AMD Shows First Displays with FreeSync Support

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jun 5, 2014.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    AMD announced a competitive and affordable solution to tackle Nvidia's Gsync, it goes under the name FreeSync also known as Adaptive Sync. AMD right now is demonstrating desktop monitors and no longe...

AMD Shows First Displays with FreeSync Support

2. Ven0m

Ven0m Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    Now I'd like them to be available this year, supported by both NV and AMD. Also, before buying one or another, I'd rather see some reviews including frame jitter, overhead and end-to-end lag measurements.

3. zzzaac

zzzaac Guest

GPU:
    -
    If I'm not mistaken

Free Sync requires a displayport 1.2a, darn I guess even with free sync, I'll need to buy a new monitor

4. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    The FreeSync Off monitor is completely different. They could have used a really crap monitor for that instead...

Bad comparison is bad!

Yep.

I personally wont be bothering with a new monitor untill 2020 or so, since i bought my current EIZO CX240 not long ago.

5. Smikis

Smikis Active Member

GPU:
    Sapphire Tri-X R9 290
    it isnt supposed to improve image quality, so it doesnt matter if its super ips or crappy tn monitor, it should do same thing and that is removing screen tearing

6. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Should have used a CRT for FreeSync OFF :D

7. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

Seems Nvidia weent to a lot of effort for no reason with G-sync, well no reason other than to exclude AMD (or hefty licencing).

8. fusion

fusion Guest

GPU:
    6850hd radeon / 1GB
    I do wonder if there will be much power saving coming from this technology on the monitor side. I can understand it will allow graphics cards to idle at lower wattage because they're not having to pump out 60fps when you're browsing online static pages or using word etc. There needs to be more motivation for monitor manufactures to get on board.

Laptops and other mobile devices on the other hand would probably have their battery life extended considerably and imo should be the technology to lead the charge on this one.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2014
  9. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    I just swapped my display to another IPS because the original had quirky overdrive (got tired of doing same button smashing sequence when I power it on...). But anyway, I'll stick with my ASUS MX239H (76 Hz FTW!) until there are ~24"-27" 4K screens that can do better than 60 frames per second and have variable framerate support. Also, no TN crap. It will probably take quite some time...

10. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    You could say the same about AMD's Mantle, and how DX12, OpenGL 5, and Apple's "Metal" are obsoleting it. The stupid thing is AMD did this whole freesync/g-sync thing a while ago, except it was meant only for laptops as a way to help save power.

Anyway, considering this isn't supposed to actually improve the graphics, I think it's such a funny marketing ploy on how AMD's presentation shows better contrast on the monitor with freesync on.

11. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

Also off centre pictures means the viewing angle contrast etc shows up.

12. SetsunaFZero

SetsunaFZero Active Member

GPU:
    Msi 980Ti 6G
    wonder if some Manufactures will release Firmware updates for there current monitors

13. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    I doubt a DisplayPort 1.1 monitor can be Firmware Upgraded to 1.2a. Pretty sure it's still hardware based.

14. Fierce Guppy

Fierce Guppy Member Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080 (10GB)
    That's fine. Gamers are free to avoid monitors from manufacturers that don't support adaptive sync.... It would be more profitable to them that they do, and early adopters will get the most attention.

15. orky87

orky87 Guest

GPU:
    R9_Nano
    I bet nvidia won't use this technology simply because they're too proud of Gsync, they may even add a new feature (ie, gimmick) and use that to justify the existence of Gsync.

Another thing is the cost. Gsync was never cheap to begin with and now looks like a complete rip off next to FreeSync. I doubt nvidia will have enough time to cover the cost bringing this thing (Gsync) to market.

edit: But kudos to nvidia for actually looking at how to fix screen tearing and coming up with a solution, even though it cost as much as a single entry level GPU.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2014

16. scatman839

scatman839 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080, KD55XD800
    Damn, optional standard, means many will avoid it or charge more for its inclusion.

I'd need to see it in a TV though.

17. Lane

Lane Guest

GPU:
    2x HD7970 - EK Waterblock
    The bad monitor that you are talking about look to be the 27" Asus. certainly the PB278 PLS ..

Anyway it dont affect freesync as it is not the purpose of it.

Dave Baumann:

Last edited: Jun 6, 2014
  18. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Nvidia's solution is expensive because it uses an FPGA instead of an ASIC chip which is significantly cheaper. They did this so they can deliver firmware updates to in the future. They already talked about removing polling and other things to help reduce latency and performance impact. It's also possible they can come up with some other neat tricks via firmware.

19. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Monitor on left is already existing monitor which is 60Hz but was made with HW capable to pull that stuff so they did just FW update.
    On YT video I noticed that this FreeSync screen had built in webcam at top center.
    I guess it may be bit hard to find what screen it is based on this an other physical features, but not impossible.

Another thing what Guy stated in video is: Freesync can go from 9 to 240Hz ATM.

Edit: Based on external power brick and stand it is Nexeus.
    On some pictures one can see description for buttons to bottom right, but none are clear enough to get language they are in to confirm exact model.

Edit2: Found him:
    NX-VUE27D - 2560x1440 S-IPS (eBay/newegg ~= 400$)

Last edited: Jun 6, 2014
  20. Ven0m

Ven0m Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    It doesn't have to be purely software upgrade.

I can remember NV showcasing G-Sync with ASUS 32" 4k monitor, which was hacked, with a gaping hole at the rear, cables and PCBs sticking out.