AMD Ryzen Processors reach 5 GHz On Air

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Dec 29, 2016.

1. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    If parts of the chip get to 5GHz, that sounds like a 4.4-4.7 for a normal, properly cooled setup to me. Which would be more than great. As for Polaris reaching 1.6GHz, that was just Wcccraptech "i-need-to-pay-the-rent" rumors.

Wait for proper tests from reliable sources, but the CPU is shaping up great.

2. Humanoid_1

Humanoid_1 Guest

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080 X Trio
    oh, now that is interesting to me.
    Much as I did not want to admit it I was considering sticking with my ageing pre-Sandy gen Xeon 6c/12t CPU which easily does more than 4GHz until Zen+ arrived...

As many here have said, 4.5GHz is on Zen is tempting and I would go with that, if it can really make 5GHz on a good water loop (let alone air) without too much stress that would more than sweeten the deal and make me blow my wad early :banana:

This CPU & GPU generation certainly is quite a fun ride ^_^

3. mohiuddin

mohiuddin Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX670 4gb ll RX480 8gb
    Well, it turns out that .. that air cooled 5GHZ rumor was on one core. Still impressive for a A0 step ES with pre-release motherboard.
    http://www.cpchardware.com/cpc-hardware-n31-precisions-elucubrations/

4. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    The quote you mentioned explicitly mentioned the VRMs being part of the problem. I'm still not hopeful about 5GHz on 8 cores, but considering both the motherboard and CPU were engineering samples, it still shows this new architecture can sure take handle a hefty load.

5. mohiuddin

mohiuddin Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX670 4gb ll RX480 8gb
    I saw that. Actually I got it from OCN threads.
    I'm interested to know which 14nm in particular they used.

6. PrMinisterGR

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    It's GloFo all the way.

7. RooiKreef

RooiKreef Guest

GPU:
    MSI RTX3080 Ventus
    Honestly I will not keep my hopes up for all cores @ 5Ghz. I don't think this will be easy to hit that frequency with a 8 core cpu on air. Think about it guys, why will AMD clock their CPU so low @ 3.4Ghz if there is a 1.6Ghz gap? This sounds a bit fishy to me. Either that sample was one of the best scenario out there or it is running 1 core @ 5Ghz. For me personally they will be a bit better than what Intel has on the table, or at least on par with Intel 8 Core CPU's and honestly if Intel CPU's hit around 4.4Ghz stable on a water OC then I don't see how AMD is going to stretch it that much further on air. But at the end who knows, I might be all wrong and this is one beast of a CPU and AMD is going to launch the final product with much higher stock clocks. Hell they might be fooling with all of us and make these engineering samples low clock and shock us all on the day of launch with higher clocks.

8. Ryu5uzaku

Ryu5uzaku Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800 XT
    TDP and no need for faster as it seems to match similarly clocked 6900K and it's more safe bet then try to have really high frequency for all chips?

9. __hollywood|meo

__hollywood|meo Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6700xt @2.7ghz
    quite right. lets see wat happens on a proper mobo. instabilities due to VRM fluctuations or overheating have nothing to do with the cpu silicon frequency ceiling. at such high clock speed, of course both issues were at play; im sure quite a bit of voltage was pumped through it. however it seems as if the board just crapped out.

im not saying i think zen is capable of miracles, but if this interesting tidbit is anything to go on...we very well may find that once the mobo manufacturers cobble together something sturdier, & AMD irons out their silicon kinks...4+ghz will be no problem...

makes me wonder if i should grab a chip when they come out & see how far i can take it. i have an ex360 radiator w/ panaflos; despite my 7970s fairly significant overvoltage, my wc loop has a LOT of headroom left~

Last edited: Dec 31, 2016
  10. PrMinisterGR

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    Sandy had 3.4GHz default clock yet it easily clocked 4.4GHz+ on air.

11. Elder III

Elder III Guest

GPU:
    6900 XT Nitro+ 16GB
    Does anyone know anything about the AM4 socket being compatible with current CPU coolers? I'm guessing it's not compatible, but some companies may offer some kind of adapter that would make current CPU coolers work? I'm trying to decide whether to slap my AiO on my i7 6700K rig or save it in hopes of being Zen compatible...

12. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    Same as AM3 socket isn't it?

13. jura11

jura11 Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3090 NvLink
    What I know socket will be definitely different and will be not compatible with current cooler mountings

Like Noctua or Cryorig will offer I'm pretty sure mountings, what I know

Corsair or EK hard to say if they offer free upgrade kits

Hope this helps

Thanks, Jura

14. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    Actually, it has been explicitly reported that AM4 will be compatible with heatsinks, going all the way back to socket 754.

15. Elder III

Elder III Guest

GPU:
    6900 XT Nitro+ 16GB
    Really? I thought I had read differently. If that's the case I've got a pretty decent Enermax AiO that should do nicely for a modest OC once I get my paws on a chip.... it worked wonderfully for my i7 3770K, so it should handle Ryzen's heat output I think.

16. __hollywood|meo

GPU:
    6700xt @2.7ghz
    thermalrights german facebook page said over the summer that AM4 would have the same mounting holes as AM2/AM3. they then issued a correction soon afterwards, saying older coolers would require a mounting adapter of some kind; seems theyve altered the socket slightly, but how remains unclear. im a bit disappointed by this - ill likely have to unplug some tubing to swap out retention brackets for my waterblock. pain in the ass...

17. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    I'd post a URL for a source buy it keeps getting sensored for whatever reason.

But look up "am4 heatsink" in Google and you'll find evidence that older models will work.

I hope they work because I already bought a 3rd party heatsink...

Last edited: Jan 1, 2017
  18. __hollywood|meo

GPU:
    6700xt @2.7ghz
    if its wccfcraptech, i dont buy it. they post garbage 24/7. i wont even go to their site :p i did google that exact phrase & found a bunch of pages all sourcing back to the same thermalright rep statement, which was later revised...

i know for a fact noctua has produced an AM4 mounting "upgrade kit", so this further reinforces my suspicion that the mm spacing has been altered, not just the plastic retention/socket bracketry. but thats neither here nor there...im digressing quite a bit :)

19. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    Socket AM4 is compatible with existing AM3 and AM2 coolers.

20. Sabbilon

Sabbilon Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 960 and Asus 760
    Not all AM3 cooler brackets will work with am4. Die is still 40x40mm. Through board holes spacing has changed. Cooler retention bars have been redesigned to allow stock wraith cooler to work with am4 and am3. Most coolers that engage the bars will work. Beware of cheap motherboards without back plate as different force will be created in board do to bar redesign.

Alphacool Eisblock XPX CPU - Intel/AMD now supports AM4
    The manual now shows the AMD bracket slotted for the new AM4 mounting hole positions.

MSI Core Frozr L is reported as supporting AM4 listed in specs and/or features. Looking at mounting instructions you can see similar slot allowing for both 96 x 48 and 90 x 54 (approx.) in the back plate.