRR. No vsync = no guarantee for no tearing.

4. DimkaTsv

DimkaTsv Maha Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RX 7800XT TUF
    VRR is not VSync though. Different levels of synchronisation.
    Like even by name "Variable Refresh Rate" versus "Vertical Synchronization".
    VRR forces monitor to adapt it's blanking so frame will fit right into new refresh cycle.
    Vertical Synchronization is "wait for v.sync timing to initialize presentation". And here, to keep buffer up to date, there are several frames being kept so there won't be an underfill.

5. aufkrawall2

aufkrawall2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7800 XT Hellhound
    I've really been saying this all along? They are complementary. The connection is that with them combined, result is 100% free of tearing without any additional latency.
    You said "VSync (which actually plays even worse with FreeSync in my opinion)". Which it simply does not.

AsiJu likes this.
  6. DimkaTsv

DimkaTsv Maha Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RX 7800XT TUF
    Them being complementary depends on usage. Imo, but only potential benefit to it, is to smoothen frametime variance within VRR range. But, again, with maybe not with full, but still partial VSync latency penalty. If anything most of these "judder" issues are fixed by setting proper FPS cap. And Fast Sync / Enhanced Sync is still a VSync in disguise, which only works under VRR cap. Convenient.

Why you MAY want to enable VSync with VRR, you also may not depends on your usage and preferences. I often play my games with unrestricted FPS (or partially limited to some value like 432 FPS) often enough, so VSync becomes burden, rather than grace. And Enhanced Sync allows me to both go over 144FPS and remove tearing at the same time. While under 144FPS it becomes like VSync and works with FreeSync. So i don't need to f*cking toggle it on and off constantly.

7. aufkrawall2

aufkrawall2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7800 XT Hellhound
    Not much/any smoothing going on with vsync and with high frame time variance (e.g. in-game limiter) in VRR range. It just forces scan-out of full frames without metering frame times much/at all.

There is no such thing and it is even the opposite: Lag with (proper) in-game limiter + vsync is way lower than with e.g. Chill + no vsync.

At the cost of latency and I still could provoke tearing, despite 100% flat line in RTSS with very sudden scene changes in Hitman 3. No fps limiter in the world can provide a guarantee against tearing.

AsiJu likes this.
  8. DimkaTsv

DimkaTsv Maha Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RX 7800XT TUF
    Less than default VSync does. If you think that SOMEHOW VSync brings no latency penalty, i would recommend you to check sources.
    Only thing that makes it to do fine in terms of latency penalty is VRR specifically, as it allows GPU to send image instantly as monitor is ready due to flexible refresh window.

Issue for me wasn't quite "tearing" (oh, tearing on 144 Hz are usually negligible), but worse... Visible scanline, which persists for up to several seconds. It is REALLY annoying.

For some reason i had generally more questionable experience with VSync on rather than Enhanced sync, due to being force limited to 144FPS, which also often brings 1% and 0.1% lows down.
    And if i am always below 144 FPS in some games, Enhanced Sync works constantly almost like VSync. Again, convenience for me. Of course i could've done per-game tinkering, but it is tiresome.

Again, i can see VSync enjoyers, and i can see reason for Fast Sync existence. So to each it's own. It also depends on VSync implementation. Also AMD definitely changed something between RDNA2 and RDNA3 in terms of how Enhanced Sync either works or interacts.

9. PPC

PPC Master Guru

GPU:
    Thats all well and good in theory but so far i only found one game (out of like 10) that doesnt weird out once a framerate limiter is introduced, on AMD cards. Never had those issues with nV, RT frame limiter kinda worked for almost every game without issues.

10. aufkrawall2

aufkrawall2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7800 XT Hellhound
    No, I know them very well, posted them multiple times over the years and won't continue this discussion.

Is just total nonsense, I use VRR + vsync + limiter in every game and there is zero difference vs. Nvidia with in-game limiters. If there is one, it's that Nvidia sometimes stutters more with in-game limiters, when their driver has overhead issues and produces worse CPU frame times, as seen in Fortnite...

