AMD Ryzen Processors Drop in Price Significantly

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jun 2, 2017.

1. Fox2232

Fox2232 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    @PrMinisterGR: No, you are not using any drivers made by him since he is missing "Screw" in his nick :)

2. jortego128

jortego128 Member Guru

GPU:
    AMD RX 580 4GB
    Ran a few 7 zip comparisons between my i5 2500 and R7 1700. I'm not sure why some are saying theres a problem? The R7 is almost 3x faster when testing at max threads compared to the i5.

Also, not sure why, but the x64 version of 7 zip allows you to pick double the threads your proc is actually capable of-- it was the fastest for each chip, so that's what I chose. I have no idea why it does this, the i5 should max at 4 threads and the R7 at 16.

Single threaded, the i5 is a bit faster-- but my R7 is very squirrelly about boosting single threaded apps-- many times it doesn't boost to 3.7. So I used Ryzen Master to lock all cores to 3.5 and ran single threaded. The result is almost identical performance to the i5, which does usually boost properly to 3.5 as it should.

I find it hard to believe a non-hyperthreaded i5 7600 is running the same speed as R7 1700 in the multithreaded test. If we are going to claim that, lets see some proof...

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 5, 2017
  3. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    Thanks for this. You're basically confirming the numbers of every serious tech site out there.

4. NAMEk

NAMEk Master Guru

GPU:
    Gainward/GTX560/2GB
    Disable SMT or so called virtual threads in BIOS. If possible.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2017