AMD setup... is it worth the upgrade to an i5 3570K and Z77A-G45?

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards Intel' started by DSparil, Apr 7, 2019.

1. DSparil

DSparil Guest

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3080
    Well guru's, I was just offered both an MSI Z77A-G45 board with a i5 3570K for $100 bones! I am currently running an FX-8350 and an ASUS M5A97 board. I know the upgrade wouldn't be big, but is it worth the switch? I know single-core performance is far better on the i5, but I may take a small (or lateral step) on multi-threading. At $100 bones, I could sell my current hardware and break even at absolute worst.

Also, I must consider that the newest most CPU heavy games I even play are Underworld Ascendant and Quake Champions. Maybe MK11 soon.

Is it worth it guru's?

Last edited: Apr 7, 2019
  2. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    If you ware asking this question few years ago i would say yes but today i would keep that 8350. 4c4t cpus are on its last legs. Single threaded performance wont help if cpu usage is 100% in most of time in games result in stuttering and lag.

I have fx8150 and 2500k and i must say amd system is smoother.

DSparil likes this.
  3. DSparil

DSparil Guest

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3080
    Thanks for the quick reply. You certainly have a point, although I would also have to consider, I believe that MSI board supports faster and better Intel CPU's? I mean in the near future, if I could pick up an i7 and drop it into that socket, that opens up a whole other pathway. Also, the most CPU heavy games I even play are Quake Champions and Underworld Ascendant. Perhaps MK11 soon.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2019
  4. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Fastest cpu you can add there later on is the 4c/8t 3770k. Trust me, its not that much faster than your fx8350. Not worth the hassle man.

5. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3090
    In what world is the 3770K not much faster than an FX8350?

M300, airbud7, BlackZero and 2 others like this.
  6. DSparil

DSparil Guest

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3080
    That's what I was thinking. That sounds like crazy talk to me lol. I mean I know with modern multi-threading that the 8350 has prob caught up the 4-thread i5 3570, but the i7?

7. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Fx 8xxx aged better than i5's. You would be suprised how close it is to sandy and ivy i7.

I just think maybe keeping what you have and putting money towards ryzen and new arch is better choise than doing sidegrades.

8. HARDRESET

HARDRESET Master Guru

GPU:
    4090 ZOTAEA /1080Ti
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2019
  9. DSparil

DSparil Guest

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3080
    Not an option. That would require an entire upgrade including motherboard and memory. I could not use my DDR3 memory. Sadly there’s no Microcenters near here anyway. We had some Tiger Direct stores but they went oob.

I understand peoples angle on this, and they’re saying I shouldn’t waste my money on what could amount to barely an upgrade. The thing is, this isn't costing me any money, as I'd break even after selling off my mobo, board and cooler. It would just require some work and installation.

HARDRESET likes this.
  10. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    If not for added performance then at least do it for fun :)

DSparil likes this.

11. DSparil

DSparil Guest

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3080
    Lol I was thinking that too. It’s been a while since I’ve done a major hardware upgrade, and it would be a bit of fun, Even if the i5 is a lateral move at best. A funny thing also, if I were to do it, this would be my first Intel set up since the P4. Yep, you read that right :eek: I Went straight from a high end Athlon X2 to Piledriver.

12. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    P4, that's a heap of time ago...and the 3570K isn't exactly a newbie. I actually had one a long time ago but sold it in favor of a 6700K which did wonders in games like AC:Unity where the 3570K had serious trouble keeping up. Today it's a different story, my 6700K is weak in several games and holds back my GPU. Now I'll do the opposite to what you did, and that's going AMD. I don't even remember what AMD I had but I think it was one of the K6s and later I think I had a K8 :eek:

DSparil likes this.
  13. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    I wonder if that day you bought ryzen 1700x instead, that 2080ti would not be so bottlenecked. I've noticed you are companing how your 6700k all 8threads are maxed out in Anthem and Division 2.

14. 386SX

386SX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AMD Vega64 RedDevil
    Leaving that here:
    https://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i5-3570K-vs-AMD-FX-8350/1316vs1489

or:
    https://versus.com/en/amd-fx-8350-vs-intel-core-i5-3570k

I would choose the i5 over the FX in this case. With the "k" you can adapt to the clock frequencies and raise it to FX-like levels (or even more).
    And I agree with @Netherwind , you get something to play with. ;-)
    The Z77 mainboard seems to be pretty solid in terms of features and connectivity, at least when comparing to other 1155 / Z77 boards.

https://skinflint.co.uk/msi-z77a-g45-7752-010r-a746836.html

If the FX is your current main system, I would go for it.

