AMD Shares ZEN info and talks about based 32 core 64 thread product

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Aug 18, 2016.

1. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    There's like a 9 cent difference between the two, wouldn't exactly that's more expensive. I mean, it is..but...9 cents lol

Now if you're actually talking about the "value" column, that's easy

There's 1 more quantity in the 4c/8t bar

2. Exige245

Exige245 Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 6700XT
    No, I'm talking the "per unit" surely double the cores and threads should be of higher value, no? And the 9 cent difference is my point, that just seems entirely odd to me.

3. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS R9 290
    Well, what exactly is an "INR value"? As far as I'm concerned, that could just be some benchmark that isn't optimized for more than 8 threads. If that's the case, it wouldn't surprise me if the 4-core CPU has a higher frequency, so it will score higher.

4. Exige245

Exige245 Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 6700XT
    INR stands for Indian Ruppees I believe

5. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    I could be wrong, but i think it has more to do with the size of the chip, as wafers are wafers, there's more expensive ones and there's less expensive ones, but how much of the wafer it uses determines the physical costs of the wafers are the same quality?

Again i could be wrong.

Now why it costs more i don't know why that would be, if they were the same size (which would indicate the 4c/8t are just 8c/16t with disable features) then maybe the fact that it's disable costs more? aka if they laser cut them before hand? or maybe AMD is ordering more (in general) of the 8c/16t then the 4c/8t and therefore get more of a bulk discount? (obviously this post would say otherwise but i doubt they only ordered that much in general lol)

If they are laser cutting them to make 4c/8t, that's the best likely scenario as to why they would cost more. But that extra cost would not matter for AMD as they can still charge less retail for 4c/8t and more for 8c/16t even with that added cost, just means their margin is technically less on the 4c/8t

I would also say that the 3 day difference "could" also mean that there might have been a difference in material cost between them. For instance just the same as how a 3 day difference can have the material cost of gas (oil barrels, new shipment of gas, etc.) go up or down.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2016
  6. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    If the 4C/8T has a GPU, then it will most likely be more expensive to make, or at least equal.

7. Ryu5uzaku

Ryu5uzaku Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800 XT
    Bristol Ridge is no Zen tho.

8. Borys

Borys Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Gaming X
    Hi all!
    If this bench was true, I am quiet surprised with ZEN.
    Clock per clock better then the 6XXX series?
    Great job and hope that this numbers are really true!

9. sverek

sverek Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    AMD hyping its product again?

Get proper benching, then we hype or cry together.

10. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    None of their benches have been exactly "false". It's people's imaginations after that f*ck things up.

11. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TUF RTX 3080 OC
    Not false, but obviously cherry picked. AMD shows what they want people to see, which so far has been very little.

Like Sverek said, when we get proper benchmarks, we can cry together.

Honestly with engineering samples coming in at 3GHz I'm not hopeful that AMD that pump out a final product with high enough clocks to compete. But if they price their CPUs low enough and they can OC enough to compete I'd buy AMD over Intel anyway. I'm sick of the ~-1 to 5% real world gains per generation at some preposterous price per CPU.

And for the record Intel's engineering samples have been the opposite. They all OC'd so high in every review that they had everyone thinking even a bad chip would hit 4.6GHz. One in thousands actually reaches that without absurd voltage and cooling, with many capping at 4.2GHz no matter what. And don't look at my chip hitting 4.5 and think that's common for that generation. It takes so much voltage to be stable at 4.5GHz that my case should have a high voltage warning label on it.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2016
  12. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    This makes no sense. I'm, like, wtf dude is wrong with everyone?

It's an engineering sample

Intel haswell ES: 2.8Ghz
    Intel broadwell ES: 2.2Ghz
    Intel Ivy Bridge ES: 2.0GHz

Among more and more and more and more, and unless it was an engineering sample of an exact model number with higher frequency rather then an engineering model of the architecture itself, it's almost always low. So seriously people, wtf is wrong with you all that because AMD does the SAME thing as Intel, that somehow means AMD is set up to fail, or is likely to fail? What kind of logic is that? That is no logic. To derive a feeling or "fact" or "i knew it" from something like this, is illogical to the highest degree.

Since we don't know the OC capabilities of these chips, how can you figure that it's the opposite? If an Intel ES sample is stock low, but was somehow gotten by someone who would OC it and publish those numbers, how does that make it any different from what we are at now, other then someone not willing to do the latter?

Last edited: Aug 22, 2016
  13. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TUF RTX 3080 OC
    I thought I saw later engineering samples of Haswell clocked at the same thing as the final product (4770K) at 3.5GHz. I didn't even hear of this 2.8GHz sample. Hope that clarifies what I was saying.

14. sverek

sverek Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    If AMD gonna show only software where AMD fully utilized like 480 crossfire beating 1080 in AoS, yeah, thats not false. Are we to expect a good product?

AMD shows people number and make people hype about it, but once proper benchmarking on common software is done, its suddenly calm.

GPU marketing was full of ****, aimed at wrong targets with wrong hardware. Now we got CPU marketing shooting air?

I highly recommend to ignore all AMD bull**** their marketing is telling and read proper benchmarks once released. Nothing but disappointment.

15. EspHack

EspHack Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATI/HD5770/1GB
    what could go wrong... amd just needs to match SB ipc and they will be a short OC from the latest intel cpus, priced at same price with twice the cores, dont see how that can be impossible really, i think they will have a win this time

essentially, intel is either waiting for them or they really hit a roadblock, which wont go away just because amd finally came next to them, so thats actually cool if they are both stopped there, will have to compete with more and more cores

16. Ryu5uzaku

Ryu5uzaku Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800 XT
    Even haswell-e had 3ghz es. 4770k was indeed 2.8ghz.

But yeah engineering samples are rather low clocked dies and the tests against them are usually done by underclocking the existing parts.