AMD seems to be developing Nintendo NX APU

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jul 17, 2015.

1. Hughesy

Hughesy Guest

GPU:
    MSI Twin Frozr 980
    Same, but commercially they were, GameCube really hurt Nintendo. Both were great consoles (I still have both of them) but they didn't sell enough. It's the same with the Wii U, I love it but again it hasn't sold very well.

2. RavenMaster

RavenMaster Maha Guru

GPU:
    1x RTX 3080 FE
    When i hear the words 'AMD' and 'APU' the phrase 'sub-par technology' comes to mind.

3. Raider0001

Raider0001 Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 7900 XTX Nitro+
    my God look at your PC, i have a questin for u, would u even bother buying NX if it was barely capable of displaying 4K ? like 30/60 fps for 1500$ it probably would came with that mario - ue4

4. Teawithgrief

Teawithgrief Guest

This. A million times this.

These inept kids on tech forums dont realize that they are are an insignificant minority and if companies would make what they want their parents to buy them - those companies would go bankrupt instantly.

Its wishing for expensive custom toys. Do what you want people, but the future always belongs to the technology that the masses will buy, not what a few overprivileged spoiled brats will buy.

Have not seen consoles ever grab again the magic that sega4 or playstation1 had.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 19, 2015

5. RavenMaster

RavenMaster Maha Guru

GPU:
    1x RTX 3080 FE
    Mainly just for the Zelda, Metroid, Smash Bros exclusive games. And a few Ye Olde Virtual Console titles from back in the day. Would be nice to see Nintendo take the market by storm again though. They just need some new talent like what they had with Rareware before they got splintered off into different companies.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2015
  6. (.)(.)

(.)(.) Banned

GPU:
    GTX 970
    You clearly never took the time to look at its library. I regret choosing a ps2 over the cube at the time. Atleast theres emulation now, so im able to enjoy all the games on that.

And considering that the best games i've played over the last few years have been gamecube games...compared to the utter rubbish thats been released on the pc for the last 8.

7. (.)(.)

(.)(.) Banned

GPU:
    GTX 970

So im not allowed to state fact and argue a point using common knowledge that the gamecube has some of the best games to ever be released, without being called a fanboy?

Grow up.

The cube failed simply because nintendo did what they always do (and need to stop doing) and released a console that had a weird format (minidvd) and no dvd playback (unlike what the xbox and ps2 had at the time). Weird format, no dvd playback, next to no marketing outside of the US and Japan. This is what caused the consoles failure.

Idiotic in calling out the last 8 years of the pc's game catalog. Sure, if your a fanboy:rolleyes: i can see you getting offended by my statement. But again, its fact. The PC is an utter joke compared to what it use to be. The console have far more interesting titles than what the pc no has, which is nothing but broken console ports.

As for steam, its great, but the crap thats on there is just beyond a joke. Screw indie, screw early access, screw the PC and its antiquted development platform that makes it pointless to make exclusives for. A two year wait for gtav that pc games devoured like a bunch of starving dogs fighting over scraps. Lol. Yeah.. pc leading the way.

All the PC gaming saviors that the pc master race likes to rub one out over have all said that the pc just simply isnt a viable platform to prioritize and make exclusives for.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2015
  8. (.)(.)

(.)(.) Banned

GPU:
    GTX 970
    :3eyes:

But those "better" versions were not available at the time the gc was released, so thats irrelevant.

As for emulating today. I always choose either the PS2 or GC version simply because they're more stable than the crap port job that developers do.

9. (.)(.)

(.)(.) Banned

GPU:
    GTX 970
    Ah, yeah. Now ill agree that those two are the exception.

10. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    You have no idea what the heck you are talking about. Sales wise the GameCube was terrible but the system its self was not.

11. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    Timesplitters 2 on the Gamecube was awesome.

Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell was cool too, The Resident Evil Remake also, Gamecube was the last console I actually purchased haha//

Saying the Gamecube had no good games other than Nintendo exclusives does nothing but show you are talking out your own ass... there are lots of Non Nintendo games on the Gamecube that are and still remain to be good games.

Twilight Princess was my favorite Nintendo game for the Gamecube.. Midna was a stupid sexy shortstack *__*

12. INSTG8R

INSTG8R Guest

GPU:
    Nitro+ 5700XT
    I will always remember playing Rainbow 6 on N64. It was just so slick and the usage of the controller was awesome.

13. Raider0001

Raider0001 Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 7900 XTX Nitro+
    What they have to realise too is the fact that making a good 1080p 3D games costs a fortune and those have to sold well, when they are not, price grows and when that happens 3rd party games have to look nice to even begin selling anything but how ? to justify their price they stick to graphics instead of a good gameplay. I have seen too many quantity over quality games in many years and I chose:
    Borderlands series over Call Of Duty series
    in the sandbox aera:
    Witcher 3 over Grand Theft Auto 5
    in mobile:
    Dungeon Hunter 1,2 over 3,4
    in multiplayer:
    Diablo 3 over World Of Warcraft
    fps:
    Doom 3 over Rage
    platformer:
    Crash Bandicoot 1,2,3 over Crash of the Titans, Crash Mind over Mutant

For that reason I would chose Nintendo Wii U over Playstation 4 for my child if I could afford it when I had a child.
    Nintendo is trying to sell a cheaper console for AAA titles that aren't always the best games out there, they were barely fitting in there with Wii U when there was no PS4 and X1, they will try with another one but while they cannot afford to develop a secure system, they will innovate yet another simple complication like a 3D stereoscopic, dual screen, gravity based controllers, hardware that creates emulation pointless and developing it is long and hard and console always ends up in shops way after the competition . If they cannot develop a secure system they will fail again and again until they die. My simple solution is to develop way cheaper console with way cheaper games in order to create piracy pointless, affordable for everyone. (start fresh)

Last edited: Jul 20, 2015
  14. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    That's for sure for both points. But in 2016 there should be enough of HBM1 and good enough volume of HBM2.

And it pretty much depends on what kind of device Nintendo has in mind. If it is hand held, then power efficiency is The Thing.
    If they go with 2 HBM chips design 240~320GB/s (kind of overkill) based on clock, they can create development samples any time, just limited to 2GB of ram for now. But it would allow early development. And show final battery life if device is to be mobile.

I personally guess that nintendo will go with lowest capacity of HBM2 chips, will use 2 for decent bandwidth and it will have 4GB of shared ram. I do not expect them to want PS4 like device, not much their thing. And competing in already heavy fight between PS4 & XBOne will not give them big profit. I think they'll target bit different audience and entertainment type.

May be interesting device and I hope AMD will use best power efficiency IP if they go for mobile.

15. Raider0001

Raider0001 Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 7900 XTX Nitro+
    About that article of Nintendo in Poland, language issue is not really an issue I played most of my childhood in English (didn't know anything about English back then). I even consider myself lucky to get all of those consoles in my life but look even when I did have a console, my family wasn't rich enough to buy me a game constantly - that is a life struggle putting game in the last place of needs, I know how evil it is to pirate a game but it is even worse for Nintendo for not trying to sell anything in here - they disappeared, kids in here don't even know what Mario is. If they could deliver a stationary 299PLN console here...

this is the target to fix my country>
    [​IMG]
    ill translate what's written in here
    "2600 shops Ladybug in whole Poland" map showing 1 city