AMD Ryzen R7 lineup of 8-core 16-thread CPU Prices Revealed

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Feb 8, 2017.

1. coth

coth Master Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 2060 Super EX
    Even if 1700X is comparable to 7700K then 1800X with just 200 more MHz is comparable to 6800K, not to 6900K.

2. sarsar

sarsar Member

GPU:
    XFX RX 480 RS 8 GB
    I really want to buy a Ryzen equivalent of the 7700k but not at 470 Euro. I still need to buy a new motherboard and a RX480 and i don't have the money.

If the R7 1700 has the same performance or 5 % better than the 6700k/7700k but at the same price i don't see why a reason to buy it for it's 8c / 16th.

Why not sale the R1700 at 290-300 Euro so that they could compete with the 6700k/7700k ? They can manage to sell the R1800 x half the price of the 6900k but they can overcharge on the gaming top-end?

3. xrodney

xrodney Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Eagle
    In single thread 7700k is going to be definitely faster as it clocks higher and zen have most likely little bit less IPC. In multithread 7700k is going to be murdered by 8c/16t.

Overchanrge ? How ? It have twice as many cores and overall performance is like ~180% that of 7700k.

When you make product to compete with competition its not allways 1:1 in all parameters.

4. cocopipi

cocopipi Member

GPU:
    strongest

That's how a proper cpu scaling tests should be done:

Battlefield 1: http://www.techspot.com/review/1267-battlefield-1-benchmarks/page4.html

Gears of war 4: http://www.techspot.com/review/1263-gears-of-war-4-benchmarks/page4.html

Overwatch: http://www.techspot.com/review/1180-overwatch-benchmarks/page5.html

Doom: http://www.techspot.com/review/1173-doom-benchmarks/page5.html

Rise of the Tomb Rider: http://www.techspot.com/review/1128-rise-of-the-tomb-raider-benchmarks/page5.html

Star wars battlefront: http://www.techspot.com/review/1096-star-wars-battlefront-benchmarks/page3.html

Fallout 4: http://www.techspot.com/review/1089-fallout-4-benchmarks/page5.html

GTA V: http://www.techspot.com/review/991-gta-5-pc-benchmarks/page6.html

5. Zooke

Zooke Master Guru

GPU:
    3090FE + EK Block
    We have to see real world performance for comparisons, only then can we judge the price points.

I want AMD to be better and cheaper than Intel just for the competition aspect, but right now we simply do not have enough information.

Here's hoping AMD actually have the real deal with Ryzen.

6. Toss3

Toss3 Member Guru

GPU:
    WC Inno3D GTX 980 TI
    How did you come to the conclusion that the 8/16 version would be the equivalent of the 4 core 8 thread 7700k? You should be looking at the top end 4 core 8 threaded models. These won't match intel's top CPUs in most applications, but should be quite a bit cheaper (and you probably won't even notice the difference in games with an RX480). Here we are getting 8 cores and 16 threads for the SAME price as an Intel 4 core 8 thread CPU and people are whining! Wth is wrong with you guys? :cheers: If this comes within 10% of Intel's high end models, this would be a steal at this price!

7. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 6800XT GamingX
    If those prices are real can't wait to see the R5 pricing and ofc performance.

Looks like Ryzen could be extremely sweet for upgrading to more-than-4-cores territory. The cheapest R7 isn't too expensive either.

Even R5 with 12 threads would be 3 x 4 threads of i5. Considering DX12 and Vulkan and as newest games in general use multiple cores this is exciting!

Last edited: Feb 9, 2017
  8. Valken

Valken Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Forsa 1060 3GB Temp GPU
    Interesting and prices actually looks competitive this time around.

But I have to agree with the guy who wants a high ipc + ghz cpu over cores. I play ARMA and that game is cpu cpu cpu... I would gladly trade my cpu and mb for 6+ GHZ with equivalent IPC dual core just for ARMA. There are still enough games out there that are ipc hogs.

9. Lane

Lane Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x HD7970 - EK Waterblock
    you need to compare core / threads.. and mhz.. not mhz alone.

10. Lane

Lane Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x HD7970 - EK Waterblock
    Because the one who will compete with quadcore 7700K in price and perf are the quadcore Ryzen ... not the 8 cores.... ( or the 6 cores who know ).

6-8-12 cores cpu have traditionally a lower boost core speed due the fact they have more cores and need to sustain them at a rated TDP ..

At contrario, quadcore with less cores are able to have an higher clock speed / turbo speed... But a quadcore, whatever it is core speed, will never match a 6 or 8 cores in multi-threaded appliccations.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2017

11. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    You realize he's putting 8 cores at the same frequency vs 8 cores at the same frequency, right? :infinity:

Also games like Fallout 4 and GTA V are not exactly multithreaded paradigms, and they are either old, or based on ancient engines.

12. xrodney

xrodney Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Eagle
    You and many others assume everyone is just doing 100% gamming which is just plain wrong.

For me its like 40% gamming, 60% other stuff and within that other stuff 4C is just not enough now and that would be even 10 times worse in 5 years I expect to be using new build.

13. coth

coth Master Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 2060 Super EX
    Same number of cores and threads and presumably everything else is same as well.

14. Toss3

Toss3 Member Guru

GPU:
    WC Inno3D GTX 980 TI
    What? Where did I assume "everyone is just doing 100% gamming"? I just responded to the person above saying the 1700 would be the equivalent of the 7700K, which it of course isn't. That is why I told him to look at 4c/8t processors instead, as those are aimed more toward gaming and should be cheaper too (don't know why people are looking at the prices of these 8c/16t CPUs and going "zomg these are just like those pesky intel prices" when they are in fact MUCH lower).

I'm very excited about getting 8c/16t at this price, especially if they perform at the same level as my current haswell 4770k (IPC). For me gaming is pretty much irrelevant, although it is of course a nice plus.

15. PrMinisterGR

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    Even if it's 100% gaming, more cores/threads are better at this point.

16. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    Agreed. Playing BDO, my 4 cores are over 90% most of the time.

17. PrMinisterGR

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    Same for some friends with 6600k and Battlefield One. Weird stutters sometimes that my 2600k doesn't get.

18. mattm4

mattm4 Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X
    And to further this argument... Hilbert test show the same thing, @1080p you see a decent increase in frames (still not huge) But at 2k and 4k, almost no difference between the two, which techspot didn't even show, because I'm sure they yielded the same results.

19. gx-x

gx-x Maha Guru

GPU:
    1070Ti Phoenix
    running WinRAR benchmark, my cores are all @ 100%. Same with prime95 etc. What if I added 100 more cores and ran those tests? Oh shoot, they would all be at 100% again :S I guess I need a quantum CPU...oh shoot...100% again...

that could literally be attributed to 100 other things than number of cores. FX series shows us that more cores and more mhz =/= more fps. The only sure thing to get you more fps for your money is better GPU. /end. Now would you rather sit on your i5 whatever and replace your 970/280x with 300-400$ card, or replace the CPU for an i7 or ryzen and sit on that old gpu? I wouldn't think twice about it...

Last edited: Feb 12, 2017
  20. PrMinisterGR

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    SMT means that the modern asset streaming engines of games can utilize idle parts of the pipeline. An i5 and an i7 could both be at "100%" (whatever that means for the actual hardware), and the i7 would be certainly faster.