AsiJu and illusiveman like this.

11. DimkaTsv

DimkaTsv Maha Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RX 7800XT TUF
    Well, on my experience often enough in-game framerate limiter works fine. But, again, depends on implementation, some games may have bad one. On other hand, more often than not RTSS one just feels better.
    It is just that by reducing FPS you also reduce your lows. And often enough it is not as nice of an experience.

But while in-game limiters are usually best in terms of input lag and latency, RTSS one is usually have increased smoothness at cost of small latency increase (and like 0.5-1% CPU penalty due to running RTSS with game)

Last edited: Feb 12, 2024
  12. PPC

PPC Master Guru

GPU:
    Dunno, im kinda past "bad luck" with number of titles that i tried.

Dota 2, ingame limiter craps out, stutters, cant achieve full FPS, RT limiter craps out similarly, changing modes helps somewhat
    Alien Dark Descent, ingame limiter is presets, if i set it to 144Hz it becomes choppy and tops out at 136 FPS for whatever reason
    Everspace 2, ingame limiter is again in presets, 144 is the closest, introduces "choppiness"
    Dungeons 4, RT limiter, introduces "skips" or missing frames or whatever, only really noticeable in repetitive motion like characters walking
    Baldurs Gate 3, works

It all becomes normal once i quit the limiters and turn on Vsync.

13. PapaJohn

PapaJohn Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus 6700XT OC 12Gb
    Gotta be honest, been away from PC gaming for over a year and forgotten everything lol.

I managed to get a 5600 x and 6700 XT on the cheap, both working fine. I'm on a cheap 1080p monitor that has freesync (Displayport 48-165Hz). Is this driver ok or is the previous one better? Keep seeing stuff about shader caching and stuff? I'm on Windows 11 23H2.

14. DimkaTsv

DimkaTsv Maha Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RX 7800XT TUF
    It's... fine pretty much. Shader caching is longer than before, but new driver should be released in this month anyways.

PapaJohn likes this.
  15. f1zus

f1zus Member

GPU:
    AMD Vega 56 OC
    I agree completely. FreeSync + Vsync + AMD Chill 236 (240hz monitor) provide perfect smoothness and minimal input lag and stable frame times. Render latency is about 2ms. This gives me consistent mouse sensitivity in any game. While with unlocked FPS I get 2ms only at 450+ FPS, but even so there are frame gaps and the mouse becomes either slower or faster depending on the FPS (the higher the FPS, the lower the input lag, as is known).
    Enhanced sync produces less smooth images and greater input lag than Vsync.

Obtimus likes this.

16. Obtimus

Obtimus Active Member

GPU:
    Asus Tuf G.OC6800xt
  17. Obtimus

Obtimus Active Member

GPU:
    Asus Tuf G.OC6800xt
    Way less input lag and a smoother gameplay since I've turned off Freesync, enabled Chill (min 166, Max 166) on COD MW3 and enabled vsync.
    Also the only way to have frames locked on this game in particular. Weird!

18. Obtimus

Obtimus Active Member

GPU:
    Asus Tuf G.OC6800xt
    Can't' replicate freesync on and having chill on + Vsyn on o_O. I need to deactivate FreeSync for the frames to limit to my refresh rate in games.
    I recommend you guys to try Vsync On, Chill (same values of your higher frame for min and max) , turn off FreeSync and voila!
    Damn I wished i knew this earlier. Gameplay is so smooth.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2024
  19. Cp0

Cp0 Master Guru

GPU:
    Liquid Dev 7900 XTX
    non stop crashes in dying light 2 today, everyone pretends its not a driver issue even tho it obviously is an driver issue or well hardware bug that is present on every rdna3 card

20. aufkrawall2

aufkrawall2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7800 XT Hellhound
    Have you ever tested with stock RAM and CPU settings?

radosuaf likes this.