AMD Ryzen Threadripper 3960X, 3970X and 3990X Launch Dates Leak

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Oct 18, 2019.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    warlord and Embra like this.
  2. siriq

siriq Guest

GPU:
    Evga GTX 570 Classified
    The beasts are coming, nothing will stop'em .

Mesab67, Undying and warlord like this.
  3. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    64c/128t cpu damn, talking about kicking competition while they are down.

Mesab67 and warlord like this.
  4. warlord

warlord Guest

GPU:
    Null
    That's what we call an ultra future proof cpu. And with pciex 4.0 you would stop caring for five whole years.

Undying likes this.

5. I'm looking everywhere for the posted clocks and can't find them confirmed anywhere just rumors of them; but these release dates look solid (the videocardz source)

Have we seen anything yet on Operating frequency?

6. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS R9 290
    Depends on what your outlook of PCIe 5.0 and 6.0 looks like. For me personally, I'll still be satisfied with 3.0 in the foreseeable future.

386SX, rl66 and Deleted member 213629 like this.
  7. 3.0 has lasted this long. It platformed initially on ... hmm Ivy bridge for consumers.... 2012, 7 years ago. Long life-span & still in use; GPUs, addon cards peripherals etc still use it as industry standard.

8. siriq

siriq Guest

GPU:
    Evga GTX 570 Classified
    I am still on 2.0

HARDRESET and 386SX like this.
  9. Gee not even 2.1?? :eek: o_O :mad::mad:

10. siriq

siriq Guest

GPU:
    Evga GTX 570 Classified
    All PCI Express slots conform to PCI Express 2.0 Standard

11. nvmnd... guess we were both joking perhaps?

12. siriq

siriq Guest

GPU:
    Evga GTX 570 Classified
    Nope, that is what i have. 2.0 .

rl66 likes this.
  13. 2.0 2.1 3.0 .... ? all after 2.0 are 2.0 compliant all before 2.1 aren't post 2.0 compliant. So when you said I have 2.0; I said oh... not even 2.1 - I was pretty much joking. There's little room for confusion.

14. D3M1G0D

D3M1G0D Guest

GPU:
    2 x GeForce 1080 Ti
    I dunno, I'm still skeptical on a 64c/128t desktop processor. Even for power users, I can't imagine anyone needing that much computing power - it's more of a want at this point rather than a need (on a completely unrelated note, I really want this computing power :D).

It's amazing, really. I thought a 16-core CPU was outrageous in 2017. Now, they seem outdated. Two years from now, 256-core CPUs will be released and 64-core CPUs will seem quaint.

386SX likes this.
  15. wavetrex

wavetrex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TUF 6800XT OC
    Mmmm... nope.
    Zen 3 according to recent "leaks" will not have any increase in core counts whatsoever, but it will be more efficient (higher IPC) and also clocking faster (refined process)
    Zen 4 could have a new redesign which might or might not increase core counts, but speculators seem to think this is the one that will push beyond 2x SMT (so the number of threads can increase, but not the core count).

In any case, 256-core CPU in 2021-2022 is VERY unlikely, borderline impossible.

16. rl66

rl66 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 6700 XT
    I read everywhere that PCIe 4.0 will have a very short life, and that both AMD and Intel are working hard on PCIe 5.0 .
    Also Ryzen 3x00 + 5700XT on asus B450 (and so in 3.0) compared to asus X570 (and so in 4.0) make me feel that the 4.0 bring almost nothing in this particular point.

And i am sure that you feel comfortable with it :)
    When you see that some GPU put "PCIe 3.0" in their package but when you see that the card is lined in X8 once unboxed, you definitively doesn't need 3.0.

17. SamuelL421

SamuelL421 Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 / RTX 5000
    FYI - I test GPUs in my backup system (x58, PCIe 2). There isn’t any perceivable bottleneck with PCIe 2.0x16 and any current GPUs. The older CPU would be a limiting factor in plenty of applications but the PCIe bandwidth isn’t a problem. In the past year I tested a 1080ti and 2080ti in it prior to tearing them down for waterblocks. Essentially the same as dropping either card into a PCIe3.0x8 slot.

HARDRESET and 386SX like this.
  18. blkspade

blkspade Master Guru

GPU:
    Leadtek Nvidia Geforce 6800 GT 256MB
    The thing is, there are workloads that can benefit from the increase of available bandwidth, they just aren't common to the average user. The Navi cards supposedly can utilize excess bandwidth in video encoding, for example. Think of USB 3.0+. Most people can appreciate 1 or 2 ports for that exact number of devices that can actually use the bandwidth, but we still get a ton more ports. All the extras provide bandwidth and power for a larger number of lower end devices through hubs. I've got 3 hubs hooked to my PC. While a bit more involved, and very not the norm, you can segment a pci-e slot.

It won't matter if it's superseded faster than usual if today's common use cases still have to grow in to needing 4.0's level of bandwidth. 5.0 merely existing, won't make 4.0 immediately obsolete.

19. Borys

Borys Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Gaming X
    Man... I honestly ask you... what Intel can do to even try to compete with those CPUs??? At this moment, the blue chip cost double and delivery half of the performance of this new CPUs... things must change hard there or the market will invert completly and very fast!

20. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    To be fair, we don't know what the costs are yet.