AMD Ryzen Processors reach 5 GHz On Air

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Dec 29, 2016.

1. Unilythe

Unilythe Active Member

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X
    I might just wait for Ryzen rather than buying the new Kaby Lake then.

I'd be severely disappointed if this is way overhyped again though. I already am very cynical, but now that AMD said that they won't overhype it this time, if it still proves to be I think they may have lost me as a customer for a long while.

2. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX980Ti OC
    Why would you buy Kabylake with your 4970K anyway?

Imo at least true 8core to somehow call it a proper upgrade or don't bother. :)

3. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6900xt / RTX3090
    Good news all around , we still @ the waiting game ...

4. Elder III

Elder III Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6900 XT Nitro+ 16GB
    That certainly sounds appealing. Considering that I would be pretty happy with a 4.0-4.2 ghz oc on decent air cooling I'll consider this rumor to be somewhat promising (even with the mandatory salt shaker included).

5. Unilythe

Unilythe Active Member

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X
    Because I bought the Corsair Dominator Platinum Special Edition DDR4 months back and it's sitting on my desk doing nothing because the 4790k is DDR3 :bang:

Otherwise you'd have a very good point. I probably wouldn't do it were it not for the DDR4, but I decided to just create a completely new build with a chrome/nickel theme and a full custom waterloop. It's the first time I'll build a PC from scratch rather than replacing parts one-by-one when needed, so I'm quite excited about it as well.

6. Dr. Vodka

Dr. Vodka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 290 Tri-X
    Hi. Long time no see.

It's strange of you Hilbert not to credit where you got the news of the easter egg in the CanardPC publication, or where the magazine's picture as confirmation of the digital version came from. Doing it the WCCFtech way, I suppose. Here it is.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/5krghq/remember_the_canard_pc_magazine_about_zen_it_has/

It's certainly exciting. Only a week to go for CES! AMD will be there.

I'm pretty sure Intel is following all of this with lots of attention.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2016
  7. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX980Ti OC
    I see, fair enough. But still wait 2-3more months its not that long.

If Ryzen doesn't deliver to your expectations then try X99 or better yet upcoming X299 Skylake-X platform..
    http://www.guru3d.com/news-story/intel-skylake-x-series-cpu-photo-surfaces.html

Still a long way to go though, Ryzen will be out sooner.

Mainstream Z270 is imo not worth it, since its just another 4core..

8. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    On the top of the page it says "source" which links to the reddit thread.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2016
  9. EdInk

EdInk Active Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 (H20)
    Hype Intensifies it's nice to hear some buzz about it...as always some will be heartbroken n blame AMD if it doesn't happen.

I won't be surprised if AMD put a higher markup on price than anticipated if it achieves this.

10. nz3777

nz3777 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gtx 980 Strix
    Good find and Great news! I am also waiting to upgrade-Hope ( Zen ) does not let us down. Nz

11. Unilythe

Unilythe Active Member

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X
    I'm using it mainly for gaming though, and then Kaby Lake is simply going to be giving better performance than X99 whilst also being less expensive.

That's why I'm willing to wait for Ryzen; If it really overclocks this well then with a custom waterloop it might actually perform better in gaming overclocked than Kaby Lake, whilst also being an octacore. That'd be very exciting!

12. Amx85

Amx85 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI R7-260X2GD5/OC
    4.30 is enought for me but if the IPC is between Haswell and Broadwell i will not apply 24/7 OC, actually i "upgraded" to FX8320E a Hexa Core Zen sounds great

13. superzeus

superzeus Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3070 FW3 U
    the hype is real omg!!

14. superzeus

superzeus Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3070 FW3 U
    wait for it guys hope amd dont scrub up all as usual .

15. theoneofgod

theoneofgod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    Blame heat! :)

16. ladcrooks

ladcrooks Master Guru

GPU:
    DECIDING
    Have read many posts on many forums , hype will always exist, and those that moan about hype can either not carry on reading the post or have some hope!

I myself want to believe. I have even sold my i7-6700K and put the funds to my next major build - Zen! If this turns out to be a flop, then a few boxes of tissues are already put by. :cry:

I myself do not even need a 8 core, but i just cannot help myself! As said in another post, my gaming desires change like the wind. FC3 seems to bring me back, and the winter months. Turn the heating on to full capacity, t shirt off, and I'm there sweating on them islands, hunting and helping the locals. Do like that pump action :flip2:

17. SirDremor

SirDremor Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 1050
    :bang: When will this end!?!!!

18. Deathchild

Deathchild Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    If we can get a 6950X style cpu for half the price then that's a winner already.

19. bombardier

bombardier Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Ti GAMING
    Nice. F**K intel.

20. vandenplas

vandenplas Guest

wait and see

Polaris was rumoured to be oc'able to up to 1.6GHz... That's not so long ago.
    The first samples in July 2016 could barely reach 1.3GHz.
    It took several more months until AMD was able to supply Polaris chips that were much more efficient from a TDP point of view and able to easily reach clock speeds of 1.5GHz on air.

As much as I wished that Ryzen would be oc'able to up to 5GHz, I would be happy if it did 4.5GHz stable on air. Anything less than 4GHz would be a disappointment, regardless of the recent rumours.

I hope AMD is not going to repeat the same mistake again by setting too high expectations through all kinds of rumours that would result in a widespread disappointment among performance enthusiasts the very same day the chips get released and independently tested.