AMD Ryzen L3 Cache Bug seems Fixed in a New Windows 11 Insider 22000.282 Insider Build

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Oct 19, 2021.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    All ADL reviews will have to be based on Windows 11, as Windows 10 does not have a thread scheduler for Alder Lake. That said, it makes things complicated for sure.

eGGroLLiO and k3vst3r like this.
  2. k3vst3r

k3vst3r Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KP3090 G9 240Hz
    Interesting is that Intel recommended or common sense applied by yourself?

3. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti

windows 10 doesn't know how to deal with a cpu whose cores aren't all the same.

4. Horus-Anhur

Horus-Anhur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2070 Super
    No wonder MS rushed the launch of Windows 11.
    They had to put the OS out, before Intel launched Alder lake. No matter what.
    Bugs, UI, and users be damned.

HitokiriX likes this.

5. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080S AMP
    So alder lake users will have to update acrually to make use of new hardware. Thats interesting.

6. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    you needed to be on w10 to use avx 512 for those cpus that supported it.

7. umeng2002

umeng2002 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Just be sure to check the fine print of any marketing slides Intel releases for Alder Lake to see which version/ patch level of Windows 11 Intel will use for comparisons.

I seriously doubt Intel will use Window 10 for the AMD system and Windows 11 for the Alder Lake system.

The fine print might even get cute and say something like, "Windows 11 fully updated as of 10/6/2021." It will totally blow by most normal people and press that the Ryzen patches were not applied then.

8. k3vst3r

k3vst3r Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KP3090 G9 240Hz
    MS could patch scheduler in windows 10 so it could though.

9. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    more to it than the scheduler

10. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX5700...
    My system never suffered from the reported performance degradation issue, so I don't know how successful the patch released last week really is.....but as a user, I'd still be a bit leery of trusting any direct comparisons made between competing Intel and AMD processors on Windows 11....and I actually enjoy Windows 11...
    So, knowing that Alder Lake is having issues with some DRM, are games using the affected DRM systems being omitted from reviews as well?

11. Horus-Anhur

Horus-Anhur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2070 Super
    Seems like the bugs with Windows 11 and AMD CPUs, are not over.
    This will not affect users a lot, since they don't change CPUs all that often.
    But it will skew results for reviewers, if they are not carefull.
    An it will make benchmarking a lot slower, having to reinstall Windows 11, every time you change CPUs.

Source

Last edited: Oct 31, 2021
    JAMVA likes this.
  12. mackintosh

mackintosh Master Guru

GPU:
    2080Ti
    At this rate I'm going to start believing in conspiracy theories.

13. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    You don't need to clean install, just change the 3 L# values in the Registry

Last edited: Nov 1, 2021
    Horus-Anhur likes this.
  14. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3080 Gaming X
    Windows finally asked me to upgrade once the Zen2 bug was fixed. Had to download two additional patches and install the chipset driver but now I'm good to do. Did a very basic comparison to old benchmarks but my scores have generally been low since I started running everything at default.

15. Ven0m

Ven0m Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080M
    As s 8700K user, after using Windows 11 for quite some time, I'll assure you in this decision.
    This is only one of many reasons why nobody should "upgrade" right now or in the near future. And these are words from someone who liked Vista and 8 too.

16. HARDRESET

HARDRESET Master Guru

GPU:
    1080Ti / 290X CFX
    Screenshot 2021-11-01 120030dh.png Window 10 vs 11 >﹏<

Netherwind and KissSh0t like this.
  17. barbacot

barbacot Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus 3080 Strix OC
    You're joking I hope...

First of all Microsoft is a business and like all businesses they are interested in making profit - why would they do something like this when a lot of users that run windows are on AMD systems or intend to buy an AMD system since nobody knows for sure how alder lake will behave in real world applications with this radical design??? - do you think that MS would risk so much for just another company?

And second it is AMD fault too - their driver and software development team was sleeping??? - why did they not saw this coming? - they most certainly had alfa and beta versions of Windows 11 for testing long before normal users!

Last edited: Nov 1, 2021
  18. Horus-Anhur

Horus-Anhur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2070 Super
    Exactly, they are a business. And they can't miss what is probably the most important launch, of the biggest X86 company in the world.
    So yes, I think that MS would sacrifice AMD's performance and stability, to get the new OS out in time for Alder Lake.
    The WinTel alliance is not as strong as it used to be, but it's still present.
    MS only dominates in the X86 market. They have almost nothing in ARM.
    So they really need to make their part work, on the WinTel strategy. And if Intel fails, MS fails, and their market share falls to ARM.
    AMD is only a fraction of the X86 market.

It was MS that changed the driver model. It was MS that rushed the Win11 updates, that broke compatibility, before AMD had their chipset driver ready, to address the preferred core issue.
    And it was MS that released the update that broke the L3 cache on Win11. It was not AMD.
    All you have to do is look at MS track record in the last years.
    It's a constant stream of broken updates, causing all myriad of problems.
    Just a few months ago it was the security issues with the printer spooler. Was this the fault of all printer manufacturers, of was it MS?

19. The Goose

The Goose Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Rtx3080 SuprimX
    OOOOHPS.... I spoke to soon lol, for the most part...everything works well or should i say aswell as windows 10 minus the one thing i used the most....my internet taskbar shortcut link tab.

20. Krizby

Krizby Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3090 Watercooled

Ryzen gain 2-5%FPS in Win11 vs Win10 where as Intel CPU gain none, where are the people who say MS is siding with Intel now :rolleyes: