AMD Ryzen Zen 4 CPUs and Radeon RX RDNA 3 GPUs Coming in 2022

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jul 28, 2021.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. GSDragoon

GSDragoon Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD Radeon RX 6800
    So we might have a chance to buy them starting near the second half of 2023, at the earliest?

3. Kaarme

Kaarme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070 FE
    Seeing how the prices of the current gen video cards aren't dropping at all, I guess I will have to move my expectations on to the next generation.

olymind1 and Silva like this.
  4. Venix

Venix Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Rtx 4070 super
    what i am afraid is that they will keep the same msrp for +20-30% perfomance on the same products and if the 200% + we hear is true they will make a new tier Titan + and sell it on those new prices .... i hope i am wrong :(

Kaarme likes this.

5. Silva

Silva Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual RX580 O4G
    I don't believe whatever those 200% imply.
    I do believe prices will either hold or go up until demand goes below supply.

Venix and Kaarme like this.
  6. vestibule

vestibule Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon RX6600XT
    Yes, it is true and comes as a surprise and disappointment as there is a UK e-taler who in the past always sold RRP with what ever was going on in the market with new stock, but not anymore.
    I recall getting my 1070 from them @ rrp at the last bit coin high and second hand gpu prices was high on e-bay.

Venix and Kaarme like this.
  7. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS R9 290
    I suspect pricing and availability will be better than RDNA2. Zen was made much cheaper because of the CCX/chiplet design, because they could make more usable product per wafer. Binned dies could still be combined to make a better product. It's extremely cost-effective when you can combine 2 mediocre parts into something desirable.
    GPU dies tend to be much larger, so depending how small the chiplets are, I wouldn't be surprised if AMD can double their yield of high-end parts.

8. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Still so long down the road.

9. RED.Misfit

RED.Misfit Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1080 Gaming X
    And we don't know what they'll pu onto CPUs or GPUs.

Okay CPUs is 5nm acquired for the chiplet, the I/O 6nm is not confirmed (they still have Glofo 12nm to manufacture for something until another revision of the agreement)
    GPU could still be on the "7nm" line with the "6nm" revision from TSMC. If that is the case, they'll at least have 2 different production line, which could allow for more supply ? The Three 7nm products at the same time didn't helped since november 2020, Epyc+Ryzen (i know it is the same, but they don't ship to the same customer) and Navi 2. I hope this time they will have a minimum delay between product to launch to allow more quantity of each in the initial batch because they're going to put Genoa, Raphäel and Navi 3 on the same year again, hopefully not everyone in Q4 2022 !

10. cpy2

cpy2 Member Guru

GPU:
    Ti 4600
    If we had proper worldwide right to repair, we wouldn't make so much e-waste and we wouldn't need to buy so much gosh darn electronics and we wouldn't be in so much shortage of parts like we are in now!
    Spread the word of right to repair, we need less e-waste, more lifetime of our devices!

Silva, Stormyandcold and DarkQuark like this.

11. DarkQuark

DarkQuark Member Guru

GPU:
    AMD 5700 XT
  12. Alessio1989

Alessio1989 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Well, they should start rising warranty at least to 2 years in a lot of countries like it is in Europe.. They tried to rise it to 3 years in EU, but so far no results :\

13. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Black 6950XT
    Pricing is going to be determined by demand not by how much it costs to make the GPU.

And with AMD and Nvidia realising that some people don´t mind paying more than before to get a GPU, i don´t feel optimistic about the prices of the next GPUs from both camps...

Our only hope seems to be Intel but i don´t believe they are going to be that competitive at their first attempt.

14. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS R9 290
    Yes, it is very much based on how much it costs to make the GPU. Otherwise, they wouldn't do it this way - the multi-chip design is inferior in terms of performance, but the minimal performance deficit is well worth the immense cost savings and higher yield, which trickles down to consumers. Why do you think Intel has no response to Epyc, where they have CPUs with half the cores at double the price? The only reason AMD can make a 64-core CPU and make it so [relatively] cheap despite demand is strictly because of the way it is made.
    Like I said, GPUs (up until next gen) have very large monolithic dies. Shrinking transistors solves the problem of fitting more usable dies per wafer, but it doesn't solve the problem of disabling large chunks of the die because of a single defect, which makes pristine dies extremely valuable (hence Intel's conundrum). The chiplet design allows even more usable product per-wafer (even though the transistor count for a single processor could otherwise be the same), allows more high-end products to be made, and takes defective products and makes them more profitable than they ever would have been.
    By keeping up with demand, prices start to drop. By lowering manufacturing costs, pricing can be more competitive.

I don't think either company is stupid enough to not realize that the only reason people are paying exorbitant prices is because of scalpers and miners. The RTX 2000 series did not sell well at MSRP because people complained it cost too much. So, Nvidia lowered the prices for next-gen. Then mining became popular again.

They have to be, since people are still judging Intel's graphics performance from impressions back when motherboards had both a northbridge and southbridge. Meanwhile, the first releases of Xe have had underwhelming results thanks to bad Windows drivers (their Linux drivers have been good for a while, proving the architecture is good, but nobody cares about that). Intel can't afford to screw this up, so, being price-competitive is an easy way to win customers over.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2021
  15. Venix

Venix Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Rtx 4070 super
    Rumors go up to 300% either way i would personally find even 100% hard to believe ...but since i have 0 clue what the next cards will perform like , i am just making speculations ... A "what if those rumors are true" speculative scenario about their pricing . :p

16. Stormyandcold

Stormyandcold Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3080ti Founders
    Really exciting times ahead from the big 4. However, availability is the key. i.e. It's pointless to flaunt a product that could sell 15-20million when only 2-5million can be made.

17. mackintosh

mackintosh Maha Guru

GPU:
    lmao where are people pulling these supposed performance gains from? Why on Earth would any big manufacturer release a GPU with twice or thrice the performance of the current crop of cards. It makes zero business sense. Maybe as an extremely limited run to milk those with more money than common sense, but mainstream? Come on. COME ON.

18. JamesSneed

JamesSneed Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070
    A 2x frame rate increase has happened a few times especially if you look at 1440p and 4K for those increases. I recall the Radeon HD 5970 beating the 4870 by 2x at higher res.
    It makes a ton of business since if you make your card go considerably faster than your competitors then everyone is buying your merchandise.

tunejunky likes this.
  19. JamesSneed

JamesSneed Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070
    The rumor mill is saying end of 2021 or very early 2022.

DarkQuark likes this.
  20. DarkQuark

DarkQuark Member Guru

GPU:
    AMD 5700 XT

That seems really close to the release of Zen 4 which I think they mentioned in that article was Q2 2022.