AMD Ryzen Info and Clock Frequency Overview

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Feb 13, 2017.

1. SSD_PRO

SSD_PRO Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070
    Getting so emotional in your argument won't help. These people just share their feelings based on the slow drip AMD has been leaking out. Some days we get encouraging info, some days we don't. I find most of the information encouraging but I can understand the skepticism. One of the most damaging leaks was the chart showing the 8 core AMD product "comparable" to a 4 core Intel counterpart. That "comparable" might had referenced "comparable" price, performance, overall, features, who knows. The problem is it just said "comparable" which would be a really bad sign.

Relax people.

2. Jagman

Jagman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    16GB RX6800
    Don't known how good these sources are but they're certainly interesting....

Google R1700X (I can't link it properly)

And no Turbo apparently so running at 3.4GHz on an A320 board.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2017
  3. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    :infinity:

4. user1

user1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Mi25/IGP
    Not really a rumour one of the stated features of zen is the XFR tech,which allows the chip to scale its frequencies to the cooling solution, beyond the normal maximum boost clock.
    [​IMG]

An X version that defaults to this mode paired with a water cooler would make alot of sense. would allow any joe blow to pickup a self overclocking chip that requires no experience to setup and would offer comparable performance to a manually oced chip

5. Zeka

Zeka Active Member

GPU:
    PowerColor R9 280
    Reddit says XFR is "extended frequency range", so yes, it's just binned parts capable of higher frequencies

Edit: just saw the post above. Nevermind

6. Turanis

Turanis Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte RX500
    Its a shame we have in 21st century an CPU with 140W TDP!!!

Whats in Intel mind?OK,for enterprise market should be ok,but for end-user no way!Shame Intel!
    Maybe they need again to focus on mobile cpu,like Pentium M era.

Ryzen should be a great CPU,if will have a great IPC (instructions per cycle).Good 95W TDP for 8c/16t Ryzen CPU. :)

7. coth

coth Master Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 2060 Super EX
    The same way as current AMD APUs and CPUs where one core is nearly twice as less powerful as one Intel cores. It doesn't matter how much cores. Matter is how big and performant they are. Intel cores simply bigger, as have more transistors.

$50 is pretty much a lot. and it's waste of space.

So you do believe yourself that 8-core AMD has basically around same IPC as slightly more clocked 4-core Intel?

So, as I said, I won't believe it until i see it in a real action. We've already seen those strong number with Bulldozer that turned to be nothing.

In any way I don't need it. Clocked 2500K is still perfectly fine enough.

8. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    You do know that TDP is not necessarily real life consumation? And just wait for the reviews to see what an overclocked Ryzen CPU pulls, might be more than you think.

Btw. Ryzen won't have great IPC, it will have good IPC, but it will lack behind in years to what Intel offers right now in terms of IPC (if you really fancy just looking at IPC and nothing else).

9. Turanis

Turanis Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte RX500
    Ofc I know. :)

Remember when Intel sales has grown because of low TDP and ofc low power consumption.

10. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    I can see why people go for products with better TDP, it's just that usually buying the lower TDP CPU and then overclocking it doesn't make much sense, you lose any advantages you had.
    Just look at an overclocked Maxwell GPU from Nvidia and it's 'higher' efficiency at stock clocks compared to AMD's by then product makes no comeback once you overclock.

That's why we actually need real reviews, not just some leaked benchmarks and some stuff written on a white paper.

11. PrMinisterGR

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    Yes, that's why the FX-8350 is $140, and it's most likely a better choice than an i3 in that segment.

I don't know where you get from that Intel cores have more transistors. A 6700k is 1.75Bn transistors including the GPU. The CPU itself is less than 0.75Bn transistors. For all we know, Zen cores seem to be a bit smaller than that, but they are all very close (within 10% of the die area).

According to your logic giving $400 for four cores instead of eight is fine, but spending an extra $50 to get a spare GPU when something goes bad (which is already a tall order, but let's keep playing this), is unreasonable. Right...:infinity:

Do you even know what IPC means? That's per core instructions per Hz. For all we've seen up to now, Ryzen is more or less a Broadwell-E. Unless they have the same frequency and you only compare one core to another, you can't compare IPC. I also don't know where you see from the charts that the 8 core Zen CPU is comparable in any case with the 7700k. They are literally in different performance thresholds. If the charts are real, the 7700k is basically redundant.

Bulldozer was hyped up, but it's numbers have always been bad as far as I can remember. The 2500k is cutting it close these days, the lack of HT is hurting more than people realize.

12. Kaarme

Kaarme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070 FE
    Intel is lagging years behind Intel as well, so what if AMD does?

I don't know what else I could say about Intel when I switched from Ivy Bridge i5k to Skylake i5k and got amazing, mind-shattering 10% more power. 10% in three generations, hooray!

Intel has done absolutely nothing but collecting money for the stock owners the past several years. They haven't really bothered to develop anything, aside from the manufacturing process technology, and even that doesn't seem to be progressing so well, based on their 10nm troubles. They have just adjusted the old product a little to be able to release it under a new name to suck more money from people. How hard can it be to compete with a dinosaur like this?

13. PrMinisterGR

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    No dude, you're unfair. They bought Altera for 17bn, and now they sell McAffee for 3.1Bn, after they bought it for 7.7Bn. They have managed to send away their most experienced staff in an effort to "diversify" the workforce while being total dicks to older people being with them for decades. Truth is that their current CEO is totally below par, and a far cry from Andy Grove or even Paul Ottelini.

Their most successful recent product have been the iPhone modems, and even for them there are whole guides online on how to avoid getting a phone with them.

14. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    Uhm maybe you should read the first comment.

That's click bait article.

15. user1

user1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Mi25/IGP
    With Ibms power9 being on glofos 14nm finfet , Could mean good things for overclocking.

Those ibm chips are usually have high tdps....

Zen could have some very interesting top end frequencies with enough power of course.

16. Lane

Lane Guest

GPU:
    2x HD7970 - EK Waterblock

17. Zeka

Zeka Active Member

GPU:
    PowerColor R9 280
    Please tell us where did you find the benchmarks that clearly put 7700K with 1700X on the same level, on default frequencies?

So far, I have seen some chart that show:

1. AMD engineering sample running on low-end A320 board @ unknown clock (possibly inactive boost clock)
    2. Using 2400 Mhz memory with very loose timings
    3. In spite of everything still managing to beat i7 6900k in some tests
    4. Being slower at some tests but still managed to beat i7 7700k (4.20Ghz)
    5. Generally in between i7 6900 and i7 6850 in performance

I would say pretty good for the announced price, IF the charts are genuine.

Looking forward to guru3D testing these new processors

18. PrMinisterGR

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    Not exactly, because they have been actual cases where people sued for that, and there is also personal testimony of people I know. But I will give you the point that it's hearsay and move on from that completely.

Read this though, and tell me that it's a well-run company.

19. AlmondMan

AlmondMan Maha Guru

GPU:
    7900 XT Reference
    Intel's IPC hasn't improved noticably since Sandy Bridge :'(

20. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    Ugh what?

There are different performance segments that have different power usage,

Nobody wants a 30 watt part in a desktop PC because they will be significantly lacking in performance.

There will always be high wattage CPUs even 20 years from now..

Well when 90% (or w/e) of your workforce is over the age of 40 well that's about all i can say.

Not saying they are a well-run company.
    Poor management and practices plague all of these tech companies.

At this time only NV seems to be doing really well from current management.