DSparil likes this.
  15. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    It wasn't TD2, it was AC:Odyssey (most of the time) and Anthem (in the beginning but load evens out afterwards). I got my 6700K in mid 2016 and 1700X was released a year later if I'm not mistaken.

16. DSparil

DSparil Guest

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3080
    lol, yeah that was eons ago. I don't upgrade very often at all, and usually build a powerful system meant to last years. I go all out, and max out what my budget can handle so I'm not having to upgrade every 2 years. The good news is, I don't play many new games. I have Underworld Ascendant, Quake Champions and may pick up MK11. So most of the games I play (from between 2-6 years ago or straight out retro) should be right in the i5's wheelhouse. That being said, I'm still not 100% on making the switch just yet.There is one thing to consider that we haven't touched on. While I've read that the i5 has more "memory bandwidth", I've also read that the 8350's memory controller is better. It also supports DDR3 1866 with tight timings. I have my memory tweaked nicely! On the i5, I would only get 1600 (from what I'm reading) and may not be able to get my timings quite as tight. Something else to consider...

Honestly, its more about the i7 3770K than the i5 at this point, because if I made the switch, I'd definitely pop the i7 in there sometime this year.

17. 386SX

386SX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AMD Vega64 RedDevil
    2 sticks at 2800MHz in dual channel config mean you get about 44,8GB/s bandwidth (in theory).

If you look at any benchmark, the memory controllers of Intel CPUs tend to have less latency than AMD CPUs.

But regarding your statement you "go all out when buying new stuff", then why do you even consider this platform? (I am just curious)
    Wouldn't your money be better spend on some really new hardware (or at least "last gen" instead of "current gen") to get a better set of features and stuff? I mean ... you spend 100 bucks for a "new" setup, which is from about 2011 - 2013 somewhere. Older tech, older fabrication process, "features from today" missing (which are: more PCIe lanes on chipsets, more SATA or M.2 ports, better USB / LAN controllers, USB 3.0 or 3.1 presence, etc.), takes more power out of the outlet, the availability of spare parts (!!!), the platform you buy is used (for 100 bucks I think so), and so on.
    (For example I am not willed to spend about 400 to 500 Euros (!!!) to get a new socket 2011-0 board to resurrect my old i7-3820! Those started at about 150 to 200 Euros back then!)

And then you state you want to upgrade the platform this year with an i7? For how much are you going to buy this one, probably about 100 bucks, too? Then you may need a better cooler at some point, because if I recall correctly, back then the Intel coolers were not very good and only able to cool CPUs at stock frequency.

Because for 300 - 400 bucks in total you should get a system (mainboard, CPU, cooler, RAM) which is able to perform way faster than your current one, even faster than the i5 system we are talking about right now and at the same time has more features to play with and consumes less power (and therefore "wastes" less, too).

I know I told you to take the i5 earlier (and I am not going to edit my post to hide this), but regarding the new infos you told me I want to change my advice to "please take yourself some time to reconsider if it's worth it". ;)

18. Lucifer

Lucifer Guest

GPU:
    Gainward RTX 2060S
    as a z77a g45 user, I say do it, but it'll better if you can swap the 3570k for 3770k immediately.

DSparil likes this.
  19. CalculuS

CalculuS Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1660Ti
    I would do it only if you play a lot of older games.

The FX is still reaaaally bad for anything older than 2014.

M300 and DSparil like this.
  20. DSparil

DSparil Guest

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3080
    @386SX it doesn't matter if the board supports those memory speeds, the i5 will not. My friend couldn't even get it to boot at 1866. I'm sure the difference between 1600 and 1866 is neglilible, and I'm more interested in the timings than anything. The fact of the matter is, This (Intel) hardware is worth more than what I paid, and I could turn around and sell it for a 50% profit or more. So if I use it or not, it was a good investment. I just really wish it was the 3770K instead lol. And when I said I "go all out" when buying a new system, I meant when I build a new one entirely. This deal just fell on my lap. Otherwise I prob wouldn't upgrade for another year or 2.

Yeah, this is def a higher end mobo than the one I'm currently using. My M5A97 has been really solid, but my FX maxes out at 4.3ghz and I can't get any higher. It's just a 970 chipset, and not a 990FX board.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2019
    Lucifer likes this.