AMD Ryzen price reductions last until December 2nd

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Nov 22, 2017.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Last Monday we reported about massive price reductions on Ryzen processors, up-to 30% discounts. Example, you can purchase an 8-core flagship Ryzen 7 1800X processor (normally €499) for roug...

AMD Ryzen price reductions last until December 2nd

2. fl2015

fl2015 Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070 SC
    I bagged a 1600 for £136 on amazon (150 euros for perspective), I wasn't going to touch ryzen (summit ridge at least) but at that price makes it a nice little stop gap until the next zen revisions.

3. airbud7

airbud7 Guest

GPU:
    pny gtx 1060 xlr8
    36% off here to/ Wow that's a good deal...

[​IMG]

4. icedman

icedman Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI MECH RX 6750XT
    Just ordered 2 Ryzen 5 1600's one for myself and one for a customer for 230$cad each or 180$us, I was going to hold off on buying one for myself but at that price i couldn't resist.

5. kruno

kruno Master Guru

GPU:
    4890/1
    They are probably clearing inventory before zen+ arrives,but man what a deals if somebody at the start of this year told me that before the year ends you could buy 8c/16t processor for 300$,i would have think he is on a good road to loonie house:):):)

6. fry178

fry178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 2080S WB
    R7 1700 is 260US$ on amazon..

7. MikeMK

MikeMK Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX 4090
    Well, I just jumped on a threadripper 1950x - cant wait to see what it can do, it my first AMD chip since Athlon 64 days :)

8. signex

signex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Ti
    Just bought the 1700x as well when i saw the prices. Didn't know there was a price reduction.

I aimed for a 1700 this month, not sure if the 1700x is much faster though.

HonoredShadow and chispy like this.
  9. tunejunky

tunejunky Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7900xtx/7900xt
    extremely clever marketing by bringing Europe into the "black friday" sales. thereby getting more folks into the AMD camp...
    the very big plus is that all the new AM4 mobo's are forward compatible, meaning upgrades for the new folks are going to be very reasonable... that shiny new rig can just have that latest Ryzen+ (or 2...whatever) popped right in without worry.

10. Vananovion

Vananovion Member Guru

GPU:
    Radeon RX 6800 16GB
    If the rumors of an early refresh are true, I might just replace my 1600x and use it for an SFF build. Not that I need it, but I want to get some experience building SFF. I'll either give it away or use it as a media center later on.

11. Jagman

Jagman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    16GB RX6800
    I think the same. Excellent prices getting more people onto the AM4 platform and therefore an easy upgrade path, even a couple of years down the line.

12. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    Yeah if AMD keeps their pricing at this level (meaning the usual pricing) I see myself switching to Ryzen+ / Ryzen 2.0 and thereafter if they're enough of a performance bump vs. Ryzen.

13. geogan

geogan Maha Guru

GPU:
    4080 Gaming OC
    You know I *was* going to build a Ryzen system to replace my ancient X58 Intel motherboard/CPU, but then I saw youtube videos where reviewer said he was having all sort of bugs and errors and crashes until he completely re-installed a fresh Windows installation from his previous Intel based Windows install.

Well there is NO way I am going to reinstall Windows and all programs/utilities and all their updates I have ever used again, so no way I can buy Ryzen system. Much easier to upgrade to 8700K or similar and Intel motherboard and keep all my Windows software as is without having to start from scratch.

And I did really want a Threadripper system and the guaranteed re-use of motherboards that AMD promise for a few years... unlike Intel changing and making motherboard obsolete every year...

Last edited: Nov 23, 2017
  14. Vananovion

Vananovion Member Guru

GPU:
    Radeon RX 6800 16GB
    IMHO: even though modern Windows is able to run when the MB+CPU changes, I would still recommend a fresh install. Even when upgrading within the same brand/ecosystem. You can't know what kind of low-level stuff OS configures during installation, that is impossible to re-configure later during runtime or start-up.

For me it is also kind of a "cleansing" experience, especially if I ran the same system for several years. Various mess and one-off utilities pile up over time and it feels good to just throw it out completely and install only what I need and use regularly. I can always install whatever I want when I need it.

15. geogan

geogan Maha Guru

GPU:
    4080 Gaming OC
    Yes i have done this myself a few times over the years when upgrading Windows or when C drive fails... but it is a total pain in the ass if you haven't got the time for it... or are not building a new machine from scratch.

It also "tricks" you into thinking your new machine is faster than the old because of your new hardware, when a lot of the time Windows is just faster because it is fresh and doesn't have all that stuff Windows builds up on every app install or upgrade (the massive inefficient hidden folder of millions of versions of old files for compatibility and registry). Windows *appears to be designed* to slow down over time to trick people into buying new hardware/software.

16. MonstroMart

MonstroMart Maha Guru

GPU:
    RX 6800 Red Dragon
    That's why these days i use the portable version of an app when available. The registry might have been a good idea on paper but in practice it ****. I use portable apps and put then on a secondary drive and backup them on an external drive. This way when i have to reinstall windows i have to reinstall just a couple of apps like Visual Studio and Office. For the other apps i just restore my E: drive. I also save settings/saves in the cloud when possible. I love Steam it's so easy to recover backuped games with it. Just copy the Steam folder and these days pretty much all games support cloud saves.

17. D3M1G0D

D3M1G0D Guest

GPU:
    2 x GeForce 1080 Ti
    Eh? I thought it was established practice to reinstall Windows after a mobo upgrade - it doesn't matter if it's Intel to Intel, you still need to do this. I recently swapped out my ASRock X370 board for a MSI X370 board, but I still reinstalled Windows on it since it was a new board. Using an old Windows installation with a new board is just asking for trouble.

18. fry178

fry178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 2080S WB
    @geogan
    hope your joking, as a full install of win7/10 from a usb stick takes about 5 maybe 10min max (to an ssd).

besides that, im not the only one that will be refusing any help/support for that system/user,
    if the board was changed (different one, no matter intel/amd or brand), and windows not clean installed.

anyone to lazy to the bare minimum (clean install and newest drivers), deserves to have trouble getting it to run...

sidenote: a clean install of windows after it was used for more than 8-12 month, gains usually around 25-50% in overall "performance", beating any "system cleaner" you can find.

19. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    Agree a clean install is mandatory after a mobo swap even if keeping processor brand.
    Takes literally 10 mins from USB, ofc you need to download the image and backup everything, which can take hours if there's lots of stuff. But of course you keep and make backups anyway, right?

To my surprise when I switched from Intel to AMD (Ryzen) Windows did boot up successfully, but I clean installed right away. I missed the timing for Boot Menu in BIOS so accidentally booted from the old Windows installation the first time.

20. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    airbud7 likes this.