AMD Smart Access Memory technology coming to NVIDIA and Intel

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Nov 24, 2020.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    tunejunky likes this.
  2. sam640

sam640 Member

GPU:
    GTX-1070
    Seems like they want to lock it to their new processors as long as possible. And once Nvidia start actually supporting it, then they will open support to all CPUs.

3. emperorsfist

emperorsfist Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AORUS RTX 3070 8Gb
    Hopefully they'll make it available to the 3000 Ryzens. I don't see much of a reason to have it be 5000 only (if it is supposed to support Intel at some point).

insp1re2600 likes this.
  4. Venix

Venix Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Rtx 4070 super
    I have a feeling since nvidia stated their gpus will support this as well as this is a direct x feature and they will support it on both intel and amd as far amd does not lock em out.... They are jumping ahead to show that they are the good guys and they are sharing ... Or i am too suspicious

barbacot and sam640 like this.

5. rl66

rl66 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 6700 XT
    On other hand Freesync have been proposed to both NVidia and Intel too...
    None have used this opportunity.
    The gain for AMD is to become standard, this way even if concurent sold more it is still a gain.
    M$ have done this with Android and Apple, they were in the end wagon of the train, but still earning a lot.

6. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    MS did adopt AdaptiveSync and nV technically too as you can use Freesync (read "AdaptiveSync") with their GPUs.

7. Martin5000

Martin5000 Master Guru

GPU:
    8 gig
    If AMD think this will gain them any favour in future from intel or nvidia they are very much mistaken.
    Its a foolish gesture that will not be replicated.
    AMD are lacking enough features. Giving away r and d is just foolish.
    Just look what nvidia did with AMD freesync. It no longer belongs too AMD.

8. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    AMD never needed to own AdaptiveSync. And they never did. They own trademark for Freesync.
    As for "G-Sync compatible". It is between nVidia and monitor manufacturers. Foul play it is. Maybe even forced upon AIBs as they do not want to lose favor with nVidia as they not only sell monitors, they sell nVidia's GPUs.

tunejunky likes this.
  9. Valkyr09

Valkyr09 Member

GPU:
    GTX 2070 Super
    Well it will not make business sense to exclude Nvidia. Even though AMD produces rival graphic cards, I believe AMD knows that there are PC users who might be using Ryzen with Nvidia graphics card. If you do exclude them, you are keeping nearly 70% to 80% of your market. Why cannibalize your other sales?

10. pharma

pharma Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Strix GTX 1080
    I don't think AMD had any choice. Especially after Nvidia reported they had showed similar performance gains with their RBAR experiments and would work to enable on Intel motherboards, and if not blocked AMD motherboards. Nvidia and Intel were poised do the same lockout that AMD tried to do.

Venix and tunejunky like this.

11. Kaarme

Kaarme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070 FE
    I might be wrong, but I don't think this has anything to do with DirectX. According to Nvidia, it's a PCIe 3.0 feature, if memory serves. It also requires a specific bios setting, which further suggests it's not related to DirectX.

It would be beyond funny if this feature turns out to be more widely supported by Intel/Nvidia than AMD, which actually used it in their marketing. But that only depends on if AMD keeps limiting it to the 5000 series.

tunejunky and AlmondMan like this.
  12. XantaX

XantaX Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 TI 12G
    Some games crashes after installing SAM beta bios MSI x570 Mag Tomahawk mobo ,after deleting the game preferences for those games they worked ok
    Graphics card: GTX1660 Super OC, but i don't notice any improvement....

pharma likes this.
  13. pharma

pharma Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Strix GTX 1080
    It should not work yet. Nvidia and AMD have not submitted their driver updates to enable the feature. So currently it will only work with RX 6000 hardware on specified motherboards.

tunejunky, DeskStar and Undying like this.
  14. RED.Misfit

RED.Misfit Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1080 Gaming X
    This is a PCI express feature, everyone with a PCI 3.0 and a compatible motherboard (bios option "resizable BAR" required) should be able to use it.
    Windows is compatible since WDDM v2, so Windows 10 only.
    -> https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/drivers/display/resizable-bar-support

15. DeskStar

DeskStar Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 3080Ti/3090FTW

16. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    Both AMD and NVIDIA utilizing it should mean both vendors now unlock it across more hardware and the feature gets wide availability though AMD started with the whole 5000 series CPU and 6000 series GPU but at least it's picking up pretty quickly and with a few new driver revisions and possibly from AMD also further bios updates there should be some interesting results as this feature gets tested out. :)

Bit of a different thing but I am still curious if the ability to send more data chunks or rather larger data chunks could also benefit Direct Storage but that's not something we'll see for a while yet. :)

EDIT: Suppose using it as a hardware feature to promote sales is a thing from AMD plus you'd probably want to start with a small sample first although this does sound more like it's down to motherboard and PCI bridge quality and the chipset more than CPU or GPU although cache and CPU features could still play some role or certain GPU functionality for all I know.

17. kakiharaFRS

kakiharaFRS Master Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 RTX 3090
    don't get too excited or waste your time with this
    check youtube video comparisons you'll see the fabled 3-5% improvements are actually 0-5fps on already 100+fps games 0 more often than 5 too
    it's something that might give us an increase maybe, later...but right now it's not worth even mentioning

Noisiv likes this.
  18. asturur

asturur Maha Guru

GPU:
    Geforce Gtx 1080TI
    I think you are suspicious.
    This isn't windows related library.
    This enables access to the gpu memory without pagination, is a MB/CPU configuration probably in the way the address space is configured.
    I think is at UEFI level and then you probably need to take advantage it in the software.

Can it be wrapped by a generic directx implementation? yes.
    But that does not it mean that is a directx feature.

Venix and tunejunky like this.
  19. asturur

asturur Maha Guru

GPU:
    Geforce Gtx 1080TI
    I still ask myself why is x570 only and not b550 too

20. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS R9 290
    Right, I would understand why it'd be limited to the 500 series boards, but not only the X570.