AMD Software: Adrenalin Edition 22.8.1- Driver download and discussion

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by Blisk, Aug 12, 2022.

1. The Creator

The Creator Master Guru

GPU:
    Hellhound 7900XT
    The same trick works with PotPlayer too. If we choose old decoding and old renderer. I have commented this already in post#28

You can just disable AV1 hardware acceleration in the new version until AMD fixes the driver (the setting in the right red rectangle on my screenshot should be "Disable" just like for MPEG4). ;)

Last edited: Aug 16, 2022
    illusiveman likes this.
  2. tty8k

tty8k Maha Guru

GPU:
    3070 / 6900xt
    Another test/issue for me with 22.8.1
    I tried to install it via win 11 update, which only updates the driver itself.
    Screen went black, no coming back had to hard reset.

I kept it for a bit to see if any better than a clean ddu instalation.
    Same issues, more obvious stuttering than 22.7.1.
    Also FOrza 5 doesn't keep monitor refresh rate, have to set it to variable every time I start the game.
    Also, using prime app (watching a movie) if I open amd control panel and try to move the window it moves really really slow around.

3. The Creator

The Creator Master Guru

GPU:
    Hellhound 7900XT
    I succeeded to use AV1 hardware acceleration (D3D11) with PotPlayer and MPC-BE just using LAV Video Decoder as an external filter.

LavVideoDecoder.jpg

For sure AMD has changed something in the driver after 22.5.1 so they broke PotPlayer internal decoder. Now we have to wait until PotPlayer will adapt its own internal decoder to the new drivers or AMD will ensure backward compatibility.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2022
    illusiveman likes this.
  4. Alessio1989

Alessio1989 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    playing AVC 1080p just fine on RDNA2 (6700 XT) and mpc-hc 1.9.22. It works fine with DXVA native, I noticed that while GCN had video decode queue busy along with 3d code a copy queue, rdna 2 uses the video codec 0 queue instead of the decode and the 3d queue.

5. HD64G

HD64G Active Member

GPU:
    SapphirePulseRX5700
    I don't know why you think the new DX11 driver elements do not work with RDNA gen 1. In my case The Witcher 3 got from 130 to 140FPS in the exact same scene that I use for test just after the update to the preview 22.5.2 driver that had those enhancements for DX11.

6. Agonist

Agonist Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Dell 6800XT 16GB

I never said I didn't think it wouldn't work, jusy said its BS there isn't offical support yet from AMD.

HD64G likes this.
  7. astarte.zeno

astarte.zeno Member

GPU:
    RX 5700XT
    I like performance of this driver.
    No idea what amd changed but it clearly boosts higher in same games. For me biggest difference is overwatch.
    With 22.8.1. it didn't hover around 1200Mhz in gameplay but boosted to 1900MHz and stayed there.
    On the dark side, I didn't expiriance so many BSOD's and system hangs since first wave of bad rx5700XT drivers.
    So I'm back to 22.7.1

8. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700 XT
    IIRC the current WU packages are slightly different
    Have you considered the idea that PotPlayer devs broke their internal filter and it is THEY who need to update their product? Esp since using an older version WORKS on newer drivers, and also that LAV also works just fine? And that other apps also work just fine?

PrEzi likes this.
  9. illusiveman

illusiveman Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX 6700XT Ultra
    Tbf the older version works because it doesn't have hardware acceleration for AV1 content. The new version also works if I disable the hardware acceleration.
    So...if the 22.5.1 drivers work fine with the the latest version of potplayer it means that AMD changed something in the drivers. IDK who's to blame...but somebody better fix it :)

Plyra and Chastity like this.
  10. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700 XT
    Thanks for updating that info, kinda makes more sense now.

illusiveman likes this.

11. passenger

passenger Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX580 8GB
    Here's some info, everything's working fine here on RX580 and PotPlayer with 22.7.1, I'm gonna try 22.8.1 later...

Screenshot 2022-08-17 105546.jpg

Screenshot 2022-08-17 105436.png

Screenshot 2022-08-17 105519.png

Last edited: Aug 17, 2022
  12. illusiveman

illusiveman Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX 6700XT Ultra
    You made the same mistake as me. You're using an older version of potplayer that doesn't have support for hardware acceleration on AV1.
    Download the latest version 1.7.21765 and you'll see that AV1 appears in the available video decoders and the other side under VP9. You'll have to put AV1 to disabled (as is with MPEG4) in order to play this video.

13. Krteq

Krteq Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 3080 WC
    Polaris doesn't even supports AV1 decode HW accell. (same as Navi1):rolleyes:

Last edited: Aug 17, 2022
  14. illusiveman

illusiveman Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX 6700XT Ultra
    Oh yeah...so in his case it will always work because Polaris can't use hardware acceleration with AV1.

15. The Creator

The Creator Master Guru

GPU:
    Hellhound 7900XT
    UWP is a little lower as a version but it has the same bugs.

I haven't seen any new updates. Let's see tonight with the new DEV build (if it's not so buggy to skip it) of Win11 if AMD will release some new UWP driver.

16. AlmondMan

AlmondMan Master Guru

GPU:
    5700 XT Red Devil
    Hm if I DDU the previous driver and install this one, will I get all the reinstallation of various things that softlocks the system for a period?

17. athosdewitt

athosdewitt New Member

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB MSI G X
    Enhanced Sync feels smoother than before but still sluggish af. with both antilag and Enhanced Sync disabled gameplay feels just better. i just use radeon chill with same min and max value.
    the culprit of black screen in browsers / idle / after a cold boot / sleep but stable in AAA Games on other hand can be XMP / CPU OC or both for those who experience this issue dial back to stock settings maybe with a bios reset too few days if problem persist then you know for sure it's AMD driver the culprit. example: On my end was wrong procODT and cad bus settings. cracking noise and sudden black screen in browsers / idle / after a cold boot / sleep. For a while i blamed my RX 580 and drivers because for some reason installed with minimal reduced the amount of issues significantly

18. tty8k

tty8k Maha Guru

GPU:
    3070 / 6900xt
    In my case the problems do not persist with older video driver so I can rule out other system settings.
    Tested both 22.7 and 22.8 all week, different types of install, clean install etc both running stock or custom settings.

19. passenger

passenger Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX580 8GB
    With PotPlayer was never the latest the greatest, great player but you have to find version that works best for you. With latest PotPlayer I can't watch hi-res av1 videos because of abnormal gpu usage. As statet above Polaris doesn't support av1 hw acceleration and all the decoding was done by software which in latest PotPlayer is broken, similar situation is with drivers the higher the number doesn't guarantee you stability nor best performance but solves some compatibility issues.

20. Blisk

Blisk Member Guru

GPU:
    RX 6900XT
    There's probably a very good reason as to why it's not enabled for NV1